Panic attacks and A new job

Scared2live

I don't know if anyone can help me, but I guess it's worth a try. I am 21 years old I have had panic attacks for 7 years. They have recently started getting really bad again. I got this job because my family is fincially unstable, and my mom is disabled so she cannot work, I KNOW that I have to work because I have too help out, but my panic attacks are so horrid, I get dizzy and scared and feel like I could just fall to the groud, my OCD is not a helping fact. I am going to be a waitress, and my social phobia is bad too, I can't let my family down, but I am so scared, what if i mess up spill someones drink on them, have a really bad panic attack, What do I do if im working and have a panic attack and cant get away, how can i stand there and face it, when I am use to just running jumping in bed and closing my eyes... how can i be strong enough to do this for my family...??????

Damaged

This is the reason im scared of getting a job :(

I find though when im out if i keep busy and move around a lot i dont have any panic attacks, so i think being a waitress sounds perfect, because you'll be going back and forth.

I know the first few days might be scary, but i think you should just think positive and you'll get comfortable within the work place. Think about what your doing and your doing it for yourself to get better and help to support your family i think that'd be a positive out look to help you get through the days.

Scared2live

Yeah I know, and I am trying to stay postive, but If i do have a panic attack the first thing that happens is my legs go weak, and then i start shaking, i cant be a waitress doing that, i will just be accident prone, I had a job at a waterslide and I couldnt even handle that. I pray and pray that I will be okay, but I wish i just had a job where they sat me in a room by myself all day long, so i dont have to face people. I know i am a nice person, and I do my best to make others happy, but they dont understand what is going through my mind, thought after thought after thought, and if im not having a panic attack i talk myself into one...

dottie

i was a waitress for a year and a half and i am a social phobe. you will drop drinks on people and on yourself. it happens. i've seen at least 60% of the waitresses i worked with cry in the back on some occasion and i'm sure there's more that i just haven't caught. it is a demanding job even for social people. all i can say is hold your breath and ride the wave. if i could do it and for that long you can do it.

LookingForward

I know i am a nice person, and I do my best to make others happy, but they dont understand what is going through my mind, thought after thought after thought, and if im not having a panic attack i talk myself into one...

Well there you go, thats your solution.... don't let your thoughts control you, difficult but can be done. I've had to completely reprogram my brain to stop the bad thoughts from controlling my behaviours.
When you find yourself having bad thoughts about your self, catch it, recognise that it is just crap, you being hard on yourself and think about something else, like that guys gotta be wearing a wig its way too wierd... make fun of guests in your head to lighten your mood...

And the best way to beat your anxiety is to just not give a **** when u make a mistake, everyone does, so what, just laugh at yourself...

In this case I think laughter is definitely the best medicine...
Best of luck, yu can do it girly...

Honda

Dont think too much about it, the more you think the more you will be afraid... Just go there, be yourself, dont push yourself to make and impression or such.. Were always afraid of the new, its natural.. Its just each human has a different phobia in this world...