Out-of-body virtual scenarios 'help social anxiety'.

Anomie

'People suffering from social anxiety could be helped to overcome their fears by viewing themselves taking part in virtual scenarios, research from the University of East Anglia suggests.'

BBC News - Out-of-body virtual scenarios 'help social anxiety'

I don't know how I feel about this. I think on one hand, it actually sounds like a fairly good idea. It feels like an extension of cognitive behavioural therapy and mindfulness. Instead of thinking about the way you're thinking, it's watching the way you're acting. Undoubtedly it's also great practice if you're not used to talking to anybody.

I'm not sure whether it would be translatable into real life scenarios, though. I mean there's a big difference between practising and actually being faced with the reality of social situations.

I guess it's worthwhile in providing the opportunity to practice and develop social skills. What do you guys think?

Flanscho

I think that for people whos life is severely crippled by SA it's a good idea.

Of course it will take a while, until the technology is available in enough places, and therapists are familiar enough with it to make good use of it.

OceanMist

The funny thing is nothing is hard as reality.

I do think it could help people learn social skills. It sounds expensive and something I'll probably never get to do. I'd love to try it, though.

R3K

everything these studies and scientists suggest as solutions and treatments... we've all been (individually-internally) doing already. it's like science and psychology are 30 years behind when it comes to social phobia.

Steelsoul

I think SA comes from our mind, so it depend on ourselves to cure it. If you don't try to do your best and believe in success, none of the therapies will help you

laure15

I would like to try it out, but the real test is when you go to the outside world and practice the skills you learned.