not knowing to swim

mozart87

do you see any connection with social anxiety, shyness etc.?
I make efforts to learn to swim. actually, I am in the stage of trying to relax when in water.
I started from being afraid of water, of keeping my head under water.
took some classes last summer but it didnt work too well, that instructor wasn't too brilliant..he just repeated on and on that I have to relax...
ok, but how?

now I am going to an indoor pool like a crazy fellow...I am the only one there that doesnt know to actually swim.

I consider taking one-on-one classes in the future, but they are pretty expensive so I have to wait for that.

I must say that from this little evolution I felt that I face lower anxiety than before.

anyone with similar stories? maybe not necessary with swimming, could be other skills:applause:

jaim38

When I was a child, around 4-5 years old, I was terrified of the pool. We have swimming lessons about once or twice a week. I would sit on the side while the other kids go into the water. One day one of the teachers threw me into the water and I was so terrified but later found out I wasn't harmed at all. So I began to enjoy being in the water.

But that's not the worst part. One time I forgot to bring my bathing suit so my teacher forced me to swim with him, in my underwear! And being a girl, I was very embarassed. The other kids were looking at me like I'm crazy. Luckily pub-erty hasn't hit yet so I was flat as a board.

Ithior

I can't swim with my head out of the water. Can't float either. Haven't really tried in the last like 6 years but I'm pretty sure I'm still the same.

neardeath

it will come to you. Mom learned to swim at age 65, so that's a success story. It will be to you, as well. Think positive! Once you hit your comfort level, I hope you love it.

Steelsoul

Me too. I still don't know how to swim. And i don't want to go to the swimming pool, not because of water but because everyone else will stare at me when i'm learning, especialy kids who are younger than me.

akala

I had trouble swimming and never learned until i was a little older... we grew up with a pool in the yard so I'd go out everyday and learn to float on my back, that took me a week or two... then i slowly started letting go of the noodle and trying to "tread" but it's still a little difficult for me but I can survive if I ever go in the deep end
takes lots of practice (atleast for me it did) good luck:thumbup: