No Thankyou

Hello everyone how are you all doing out there? This is my first time starting a thread :/ I just got back from GameStop..when I was checking out the cashier guy asked if I wanted to buy the membership thing that gives me 10% off future purchases and it cost $15. I kindly declined saying, "No thanks." he then started telling me the benefits and why I should get it..again I said, "No thanks, not today." then this guys kept asking me questions like, "do you come here alot? Do you play games alot? Etc" I said yes but I didn't want to get the membership card. (I wasn't rude about it either) then the other employee guy behind him overheard us and he came up to me and asked, "Why don't you wanna get the membership?" now I'm feeling embarrassed (line of people watching behind me) and Im a bit annoyed at this point because I didn't want this membership! Lol I again kindly said, "not today." then they both gave me the look like I'm an idiot for not getting it..I paid for my things and left feeling violated in a sense.

Has this happened to anyone? I feel like the nicer you are the more people feel like they can work you over. Imseriously considering being a douchebag to salesman like that in order to gain respect. Sorry for my rant..I just had to get that out..I won't be going back to that GameStop thatsfor sure.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
They are desperate to sell, that's probably why they insisted so much. It's like... if you don't buy it when they suggest nicely, they are going to annoy you to death until you buy it.

That's ridiculous... they probably get commissions on memberships. But the poor economy doesn't excuse their behavior.

U

userremoved

I have this happen quite a bit when I walk past those little stores they have set up in my mall with guys selling stupid stuff like iPod accessories. I try not to make eye contact but if I do, I have to tell them no like 5 times before they stop talking to me.

Shift

I hate when people do that to me, especially because I have a hard time saying no... I'm better with it now, especially since I'm more worried about wasting money than I am about caring what other people think of me.

Although, the other day I was at an auto shop buying spark plugs for my car and the guy was being really pushy about me buying this other stuff to make it easier to take them out for later when I need to change them again... And I ended up buying it because it was only like one dollar. And then he was trying to get me to buy LED flashlights, but I said no to that...

But I got home and my dad said it was a good idea to buy the stuff for the spark plugs, so now I don't feel like it was a complete waste.

mrb

yea sort of went into a shop today to buy a nintendo ds for one of my kids , all i got was do you want to pay later on credit , nope i said ill pay now , she said do you want a charger as well for that , i said why isnt there 1 in the box , she said errr i think so but ok do you want to apply for a store card , i said nope , she said how about some details of the offers we have in store at the mo , i bent over the counter to be a little closer to her and said , my dear girl ill say no to evreything you say and smiled , can i just buy it please and laughed a little , she smiled and said sorry i have to ask its my job, i said yes i know all sell sell sell at mo isnt it , she said yes it is looking a little red awwww poor kid she was only young ..... but got my nintendo and left ...... there only doing there job lol

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I have this happen quite a bit when I walk past those little stores they have set up in my mall with guys selling stupid stuff like iPod accessories. I try not to make eye contact but if I do, I have to tell them no like 5 times before they stop talking to me.

Next time just tell them to GTFO. That always works <3

yea sort of went into a shop today to buy a nintendo ds for one of my kids , all i got was do you want to pay later on credit , nope i said ill pay now , she said do you want a charger as well for that , i said why isnt there 1 in the box , she said errr i think so but ok do you want to apply for a store card , i said nope , she said how about some details of the offers we have in store at the mo , i bent over the counter to be a little closer to her and said , my dear girl ill say no to evreything you say and smiled , can i just buy it please and laughed a little , she smiled and said sorry i have to ask its my job, i said yes i know all sell sell sell at mo isnt it , she said yes it is looking a little red awwww poor kid she was only young ..... but got my nintendo and left ...... there only doing there job lol

One of my jobs right now is as a cashier, and the number of questions we're "supposed" to ask every customer is ridiculous- ask them for their e-mail, to sign up for a rewards card, apply for a store credit card, buy an extended warranty on certain products, for charitable donations, etc... and I do get commissioned on the warranties and credit applications. We're not supposed to be pushy though... and most customers are polite about refusing. It just sucks that I can only make more money by pushing things that people don't need or even want.

philly2bits

It happens all the time whenever I buy anything. They never get that pushy but I am always asked alot of questions about either getting store credit cards or signing up for special offers. They don't bother me too much. I just say no to everything.

mrb

One of my jobs right now is as a cashier, and the number of questions we're "supposed" to ask every customer is ridiculous- ask them for their e-mail, to sign up for a rewards card, apply for a store credit card, buy an extended warranty on certain products, for charitable donations, etc... and I do get commissioned on the warranties and credit applications. We're not supposed to be pushy though... and most customers are polite about refusing. It just sucks that I can only make more money by pushing things that people don't need or even want.

yep pants i do feel for you .... same as i feel for that poor girl who went all red talking to me , all sell sell sell , thats the retail trade for you :) and just think evreyone who comes through that door they and you have to try and sell stuff to :) hmmmm seems like hard work to me lol

yep I understand it's their job and I can relate cause I've worked in retail (not long only had a seasonal 4 month job) but still..I think after a customer declines more than once or in my case 3 times for the same product, it's unacceptable for them to continue trying to sell it to me :/

Lorraine Manca

where i worked, they threatened to fire you if you didnt get a certain number of people to apply for the store credit card each week. there were rules like "ask each person three times". it just goes to show you how nuts everything is.

mads

Try to say. No I am not interested. By that you say, please **ck of but in a nice way. By saying no thanks, not today, you are inviting them to try to push you more, because you are saying that, today I dont want but maybe later, and that little word maybe can really mean a lot in sales.

FOR REAL

Banned
there was a guy a few years back came to my door offering FREE dental insurance, and i was in a good mood that day, so i let it in.
half an hour later i wasnt in as good a mood, cause he kept talking garbage about all these other things i could sign up to! like axa insurance for over 50s, or remote controlled parosols for my garage!!
i tried the "no thankyou" option a few times, it never worked!
he said its only £2.50 per month, the price of a pint of beer, what would you rather have? a pint or teeth?
i said "a pint" and then i hit him, and he lost 2 teeth
ive not seen the guy since
but if the "no thankyou" approach doesnt work, try the "**** OFF" approach

Lorraine Manca

there was a guy a few years back came to my door offering FREE dental insurance, and i was in a good mood that day, so i let it in.
half an hour later i wasnt in as good a mood, cause he kept talking garbage about all these other things i could sign up to! like axa insurance for over 50s, or remote controlled parosols for my garage!!
he said its only £2.50 per month, the price of a pint of beer, what would you rather have? a pint or teeth?

theres a bright side, at least you got teeth to sell to the tooth fairy.

Luke1993

Wait, why was he offering you axa life insurance? Surely you can't be over 50?