Plan9

Hi, I don't really know where to start.

I'm from London, always have been. I'm not sure it's the best place in the world for the socially challenged.

I was told I had social phobia last summer when I went for CBT. Before that the only diagnosis I had was depression (at 18) but I knew there was more than that. The CBT helped. I look people in the eye now when i'm talking to them and everything *yay*. The underlying problems still exist and there was stuff that happened at the time which I felt I couldn't talk about but I think I need to talk about it but I don't really want to. I'm all for behaviourism (I have a psychology degree aka. wasted 3 years of my life (well it took me 4)) quick results, and who really want to go into the murky details of your psche? I don't.

I'm 27 years old and I think the problems started about 15 years ago, but I don't like to admit it.

Other than that i'm super normal, I have a job (that is really meant for extraverts but **** it) and cat and Ps3. All things considered I do ok.

Any way just wanted to introduce myself.

ImNotMyIllness

Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear that therapy worked. But, it's understandable that your social anxiety is still lurking in the background.

DeadmanWalking

Hey and welcome to the forum:). It's good to see that your therapy has improved you:thumbup:. Hope you enjoy it here.

Hood

Hi,
I know exactly how you feel. I haven't gone down the CBT route though, don't wanna talk about my issue any more than I have to, I've gone down the medication route instead - and that has helped a lot.
I gave up work a few years ago to look after a member of my family (I had a Driver/Courier job then which I loved, doing my job on my own, only dealing with people on a very quick basis which was great). Since they passed away I've had to get some sort of job urgently and so, here am, working in a huge department store filled with people (Ok, mostly before it opens) which was very difficult at first. But ultimately the working environment has improved my social skills and I'm ok with it now, a sort of DIY CBT it seems:). Still have the odd bad day where I find it difficult to concentrate, but I'm on talking terms with many of the staff now, at least the ones who seem to understand. But yeah, it's always lurking there in the darker corners of my mind, it's been there a long time now, so I'm pretty sure it's staying putt.

lonelee1

Hi, I don't really know where to start.

I'm from London, always have been. I'm not sure it's the best place in the world for the socially challenged.

I was told I had social phobia last summer when I went for CBT. Before that the only diagnosis I had was depression (at 18) but I knew there was more than that. The CBT helped. I look people in the eye now when i'm talking to them and everything *yay*. The underlying problems still exist and there was stuff that happened at the time which I felt I couldn't talk about but I think I need to talk about it but I don't really want to. I'm all for behaviourism (I have a psychology degree aka. wasted 3 years of my life (well it took me 4)) quick results, and who really want to go into the murky details of your psche? I don't.

I'm 27 years old and I think the problems started about 15 years ago, but I don't like to admit it.

Other than that i'm super normal, I have a job (that is really meant for extraverts but **** it) and cat and Ps3. All things considered I do ok.

Any way just wanted to introduce myself.

Plan 9 Channel 7!

welcome, i'm your age and have been suffering for about the same time, if not longer. i majored in psychology as well.

Plan9

Sorry for late reply, some how got very busy suddenly.

Thank you for all the welcomes you guy all seems really nice :)

Hood- I always think a job is better than any therapy (as sad as that sounds) as it forces you to do stuff you know you shoul but really don't want to.

Lonelee1- Good to see another Psychology grad, it's a tough degree.

Thanks for all the kind words.

ImNotMyIllness

Welcome to the forum! It also took me a long time to admit that I had SA. I also seem to end up in jobs meant for extroverts. Very stressful!