New in town...

sparsilestar

I've been browsing around this site for a while, and only recently worked up the nerve to begin posting. Needless to say, I've written this introduction about five or six times already, and now I'm afraid my 'backspace' key is damaged! So I hereby vow that this shall be my final draft.

My name is Alexa, and I'm 19. I live with my boyfriend, but do not work or attend college. I am both more happy, and more socially crippled than I have ever been. To be perfectly honest, I lay in bed an average of 20 hours a day, with the exception of the days we drive to visit my parents. Being that my boyfriend's parents live with us, and often have company over, I am afraid to leave the room.
I just recently got my license, and am allowed to take the family car if I wish, provided I get everyone to and from work in time... but I RARELY do.

I cannot seem to get the intensity of my fear across in words, though I am sure some of you understand. Or, at least I hope you do.
I was hoping perhaps this site could allow me to... I don't know, gain some sort of insight? Or maybe I just need a friend.
Either way, I've enjoyed reading all of your posts, and I hope to become a more active member.

Cheers, x

jonas89

Hi and welcome to the forum Alexa :) there's a lot to learn from the people on this site :) you can always say hi to me if you want to ask about anything or just for a chat.

Take care :)

DeadmanWalking

Yo Alexa! Welcome to the forum:)! I hope that you find some answers to your problems on this site! If you need a friend, I or anyone else on here would be glad to be yours! Anyway, I hope you enjoy it here and I'm looking forward to your posts!

Little Miss Muffet

Hiya Alexa,

welcome to SPW!!

Your boyfriends parents live with you you said. Wow thats got to be stressful? An ex boyfriend of mine who was foreign, his parent used to stay with us for a holiday of about three weeks, i found it so stressful. I used to avoid going home: it was really draining. His parents were lovely but it was hard. That was only three weeks for me so, i can only imagine what it would be like to live with someones parents.

Congrats on passing your driving test!!! :) What about the roundabouts OMG lol

sparsilestar

Hiya Alexa,

welcome to SPW!!

Your boyfriends parents live with you you said. Wow thats got to be stressful? An ex boyfriend of mine who was foreign, his parent used to stay with us for a holiday of about three weeks, i found it so stressful. I used to avoid going home: it was really draining. His parents were lovely but it was hard. That was only three weeks for me so, i can only imagine what it would be like to live with someones parents.

Congrats on passing your driving test!!! :) What about the roundabouts OMG lol

Yes, and they're very nice people (while sober of course... his mother is known for saying some um, things, whilst drunk) but I simply can't stop being terrified. Even if I'm not interacting with them, and am only hearing them move about downstairs I get all knotted up inside. I wish I could make it stop.
You are lucky it was only an extended holiday! Haha
But thank you very much :)

Iluv

I wish I could make it stop.

Hi welcome to the forum first off! Unfortunately we can't stop those sort of things, we can give support to assist themselves in making it stop but it has to be done on their terms. If you get a long with them talk to them, of course when their sober that's when you'll hopefully get your point across.

Last edited:

sparsilestar

Hi welcome to the forum first off! Unfortunately we can't stop those sort of things, we can give support to assist themselves in making it stop but it has to be done on their terms. If you get a long with them talk to them, of course when their sober that's when you'll hopefully get your point across. Living with drunk people can be hard I had my experiences.

Thank you for replying. :)
Living with drunk people is extremely new for me. My parents never drank a drop, as my father is somehow allergic to alcohol, and my mother takes too many psych medications. His parents' behavior is totally foreign to me, which of course ups the anxiety ante.

Iluv

Also, I want to make clear that I didn't mean to imply that I wish their drinking would stop... I meant my fear!

Oh ok I understand now. Fear is like a disease, the more you avoid and ignore the more it worsens or stays the same. Confront it! You just have to see that sometimes it's over exaggerated. But in your case I think the best is to tell them it makes you uncomfortable when somebody drinks. If we let fear preside for so long it doesn't get any better especially when you're living in the same house as it. Good luck.

sparsilestar

Oh ok I understand now. Fear is like a disease, the more you avoid and ignore the more it worsens or stays the same. Confront it! You just have to see that sometimes it's over exaggerated. But in your case I think the best is to tell them it makes you uncomfortable when somebody drinks. If we let fear preside for so long it doesn't get any better especially when you're living in the same house as it. Good luck.

Thank you very much for the advice! And I'm sorry about the mix-up. I realized after your reply that I was unclear.
If I weren't merely a guest in their home, I would do exactly this... however I feel obliged to keep my mouth shut. This isn't a permanent situation, and I am always granted privacy if I want it, and I'm fully aware that it's my own weird stuff that makes it hard. So, endure I shall.