New Here

GreenEyedRedHead

Hi everyone! I just found this site yesterday, and I'm glad I joined. There seem to be alot of caring people here who have alot of the same problems I have. I sat here for hours last night with a lump in my throat reading some of your stories. I just was so happy to hear that I'm not the only one with these fears. I mean, I've known there are other shy people and also people who can't go out in public and all that. But I've never heard of anyone else who's anxiety causes them to do the same things I do. I'll have to fill you all in on my story in future posts, but right now I just wanted to tell everyone that I'm going to a baby shower tommorrow morning. Three girls from my work got pregnant a few months apart. I was invited to go to all three showers. I accepted, because we talk alot at work and get along well. But when the days of the first two showers came, I couldn't bring myself to go. I made excuses that I was sick both times. I almost did the same thing this time, but I've just started taking Xanax two weeks ago and I'm hoping it'll get me through it. I'm still really nervous, but I'm not going to back out now. I'll have to come back on tommorrow afternoon and let you all know how it went. Wish me luck!

agoraphobickatie

hey welcome to spw! :) i wish you the best of luck at the baby shower!! just breathe easy knowing that it's all about that pregnant girl with the big belly! i really like this quote by henry ford that says "whether you think you can or think you can't - you are right." ..it seems kinda powerful to me, and it's totally true! all the negative stuff we say to ourselves is what puts us so far down.. try your very best to be positive, whether you believe the positive thoughts or not! keep telling yourself good things :) i hope all goes well at the shower, you'll feel so great and relieved if you stick it out!

mrb

hey welcome to the site .... i dont even know what a baby shower is :confused: but it sounds good :) i love babies , i used to talk to my kids when they were babies for hours on the bed , i loved the look on there faces as if to say ........ what the hell are you talking about , and does he ever shut up :rolleyes:

Hey welcome on board! ::eek::
I hope you have a great time here. And we totally understand you!
I can relate to what you said in your introduction!
So feel at home , we're like a big family :D

GreenEyedRedHead

Wow! Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Special thanks to Katie for the pep talk :). For Real might be a crazy man, but that's what makes scottish people fun. Mrb, a baby shower is when a group of women get together for a party to give gifts to an expectant mother and celebrate the coming baby. At most showers, there are usually games that can sometimes be embarrassing. That was kind of what made me the most nervous. Well, on my way to the shower, I took .5 of Xanax. I was pretty relaxed, and it turned out that there were only about ten girls there and all of them I work with. We had some delicious appetizers and punch and sat around and chatted. I was actually O.K. to participate in the conversation a little. About an hour and a half later, when the hostess announced we'd play some games, I started to get nervous. I took another .5 Xanax and tried to relax. Most of the games were O.K., like guess the nursery rhyme from some clues, cut a string and try to get the closest to the mom's belly size. There was one where we paired off and one person used toilet paper to make a diaper on the other. There was no way I was going to be the one that ends up with a picture on facebook of me wearing a toilet paper diaper! I managed to be the one to do it on my partner. Then we opened gifts and I was a little nervous when she opened my gift and I almost wanted to get up and go in the other room. I was afraid someone might comment or something. That's when I get most nervous, when people's attention is on me. But everyone liked what I got her and it was O.K. Of course after it was over, I regretted taking a whole mg Xanax to get through two and a half hours of my day, but at least I went and I'm glad I did.

mrb

Wow! Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Special thanks to Katie for the pep talk :). For Real might be a crazy man, but that's what makes scottish people fun. Mrb, a baby shower is when a group of women get together for a party to give gifts to an expectant mother and celebrate the coming baby. At most showers, there are usually games that can sometimes be embarrassing. That was kind of what made me the most nervous. Well, on my way to the shower, I took .5 of Xanax. I was pretty relaxed, and it turned out that there were only about ten girls there and all of them I work with. We had some delicious appetizers and punch and sat around and chatted. I was actually O.K. to participate in the conversation a little. About an hour and a half later, when the hostess announced we'd play some games, I started to get nervous. I took another .5 Xanax and tried to relax. Most of the games were O.K., like guess the nursery rhyme from some clues, cut a string and try to get the closest to the mom's belly size. There was one where we paired off and one person used toilet paper to make a diaper on the other. There was no way I was going to be the one that ends up with a picture on facebook of me wearing a toilet paper diaper! I managed to be the one to do it on my partner. Then we opened gifts and I was a little nervous when she opened my gift and I almost wanted to get up and go in the other room. I was afraid someone might comment or something. That's when I get most nervous, when people's attention is on me. But everyone liked what I got her and it was O.K. Of course after it was over, I regretted taking a whole mg Xanax to get through two and a half hours of my day, but at least I went and I'm glad I did.

well i now know what a baby shower is lol thanks , and well done for going , you would have kicked yourself if you didnt , way to go girl your on a roll :D

agoraphobickatie

that's awesome! :) don't worry about what you had to do to get through it, because it's a huge deal that you really did push through it! i like hearing when people are nervous about something and end up making themselves do it anyway and then feel good about it.. the story of my life! haha.. making myself do things i really don't feel comfortable doing has really helped me to make progress! again, welcome to spw! :D