New disorders caused by the Internet.

6 New Personality Disorders Caused by the Internet | Cracked.com

I've just read this article and I've found enough interesting to share with you. Do you feel identified with some of these behaviours? I remember I used to be a grammar nazi when I began to post on the Internet, but not anymore, due to the fact that my OCD is nowadays partially cured. By the way, in Spain grammar nazis are known as "ortographic talibans" ("talibanes ortográficos").

50515_51284635938_2762196_n.jpg

Respect the holy orthography!

Lea

Banned
:D. I know it's meant by fun, but they got wrong what asperger is. It is a widespread myth that they lack empathy, but from my experience it is rather not being able to get in tune with others. Which is completely unrelated. Many normal people in this world lack empathy, but they can be pretty cunning just because they are able to get in tune with others very well - and often they misuse it too.

Kamen

Asperger's Syndrome doesn't necessarily mean lack of empathy. It also doesn't mean lack of feelings and emotions. This is really one of the most popular myths when it comes to AS. Very generally, AS is often characterised by problems in emotional attunement (expression and perception on emotional level), i.e. the two-way emotional link with the outer world is a bit unstable and unclear when compared to the usual, built-in one, so a person may have to refine it consciously, and an observer might mistakenly interpret it in the aforementioned mythological way. In fact, many people with AS have very strong emotions, sometimes even stronger than neurotypicals, but it's just that others don't see this on the surface. Of course, AS is much more than that and it varies from person to person. Personally, I don't even call it a disorder, since it isn't something that comes and goes, but it's just the way some people are neurologically wired. (I myself suspected that I may have AS, but my doctor neither confirmed nor rejected this after we talked. It is often masked and much harder to detect in adults without thorough examination of the past.)

Last edited:
Asperger's Syndrome doesn't necessarily mean lack of empathy. It also doesn't mean lack of feelings and emotions. This is really one of the most popular myths when it comes to AS. Very generally, AS is often characterised by problems in emotional attunement (expression and perception on emotional level), i.e. the two-way emotional link with the outer world is a bit unstable and unclear when compared to the usual, built-in one, so a person may have to refine it consciously, and an observer might mistakenly interpret it in the aforementioned mythological way. In fact, many people with AS have very strong emotions, sometimes even stronger than neurotypicals, but it's just that others don't see this on the surface. Of course, AS is much more than that and it varies from person to person. Personally, I don't even call it a disorder, since it isn't something that comes and goes, but it's just the way some people are neurologically wired. (I myself suspected that I may have AS, but my doctor neither confirmed nor rejected this after we talked. It is often masked and much harder to detect in adults without thorough examination of the past.)

Interesting. Felt internal. Not shown external. I have that right?

Feathers

I didn't like the article. It did seem to want to be joking, but it wasn't very funny, and seemed on the border of insulting?

I think the internet CAN affect people in bad ways though.. And there's a grain of truth in what they write.. anonymity can bring out the worst out of some people etc.

There's an article that says 5+ hours of internet a day can cause depression and memory problems, I'll try to find a link...

awkwardamanda

:D. I know it's meant by fun, but they got wrong what asperger is. It is a widespread myth that they lack empathy, but from my experience it is rather not being able to get in tune with others. Which is completely unrelated. Many normal people in this world lack empathy, but they can be pretty cunning just because they are able to get in tune with others very well - and often they misuse it too.

It's cracked.com. I wouldn't expect them to be psychology experts.:rolleyes: