my intro

Hey everyone! I'm a 20 year old college student currently living in Florida. Basically, I'm here because I've always been painfully shy ever since I was a kid. I managed to overcome some of that shyness now in my upper teens and adulthood but I still can't manage to connect to other people due to my anxiety and fears. Unfortunately, I'm a junior in college and I have no friends right now. Truth is, I've never really had many close friends, mostly acquaintances.

Recently, something happened that caused me to develop depression and I guess because of the overwhelming loneliness and isolation that I felt, I decided to get free counseling from my school. I've been to about 6 sessions so far and I haven't really felt better. I think it's because I had so many issues it took us so long to get to the core of it. I took several tests and my counselor wrote me a letter summarizing the core issues I have... and all the issues she put down sound exactly like avoidant personality disorder. She even told me that she wants me to go to group therapy as well as continue sessions with her to sort of readjust the way I've been thinking of things. I plan on asking her if i have it next session.

Sorry for the long post! Nice meeting everyone

Aletheia

Hi dreamcatcher.

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. Maybe you'll connect to people here.

It's great that you have access to free counselling and that you're using that. It took me far, far too long to recognize that I needed help. Therapy isn't a magic bullet, but it can help make sense of your life. And it's helped me to know that I'm avoidant.

MikeyC

Welcome to the forum, dreamcatcher. You're doing good going to therapy (free!) and I'm glad it's making you see some stuff about your life. I hope you enjoy the forum.

Thanks Pyro! It's kinda nice knowing that I'm not the only one. It sometimes seems like everyone on campus is happy and surrounded by a bunch of friends, while I'm on the outside looking in. It's tough especially since people say college is supposed to be some of the best years of your life... and well I'm still waiting for those years to come by.

Srijita52

Thanks Pyro! It's kinda nice knowing that I'm not the only one. It sometimes seems like everyone on campus is happy and surrounded by a bunch of friends, while I'm on the outside looking in. It's tough especially since people say college is supposed to be some of the best years of your life... and well I'm still waiting for those years to come by.
^Yeah, I can relate. I'm also waiting for them. Welcome to SPW dreamcatcher, love your username :)