My grandad is dying

emre43

Every one of my family member's who were alive when I was born are still alive now. However, my grandad has been hospitalised for the last two months and the doctors say he hasn't got long left. I visited him today and he is a state. He kept asking for a pen to write us cheques (he did the same yesterday) and insists that he has won the lottery! He doesn't even have the strength to lift the pen and he keeps rubbing his head, they think he has suffered a stroke. It was horrible to see him like this because he has always had the ability to make me laugh and he's not the jovial figure that he usually is. I don't know how to deal with death and I really don't want to attend the funeral but I know that I have to.

I saw my counsellor earlier today but when I got back I heard the news that my grandad didn't have long left. It's another two weeks before I can discuss things with her again

Last edited:

WeirdyMcGee

I've lost so many people- and you'll find as you get older; it'll happen more and more.
It's a normal part of growing up, unfortunately.

I lost my grandfather just over a year ago. It was SO hard because he was in denial of his own mortality. He was angry that he couldn't eat anything-- but he didn't have any insides left to digest what he ate, so we couldn't even give him a decent 'last meal'.
I felt guilty the whole time.
I still feel guilty. I feel like I could have helped him somehow... but that's just wishful thinking.

It will be hard- but you have a family you can talk to about it.
Remember the good things-- it's okay to recall them. It's good to think about all of the good memories.
Write a journal, talk here, gather your thoughts.
Cry.
You'll be okay!

coyote

sorry to hear about your grandfather, emre43

it's hard losing people close to you

MikeyC

Sorry to hear that, emre. It's difficult. I lost one of my grandfathers in 2001 and his wife, my grandmother, is still alive but she's in a bad way herself. I understand what you're going through and you will heal in time.

MrJones

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather.

I remember when my grandfather died, it was devastating, he was like a father to me.

Time heal wounds, as they say.

Stay strong emre43. If you ever want to talk, I'm available.

Srijita52

I'm so sorry about your grandad, I was very little when my grandpa died so I don't remember that but I know it was very painful to loose my grandma last year. Just hang in there.

I'm so sorry, my grandpa died too. my grandpa was a great guy but he and grandma had been seperated for years. When grandma was at work, my grandpa would take me and my cousin to the mall to enjoy ourselves. Sadly he's not here anymore :( He died of cancer.

jonas89

Sorry to hear, it's really hard losing someone closes to you, I have lost both of my grandparents and I also lost my father last year which was hard when you are given the news that he didn't have long left.

Stay strong my friend