my dog charlie

mrb

now i have a dog called charlie its a yorkshire terrier , i love him to bits but he keeps peeing in the house , now he doesnt need to pee in the house , there is a little cat flap he can use to go outside , and he does use it all the time , so anyway , i came home from work today and i left the stair gate open on the stairs , so he thinking its funny i soppose went upstairs and has peed on my bed :mad: there is a big yellow stain on my bed now , so iv told him off again ::eek:: but he just looks at me wagging his tail , how do i get through to this guy ... should i pee in his bed , cos im really really thinking about it ......... prob is 2 min later hes jumping up and im picking him up saying look little guy this cant go on , talking to him like a human ... oh i dont know ... my fault i soppose , i left the stair gate open , sorry for the vent ..

Lol I have a year old chihuahua/jack Russell puppy. She peed on the bed a number of times even after I've walked her..I honestly don't know how to discipline dogs..I usually just yell and say BAD and point my finger at her then the pee lol I've read a lot online how dogs are very territorial animals... Charlie smells you on the bed.. So he's marking the territory..maybe spray some febreeze onthe bed so your scent is obscured? :/ it's worth a try...

Devrium

lol.. I don't think peeing on his bed would help you much.. but the imagery kind of made me laugh.. all I know is that on that show, "It's me or the dog" on Animal Planet, they walk the dogs like 20 billion times a day to get them to stop peeing in the house... Other than that I don't have any constructive advice for you except maybe try looking for articles online? I head Ceser Millan was pretty good.. well good luck lol

market.garden

How old is he? If it's a puppy, they say rubbing its nose in its pee puts an end to it. It sounds really harsh, but we were told to do that with our dog when we got him 12 years ago, did it once and he never did it again. Don't do it forcefully, but it'll understand that it's not allowed.

Gotta make sure though that like half an hour afterward, give him a treat, play with him etc to remind him that you love him.

mrb

How old is he? If it's a puppy, they say rubbing its nose in its pee puts an end to it. It sounds really harsh, but we were told to do that with our dog when we got him 12 years ago, did it once and he never did it again. Don't do it forcefully, but it'll understand that it's not allowed.

Gotta make sure though that like half an hour afterward, give him a treat, play with him etc to remind him that you love him.

um ... rub his nose init :eek: are you mad lol if i did that he would think so human like that is it :eek: and crap in my bed the next time ... you lol dont know charlie , in his little brain im coming home to his house , not mine ... thanks but no thanks , i dont want a terrotry war with the little fella ...

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
in his little brain im coming home to his house , not mine
Interesting. From what I've learned from watching the dog whisperer, that sounds like the problem right there. Unless you establish yourself firmly as pack leader, he will mark your territory as his own.

SilentType

Banned
Theres no use rubbing his nose in it unless you're there when he does it. You need to teach him to pee outside by taking him outside until he pees, then treat him by petting him and giving him a dog treat. If you catch him in the act of peeing indoors, rub his nose in it by grabbing his collar immediately and just put his face near the pee spot and say BAD DOG. Then put him outside for a half hour. Follow these rules and he'll learn to go outside in no time.

Peace

mrb

Interesting. From what I've learned from watching the dog whisperer, that sounds like the problem right there. Unless you establish yourself firmly as pack leader, he will mark your territory as his own.

right ... tomorow a few changes , im the daddy its my house , hes my pet im not his pet :mad: but ... but ... what if we have a fight and he wins ::eek:: yorkshire terriers can be quite vicious ... am i going out of my depth here ... will i be the one who has to crawl out of the cat flap to pee.. its ok for you , you dont know charlie :rolleyes:

market.garden

Haha, I had a cat like that once, he definitely believed it was HIS house rather than ours. It was like we were guests. Awesome cat though.

Yeah I'd never suggest doing the rubbing-face-in-pee thing unless you caught him in the act, otherwise he might just get confused.

mrb

How old is he? Maybe he's having trouble controlling it.

lol hes not a puppy anymore :rolleyes: far from it , he just like to pee in the house ... iv tried diff things like , if he pees ill put him outside for 20 min , or shouting at him saying LOOK LOOK , he looks i say noooooooo naughty boy , and put him out side again , so he sits there outside looking pathetic , whining to come in , so i let him in then does it again , but sometimes he does just go through the cat flap and pee outside then come back in again , hes does my nut in ......oh see what you mean your last post hes still a young dog philly hes not old hmmm about a year old now

Last edited:

lunarla

I looked after a Yorkshire Terrier for a couple months last summer! She was a good dog, reaaaally playful. But also very needy. Whenever we left her at home she'd chew on anything that was left out in the open. She chewed a few pairs of my shoes and the remote control when all was said and done. All the advice I have for you is to make sure you train Charlie somehow, someway while he's young to ensure that he won't carry on those habits. House training is actually really tricky. It takes a lot on the owners part. Take him out in intervals around when you think he might need to go, even if he doesn't. And if he goes in the house, make sure to scold him so that he knows it's wrong (nothing too abrasive though).

EDIT: you say he's not a pup anymore - you're screwed, lol. Well, actually, it's just going to be a whole heck of a lot more difficult. Good luck!

philly2bits

I would think that if it's a recent problem then it is something medical. But if he's been doing it all his life then I guess it would be a case of him not knowing any better. I'm sure you can teach even an old dog, but you do need alot of patience and a good instruction program.