music

IAMN

I don't know if this has to do with SA or just one of my little quirks, but I've always had a fear of people listening to music i'm playing on the stereo. When i'm driving in a car and come up on an intersection i turn the music off, when i'm in my apartment I always use headphones. When i'm in a public place I don't put on the mp3 player until i'm absolutely sure there is nobody around-- even then i keep the volume at a minimum to ensure none of it leaks out. I'm sure there is a name for this but i don't know where to begin typing that into google. Does anybody have an idea/share the same trait?

Same here.

I'd rather listen to music through my headset that is missing one ear piece, then through my perfectly fine speakers.

I have the same thing with TV. I don't want to be the one to choose the channel, nor do I like it when someone joins me when I watch something I like. I'm always afraid they're going to think my music/TV choice is stupid.

recluse

OMg:eek: I can relate! I feel that people will judge me for the music i listen to. For example if i listen to classical music i fear people will judge me for not fitting in with the image of someone into classical music, on the other end of the scale if i listen to metal i fear people will judge me for not fitting the image for that either.....It's bizarre!

awkwardamanda

I'm kind of like that. I wasn't always this way though. When I was a teenager I didn't care so much. My taste in music has changed somewhat since then, but I don't think that's why. I'll listen to music quietly in my room, so that it doesn't bother anybody. I'll turn down the volume even more or else shut it off completely if I have to open the door at all. Or else I'll just use headphones. I only use an mp3 player at the gym. I don't like people to see me walking around in public with headphones. If I just turn on a radio station though, I don't care as much but I still keep it quiet. I won't even ask for CDs for my birthday or Christmas anymore. I used to, but now I'd rather just buy them myself. I'm pretty sure my family and friends don't even know what my favourite music is, aside from maybe style.

Richey

yeh if i listen to ween or dick dale i get paranoid that people will think i'm creepy ..

if i listen to radiohead or kate bush i usually turn down the volume when people come into the room and then i'll hum like nothing happened, lol ...

same with rockier songs as well sometimes but generally its emotional/gloomy music that gets me all self conscious

if its something straight ahead like the darkness, blur or queens of the stone age i don't care then

Felgen

I used to be like that, but after I got a decent stereo, I realized that I had to push myself to using it. :)

Kate Bush is one of the greatest female artist of all time, by the way. She has plenty of male fans. ;)

IAMN

I used to do that and even hated telling people I knew what song I was listening to. I've changed now and don't mind if people hear the music I like but can still feel a bit "naked" .

I feel exactly like that. It's not like the fear of giving a speech in front of a crowd-- that I would definitely fear of being judged. The music thing is more of feeling "naked". There's gotta be a term for this, too bad I don't know latin.

xLindziex

I don't have this problem. Music for me is personal and I listen to it as I please. Sometimes I feel rude around others when I have wires in my ears, but never enough to stop listening. I am sketchy about telling others what my favorite bands are though. I've gotten some rude comments when someone found out my favorite band, I took it a little more personally than I should've. Music is just safe for me, I guess.