Music that gets you through a rough time

x000x

Do any of you have any music you like to listen to when you're depressed or have problems with your anxiety? When I go through depressed episodes I find that Nirvana really helps me distract myself from feelings really sad. I also get really into it and look up lots of their bootlegs and tons of new information on them, if I can find any.

Lost Girl

Usually any kind of music will cheer me up instantly if I haven't heard any for a couple of days. What I listen to really depends on my mood and what I'm doing. If I'm cooking I will either listen to hip hop, rap, or metal. If I'm doing general cleaning like vaccuming or folding clothes I like to listen to really daggy 80's pop and sing my little heart out. 90's alternative rock is probably my top feel-good music though. If I feel like chilling out quietly while reading, probably some 70's rock. If I'm drinking its ussually electro dance, rap, or some oldies. If I'm home alone I will try to get as much of my metal fix as I can, as no one else I know likes it at all! :x

lunarla

Classic Rock, definitely. But actually, I don't necessarily listen to Classic Rock to get me out of a depressed mood, I just listen to it when I feel good. When I'm feeling low I usually listen to things that match that mood too.

agoraphobickatie

it can be any type of music that i listen to to pick up my mood... there are tons and tons of songs that make me smile when i listen to them, so i try to put in a cd with some of those songs on them, but i love all kinds of music... typically rap/hip hop songs with a beat or something that makes me feel like i want to dance makes me feel better, and classic/southern rock.. and 311 is my happy music :) ..for me, songs tend to have a strong memory attached to them (i have a weird memory, very sharp, photographic, lol), so any song with a good memory will 'take my mind to another place', so to speak.. i <3 music in general, lol

Ill mainly have a hard time everyday so i mainly listen to Michael Jackson , Tupac and thats about it i dont like todays music as much as old stuff.

But since Michaels passing its been harder to listen without breaking down .

Hermit

DanFC

Heavy/Sludge/Stoner Metal gets me in the mood to do stuff and to squeeze out the crazy thoughts in my head.

So stuff like Baroness, Acid Bath, High on Fire, The Melvins, and even some Nirvana.

hangbi92

When Im in normal mood I usually listen to Pop/R&B/Dance or Rock music. But when Im depressed i prefer listening to soft music like ballad, symphonies, classicals or instrumentals. Theres a kid named Sungha Jung on YouTube who plays guitar, I often listen to him playing and hes my inspiration
And, I especially like Final Fantasy music

Last edited:

Luthien

Music doesn't really change my moods, it just emphasizes them. If I try to listen to something fun and up-beat when I'm sad, I'll go crazy! I like to listen to music that compliments my mood. When I'm really down, I listen to Orion Rigel Dommisse and lots of gothish, slow, minor stuff like that. I have a playlist of sad songs on Grooveshark if anyone wants to hear it, just go to Grooveshark.com and search for the playlist "Requiem for my sanity"

Pookah

I like to listen to stuff that I can play loud, has interesting vocals/tracks and with powerful lyrics (though I will listen to bands with nonsense lyrics.)

Currently cranking up Muse. I've loved them since way back before the USA really knew who they were, they just keep giving us good music. (Europe has all the good music these days.)

YouTube - MUSE UPRISING OFFICIAL VIDEO HQ

YouTube - V for Vendetta + Muse (Love V for Vendetta too)

Just discovered The Birthday Massacre.

YouTube - The Birthday Massacre - Goodnight

fauxleigh

When I depressed I would not touch any music because it remind me of how fantastic life those musicians have - touring around the world, making music whenever they want, having a girlfriends, and they all seem so socialize unlike me.

Luthien

I know what you mean, I stopped listening to music for a long time because I was so jealous of their ability to make the music they feel. I want so badly to make the music I know is in me that sometimes it hurts. Unfortunately, my fear of failure and self doubt keeps me from being able to really create music, even thought I want it so badly.

Oh, and just so you know, musicians have issues just like everyone else. Most of the people I ran with before this happened were musicians and it wasn't all girls and glamor. Some are constantly seeking validation through playing, some can't ever have a decent long-term relationship because they're always on the road, and some are just going completely crazy trying to manage their bands and their lives! Most people who seem like they have all the answers are just as screwed up as us, they're just better at hiding it.

Last edited:

lunarla

I know what you mean, I stopped listening to music for a long time because I was so jealous of their ability to make the music they feel. I want so badly to make the music I know is in me that sometimes it hurts. Unfortunately, my fear of failure and self doubt keeps me from being able to really create music, even thought I want it so badly.

I feel exactly like this a lot of the time. I try and dabble in creating my own music but I always end up being really disappointed in the product. I mean, I might think something has a bit of potential at first, but after a while I think it's complete dirt. And then there's times where I'll hear a song and I'll just think "Wow, I wish I thought of that." That literally happened to the fullest degree once and I decided I gave up on creating my own. And so, I am perpetually covering other people's songs.

tooshytosay

"Unwell" by Matchbox 20

Here's a part of the lyrics I like:

I'm not crazy I'm just a little unwell
Right now you can't tell
But stay a while and maybe then you'll see
A different side of me...

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I usually listen to music according to my mood (Like... if I'm sad, i choose depressing music, and if I'm angry I choose something more agressive)... It helps a lot.