Missed Opportunities in life

TooShyShy

What about missed opportunity with love..womenor men, does it affect you down the road, having had the chance but pushing the person away...do you still think about her/him years later? Any regrets?

JCS008

I always think of a girl I had a huge crush on in HS. She was pretty popular and did well in school and was a pretty good athelete on a few sports teams. She was very well liked by everyone because she was just a purely nice girl. She was friendly to everyone regardless of who they were, and basically treated everyone well. It it wasn't in the flirty kind of way, it was very genuine and sincere. Physically speaking she was cute, but not your classic hot girl. BUt it was her personality that made her so attractive to me. KInd of like a girl next door type of personality.

Anyway, she was definitely in the popular crowd, and I was just avereage. I had my group of friends and got along with most people. I did Ok in school and was involved in sports and clubs also. But I just never had the guts to ask her out or at least try to be more than casual friends. Chances are she would have said no, but at least I would have known. I always regret not at least trying.

So after HS, we didn't keep in touch and went off to different schools. I found each other on FB recently, and I just learned she's married. And I know we never would have gotten married or anything, but it always bugs me that I never at least tried. Even if she rejected me I would have at least known and went for it.

Girls/Women like that come around once in a blue moon, and the thing that always eats at me is that i let it pass me by and didn't even try. I think I would have had much better closure if I had tried and she rejected me, but instead I'm left wondering.

Quiet Angel

I've missed the opportunity to ask out my very first crush. Now he has a girlfriend. Fortunately, I'm dating the love of my life, but it still makes me curious about what it'd be like to have dated him...

AlleyCat

I had a really big crush on this shy guy in HS. He seemed really sweet, but I was always too scared to approach him. I was just so afraid of rejection. I looked him up and found him on myspace once, and it looked like he was happily married, so I guess everything worked out the way it should for him. I didn't attend my prom or go to any dances either. At the time I didn't really care that much because I wasn't really into that whole thing, but looking back now, sometimes I regret that.

WelshOne

There was a girl in my highschool... I can only describe her as the girl of my dreams. She actually liked me too, she made that pretty clear... but of course I was TERRIFIED of her and couldn't think of a word to say to her when she would try to start a conversation. I think after a while she got bored of me (it probably came across as rejection to her,) and not long after I left that school.

I regret not making the most of that opportunity... I hate myself for it.

iamthenra

Oh how I know about missed opportunities in life. I have had too many crushes to even count. Too many times I have obsessed over a girl, and like always. I have never had enough courage, self esteem, strength to even ask anyone out. Three dates in my lifetime, which all occurred 3 years ago in the year 2007. None of those dates went any further than just meeting someone, which I knew ahead of time that they liked me, which made the anxiety tolerable. This for me is and has been a major priority for me. To find someone to marry me. But how can I when I can't ask someone out on a date? When I am honestly terrified, scared out of my mind, to the point where I become physically sick. This is the one thing that eludes me, and completes my life's goal. I don't want to feel loneliness anymore. I want to experience the last remaining goals in life, before I die. I want to experience, love, romance, marriage... It is folly to think that I will ever succeed in this last remaining goal, as long as I have SP and depression it will never happen...::(:

klytus

I haven't missed any, as there were none to miss. Not a single woman has ever been interested in me. That's quite uncommon for someone who is around 20. Of course, I could've told one or two that I found them pretty, but that would've been everything. I have never been interested in a woman romantically, either.

doesit

had a few good missed opportunities,and most of them were only from me fancying other girls :) but when you get older it gets easier ,and if you miss a chance with someone usually somebody else shows up in time :p and it starts all over again.

klytus

Mh, well, but was it an 'opportunity' if she didn't like you back? If it was only you fancying her, then it was a potential opportunity, not an actual one.

BlackKids

I've had two girls who basically threw themselves at me but I was too much off a pussy to do anything about it. One who was drop dead gorgeous and had almost every guy in the village trying to get with her.
I feel alright about seeing her now as shes so lovely but I used to feel so ashamed and worthless.
Would of properly been one of the best things to happen to me but I find it so difficult to expose myself emotional. Not sure if thats SA or just me.

TooShyShy

That's a real shame..what made you feel worthless in that situatuion, if she were gorgeous and wanted you that should have made you feel GREAT..not unworthy, can you explain it ?

One that i always rememeberd was this girl i met when i was in hospital for ages gettin better from my op. i was 20 so only 3 years ago.

Anyways i seen this girl around a few times when i used to go outside to smoke i would pass her in the corridor and she had bandages covering her face and head and i thought she was in a car crash at first so anyways after awhile i finally met her out at the smoking area and as ya do we began talkin about why we was in hospital and she was in cause she was in a fight with another girl and she got cut all over the face and head with a pair of scissors after awhile of meetin for smokes we was always together and used to vist each other in our wards for hours now she was pretty good lookin even with the cuts on her face she was a few years older then me think she was 26 at the time i liked her but i was more happy i just have a friend i could talk to and spend time with cause i have no parents and nobody came to vist me only my granmother sometimes.

But then one morining i went to see her and the worst thing happen, she was discharged from the hospital early that morning! i was heartbroken :(
i fell back into depression big time the one person who made the stay in hospital bearable i was so sad for ages i missed her big time.
Then after i was better a few months later i had to visit the hospital again for a check up and as i am waiting who do i hear speakin? only the girl! as soon as i heard her voice (she was on the phone) i knew straight away who it was i said to meself "thats Yvonne" sure enough i turn around and it was her i could feel my stomach get all butterflys in them haha let me tell ya she look sooo good all the scars were gone and her hair was cut proper ya never would know she was cut up so bad one time.

We went out side for a smoke before she left and we talked for awhile and said how good we both looked lol and just before she left i was gonna ask for her number and i had a feelin she wanted to give it to me but the person she was waiting on was calling her and she left and i never asked for her number :( i was kicking myself for weeks after that i wish i just asked but was too nervous she never took back her lighter and i still have it to this day i just keep it as a reminder and sometimes when i pass by the flats were she lived i just hope someday i'll see her again

Last edited:

JCS008

that's a sad but good story redzer, its amazing how moments like that which come soff as so simple can still stick with you for a lifetime.

FOR REAL

Banned
trying to think how to reply to this
i was going to make the long speech thing! (dont worry im not going to)

ive felt the same, what if, what if, X 20

it wouldnt of mattered if the girl had scars or not to you (attraction was already there)

i always think a scar on someone makes them interesting and more attractive.

you know those girls that stand outside nightclubs with fake blonde hair and a skirt half way up there arcc!
i cant stand them.

i hope to meet a really nice and special girl one day.

hope all goes well for you
cheers

klytus

You know, Redzer, if you had really wanted to, you could have contacted her one way or another. The hospital has all her data archived, likely even a phone number. However, it sounds like it was quite some time ago. :) Sad, but good story. The lesson is to only very seldom hesitate.

BlackKids

That's a real shame..what made you feel worthless in that situatuion, if she were gorgeous and wanted you that should have made you feel GREAT..not unworthy, can you explain it ?

My anxiety was the worse its ever been. On top of that I was extremely self conscious. Even though I fancied her and would of loved to be an item I felt like I couldnt go through with it. I guess that I thought I would be eventually humiliated so It was better to shelter myself.
What I meant by saying I felt ashamed and worthless was she made it so obvious she was interested. She exposed herself and It basically came across as rejection. I felt that a twat for not just letting go

Rodox

What about missed opportunity with love..womenor men, does it affect you down the road, having had the chance but pushing the person away...do you still think about her/him years later? Any regrets?

Only the girl of my dreams,yes I think about it and regret everyday,after years.

JCS008

another regret i have is that right after college, i didn't travel and go work overseas. i mainly passed up this opportunity because i wanted a better playing job in the states. not to mention i was in a relationship at the time (which eventually failed). if i could go back, i would have worked overseas for a years, saved a little money. but mos timportantly, i would have tried something new and had such a great experience. now i always regret it, cause its just not something i could do at this point in my life anymore.