Military

sabbath9

Banned
I know I'm opening a can of worms here but...

I can't help but feel that the military in this country (and most others) are nothing but a bunch of cowardly bullies. They don't help people (remember Hurricane Katrina). All they do is spend money (we don't have), kill people (mostly defenseless civilians), and get drunk. I don't have much sympathy for the soldiers, yes the economy sucks, but killing people just to make a buck seems wrong.

Women are raped and murdered by ours and other soldiers and usually they get away with it.

The USA spends more money than all other countries combined. Are we any safer? Hell no! Murder and mayhem are rampant in the streets.

Noca

Banned
Soldiers fight for our freedom so that you can say stupid remarks like you just did.

WelshOne

Well Im not aware of troops from my country raping anyone. Not since the middle ages anyway...

I know more than most about the military (in Britain at least) and I can say that most of what you say is misguided. Watch some documentaries on the Discovery channel and you may change your view.

Of course there will be SOME bullies (and bad people in general) in the military, but that is true of any organisation in any country in the world.

Also, RAF Regiment troops in Afghanistan, for example, regulary do good-will missions to help local towns and villages in order to get the local people on their side. In any global emergency thousands of tonnes of supplies and aid are air lifted to where they are needed. Just two examples of how the military DO help people. I could list hundreds...

Sorry if this post comes across harshly or something, its not meant to be. Its just that I have hopes of joining the RAF in ~2 years time and the OP was a bit unfair IMO :(

Noca

Banned
btw Sabbath, if you dont wanna stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them thank you.

Remus

Staff member
My cousins a Colour Sargeant in the Royal Engineers, at the moment he's serving in Afganistan, I've talked to him alot about things as I'm against war but one thing he put across is that his "boys" always behave themselves.

I agree that the US wastes alot of money on its military..... nukes that is, they are doing alot to reduce that though

doesit

Who’s threatening your freedom?
id say you dont watch tv ,or know little about history if you are asking such silly questions.id say every country should respect soldiers especially americans,because if not usa and britain now we would be living under nazi and comunism regimes.all those middle east,china,n korea, african countries are threat for the world these days.

The army should only be used for protecting one’s own country. And only if we have a direct threat from an invading force. Both Britain and America need to cleanup their own back gardens. We need to stop worrying about how others leave theirs.

Last edited:

Remus

Staff member
China? what have china done apart from export alot of goods

I think we need to be careful what we post on here, mayn people are from the countries mentioned, I doubt they see themselves as a threat.

The world is not run by the USA and UK afterall

id say you dont watch tv ,or know little about history if you are asking such silly questions.id say every country should respect soldiers especially americans,because if not usa and britain now we would be living under nazi and comunism regimes.all those middle east,china,n korea, african countries are threat for the world these days.

Of course, I watch the news, doesit. I just don’t watch too much off it, like some of you here. It’s feeding nothing but doom & gloom which your gladly soaking up. My point is, war should be personal, a direct threat to one’s own freedom. We don’t need the US and British army to protect the world, that’s why we have NATO and the UN. If we were to suddenly pullout of all middle-eastern countries where you do think the US & UK armies would go back to? Our own counties of course, so your freedom would be double what it is now.

Doesit, how can you ask an even stupider question than me? Don’t get me started on that old US saved the war debate.

Would also like to add that those Reds Under the Bed, helped win the war.

Last edited:

WelshOne

There is the he proverb, "Attack is the best form of defence," though. Sometimes it is necessary - though I wont go into what I think about current conflicts now.

As for China's military... its mostly a defensive force, but (without offending anyone) it can be said that they still have ambitions too - there was the Taiwan Straits Crises, which is still a topic of concern today. I wouldnt think China is a threat to the West, though (due to their intentions, not their power, I mean.)

I know for one though, that money is a big issue. The RAF, for example, is severely stretched on its budget. If they were not involved in any current conflicts, a huge amount of money could be saved... but their job is more than just aiding in defence of the UK. I think many conflicts may be avoided by invlovement in others - meaning a country gains a reputation for its military action, and others may think twice about agressive actions based on that.

Last edited:

market.garden

The army should only be used for protecting one’s own country. And only if we have a direct threat from an invading force. Both Britain and America need to cleanup up their own back gardens. We need to stop worrying about how others leave theirs.

I disagree with that. There's always talk of "We shouldn't be in Afghanistan" etc,
but if we weren't there, then the Taliban would still be in power, still murdering and torturing their people, treating women like animals and preventing girls from going to school.

As developed western nations we have a moral duty to protect those who suffer. There should be less of an "Us and them" mentality - the Afghans are our fellow humans and suffered unimaginably pre-9/11. If you see someone suffer in the street, you would naturally want to help them - people in other countries shouldn't be different.

doesit

China? what have china done apart from export alot of goods

I think we need to be careful what we post on here, mayn people are from the countries mentioned, I doubt they see themselves as a threat.

The world is not run by the USA and UK afterall
i meant the leaders who run them countries not the people who live there ;)
anyway this topic is endless and people from different countries have different attitudes towards it.pace

I disagree with that. There's always talk of "We shouldn't be in Afghanistan" etc,
but if we weren't there, then the Taliban would still be in power, still murdering and torturing their people, treating women like animals and preventing girls from going to school.

As developed western nations we have a moral duty to protect those who suffer. There should be less of an "Us and them" mentality - the Afghans are our fellow humans and suffered unimaginably pre-9/11. If you see someone suffer in the street, you would naturally want to help them - people in other countries shouldn't be different.

That’s the problem with this whole situation. They aren’t part of the western civilisation. They are less developed, which makes us want to help more. The west has advanced somewhat since the middle ages, we have our own history of violence; look at us now. We learnt from our own history. We should let them do the same instead of teaching our morals. They have to learn for themselves, not be forced. They have to want freedom.

market.garden

Problem is though, that even when a nation wants to develop and progress, they are often held back from doing so by an ignorant (but well armed) leadership, as in the case of Afghanistan, N.Korea, Iran etc.

A country like Taliban era Afghanistan needed regime change. Would it be wrong for us to say "Your culture is bad" - Yes, of course it would, but just as black is black and white is white, it is morally wrong to ban girls from gaining an education (an idea the Koran rejects) - the crimes they committed are immeasurable and we stood by and watched them suffer for 5 years before we did something. The fact that they are not part of 'Western Civilisation' shouldn't come into it, they're still the same as you or I.

B

Big Wally

Generals gathered in their masses
Just like witches at black masses
Evil minds that plot destruction
Sorcerers of death's construction
In the fields the bodies burning
As the war machine keeps turning
Death and hatred to mankind
Poisoning their brainwashed minds
Oh lord yeah!

Politicians hide themselves away
They only started the war
Why should they go out to fight?
They leave that role to the poor

Time will tell on their power minds
Making war just for fun
Treating people just like pawns in chess
Wait 'til their judgement day comes
Yeah!

Now in darkness world stops turning
Ashes where the bodies burning
No more war pigs have the power
Hand of God has struck the hour
Day of judgement, God is calling
On their knees the war pig's crawling
Begging mercy for their sins
Satan laughing spreads his wings
Oh lord yeah!

sleepysparrow

Generals gathered in their masses
Just like witches at black masses
Evil minds that plot destruction
Sorcerers of death's construction
In the fields the bodies burning
As the war machine keeps turning
Death and hatred to mankind
Poisoning their brainwashed minds
Oh lord yeah!

Politicians hide themselves away
They only started the war
Why should they go out to fight?
They leave that role to the poor

Time will tell on their power minds
Making war just for fun
Treating people just like pawns in chess
Wait 'til their judgement day comes
Yeah!

Now in darkness world stops turning
Ashes where the bodies burning
No more war pigs have the power
Hand of God has struck the hour
Day of judgement, God is calling
On their knees the war pig's crawling
Begging mercy for their sins
Satan laughing spreads his wings
Oh lord yeah!

market.garden

Communist tyrant run countries such as north korea, china, iran, and nazi germany in the past etc. You obviously take your freedom for granted.

How is China threatening the US?

North Korea probably more than anyone with the way they've handled this nuclear situation.

Iran - just posturing. They only care about power over their own people, and as narrow minded as their government is, they're not foolish enough to start a war they know would result in their demise.

Noca

Banned
How is China threatening the US?

North Korea probably more than anyone with the way they've handled this nuclear situation.

Iran - just posturing. They only care about power over their own people, and as narrow minded as their government is, they're not foolish enough to start a war they know would result in their demise.

They are all communist countries with nuclear arsenals.