memory (lack off)

simpsons2007

I think this is in the right place?

Ive always had a problem remembering things ever since I was young. I think? lol :). I cant ever really remember being able to remember things.

Learning at school was hard as hardly nothing they taught me would stay in my head. I wanted to learn but my brain wouldn't keep the information in, no matter how hard I tried. I was in the bottom class for everything as my grades were close to failing. For quite a while I would keep asking the teachers for help and they just didn't care. So I just gave up in the end.

The only real vivid memories I can remember is the 10yrs of hell I went through with being bullied and some other bad stuff since. Thats the only sort of things my brain will keep in its memory. It feels like the bulling happened yesterday but really its been over 10yrs since it happened but its still fresh in my mind. I cant remember none of my birthdays even special birthdays eg my 18, 21 or my most recent one my 30th which was only 6months ago, Christmas's can't remember any not even my daughters 1st Christmas, my daughters 1st word or when she 1st walked, can't remember family holidays had family holidays from 5 til I was about 15. Or any other special moments in life.

I cant remember what my dad looks like he walked out when I was about 5. My mum said he would come around once a yr til I was about 12/13 and after that he just stopped he couldn't be bothered anymore probably too much hassle for him to see his kids. But as you can guess I don't remember seeing him or have any memories of him. If my dad walked past me in the street and said "hello" I wouldn't even recognize him I would just think it was a stranger saying "hello". The list goes on but I wont bore you with it all.

Most of this stuff I should be able to remember but I don't it just feels like most of my life is a blur. I know some of the stuff I can't remember I can put it down to the 10yrs of being a drunk which probably hasn't helped my brain cells. But I don't think the drink would've wiped most of my memories out. Maybe I just got a dodgy brain. lol :)

Theres one memory that I really want to remember but I just cant no matter how hard I try. When I try to think back about this one particular memory it makes feel more depressed and a failure. If I didn't have a photo of me there I would never believe my family when they said I was there. Oh I wish I could remember stuff.

My family takes the pee out of me about my rubbish memory they laugh and joke about it they don't take it that seriously. But I think its quite serious not being able to remember stuff. I'm just glad I can remember who I am and where I live.

I brought myself a camera a fews yrs ago so I could take pictures of daughters birthdays and Christmas's so I could have something for my memories.

If you made it to the bottom well done. Hope I didn't bore you too much. lol :)

Minty

I can't remember things exactly how they were said. I take note of meaning more than I do the actual words, so I find myself repeating the gist of things. I'm not very good at telling jokes or long stories, so I don't even bother. XD I had depression the beginning of middle school to about junior year in high school and I heard that long term depression can affect one's memory.

You didn't bore us! This forum is for you and anything you want to tell us (as long as it's appropriate). Thank you for sharing with us.

carr

your brain can work differently under stress

my therapist has told me about how often being stressed at the time of the brain recording info affects how much memory of that information you actually can recall later

eg when being introduced to people I'm always really stressed that my brains so busy just trying to cope with not being overwhelmed so it doesnt give taking in the peoples names much priority

this kind of makes sense for me because in other areas when Im learning and not under stress my memory's quite good

Thelema

Memory can be increased.

Running has been shown to increase long term memory and brain processing speed.

A game called dual n-back has been shown, in a growing number of studies, to improve short term memory. I've been doing n back for a while now. It should make a visible difference. Its free to get and do a search for the google n back group (I can't post links). Tons and tons of people doing it and way more information on memory and cognitive function than you'd want to know.

Kiwong

Lately I think of a good song to search for on you tube. And when I go to search I have already forgotten the song.

MsBuzzkillington

I have the remarkable capacity to forget a person's name within 2.34 seconds of being introduced.

I have this same problem.

But it's mostly as the night goes on that I realize I can't remember the names of anyone that is around me that I've just met.

I have a pretty horrible memory when it comes to school stuff. Things I have learned in the past I never really retained. Childhood favorite movies and shows and whatever, I don't remember anything about them. I never seem to do that well with conversations because I can't remember good details about the things I am interested in. "Oh yeah, that one movie, with that one person yeah I liked that"

Paahi

I used to have really bad memory, but as I am lowering my medication I am getting better.

your brain can work differently under stress

my therapist has told me about how often being stressed at the time of the brain recording info affects how much memory of that information you actually can recall later

eg when being introduced to people I'm always really stressed that my brains so busy just trying to cope with not being overwhelmed so it doesnt give taking in the peoples names much priority

this kind of makes sense for me because in other areas when Im learning and not under stress my memory's quite good

I cant recall clearly if I went to a certain concert or not :confused: The year it was on was exceptionally stressful for me.

simpsons2007

It won't bring back your previous memories but have you thought about keeping a diary from now on? You're only 30 - many more exciting things are going to happen in life so you may as well make sure you'll always be able to remember those.
You could even put photos in it from time to time too.
Your memory loss sounds quite extreme, its one thing to forget school teachings but quite another to forget family memories as well, so I think you could do with some kind of physical aid such as a diary to ensure you don't forget anything from the future.
You could even write some of it retrospectively so that the things you can remember, you can record down before you forget it.
Hope this helps :)

Yes it did help thanks. I'm going to try and go out tomorrow and get a diary/a big note book. Before I forget anything else lol. That was a good idea never thought of writing it down before.

caringsoul

Banned
not everyone has good memory, its rare. i know how to have a good memory though, my depression didnt help, ever since i had my depression i became slow-minded, i couldnt pick up social-cue quick enough to respond, i am lacking in concentration.

Actually i had depression for a very long time but before i was thinking positive with my depression, i had a good memory, i think socially. I would pick up and adapt different personal quality i adore in people and apply it in myself and always seem to remember when or where or how to use it to suit social situation. but thats long gone now. my my negetiveness has gotten the better of me. which is why i need help!

my sister has an odd memory, because she seem to remember odd things like the name of a character from a film she watched when she was 12, shes 28 now. and other things that i wouldnt even remember. i dont know.. i think different people remember different things. my earliest memory was when i was a baby, and my grandma picked me up and i cried. true story. because she had bad teeth and it scared me.. i love her though. just my earliest memory. :) .. i was less than 1 years old.

"they" said taking omega 3 helps improve memory. so u mite wanna try it.
thinking positive and being an active person helps improve memory too. i know because its how i had a good memory in the past.
but not to say, everyone can be forgetful and being forgetful is normal.

positive doesnt nessasrily mean being happy, i think its more like looking and doing things that are in the lighter side.

u mentioned that u forgot how ur dad walked out.. sorry about what happen, maybe ur mind doesnt like storing sad memory.
and plus u was too young to understand what was happening, u was only 5.

Last edited:

simpsons2007

"they" said taking omega 3 helps improve memory. so u mite wanna try it.
thinking positive and being an active person helps improve memory too. i know because its how i had a good memory in the past.
but not to say, everyone can be forgetful and being forgetful is normal.

positive doesnt nessasrily mean being happy, i think its more like looking and doing things that are in the lighter side.

Thanks for the tip caringsoul. Next time I do some shopping I'll put omega 3 on the list and see if it does help with my memory. Lets hope it does. I will try anything if it will help my memory. :)

As for positive think. Thats a hard one for me to do as I have deep depression and I'm always looking at the negative side of things. I haven't yet found a way to change how my mind looks at things from making a negative situation into a positive one.