Make your SA less obvious?

Quiet Angel

My question is: What do you do to make your SA look less obvious to other people? *I'm curious* Often times, I'm faced with uncomfortable situations & I don't want people to have false impressions of me. This is what I usually do:

-Smile excessively
-Nod as much as I can
-Giggle a lot
-Straighten my body posture
-Eye contact & show I'm
really paying attention
-Often say short words like
"yeah" or "I agree" or "that's true".

I pray that I'll miraculously form a friendship this way.
By doing small things like this, I feel like I'm a little more
comfortable around crowds because at least I'm not doing
nothing... but I don't know if what I'm doing is fake?

dottie

i do all of those things and then worry that i'm overcompensating. i'm a bad actress. trying to seem normal is exhausting.

Kiwong

By trying too hard to make my SA less obvious, I think I draw attention to it.

-wear sunglasses so no one can see me eyes.
-try really hard to make eye contact, but fail miserably by looking away
-I chop conversations short when I'm starting to feel anxious.
-talk to people without looking at them.
- I plan strategies to make fearful situation less so, usually this results in avoiding the situation altogether.
-I try to stop my hands shaking
-I try to conceal that cold fear creeping up inside, when you realise the person you are talking to thinks you are weird.

If anything I DO want them to know, but that's just me. I've noticed their exceptions are lower when they know. :3

Though, letting them know (especially when they're strangers) is often a lost battle. And so in many cases I'm forced to hide it anyway, even though I prefer not to. To hide it I try project the emotional dept of a machine, after all, they can't judge what's not there.

Many just think that I am a very lazy person that doesn't care about anything, whilst in reality I'm a very energetic and passionate person. :]

lyricalliaisons

I don't do anything. If people were aware of my SA, I'd think that was great because then maybe they'd leave me alone more lol. As of now, they just think I'm awkward & strange. Even mean or rude because of it, but I'm not good at pretending & I would attract too much attention to myself anyway, so I don't bother with pretending to smile or anything else.

Richey

i laughed when you said "that's true" because i always say this when i have nothing else to say, if someone is explaining their idea of an opinion i'll say "that's true". especially if i have nothing to add that is of any worth anyway.

but yeh smiling can help and straightening posture too.

coyote

My question is: What do you do to make your SA look less obvious to other people? *I'm curious* Often times, I'm faced with uncomfortable situations & I don't want people to have false impressions of me. This is what I usually do:

-Smile excessively
-Nod as much as I can
-Giggle a lot
-Straighten my body posture
-Eye contact & show I'm
really paying attention
-Often say short words like
"yeah" or "I agree" or "that's true".

I pray that I'll miraculously form a friendship this way.
By doing small things like this, I feel like I'm a little more
comfortable around crowds because at least I'm not doing
nothing... but I don't know if what I'm doing is fake?

I do these things too!

and sometimes I wear an eye patch.