Lunchtime

P+G

I'll be starting college again very soon. I'm a little excited but also dreading it at the same time. I haven't made any friends at all. There are just a few people who know my name who I may say 'hello' to occasionally. I'm a loner and absolutley hate break, lunchtimes and free periods when I have to stay at college. There's no where for me to go. Fortunately this only happens maybe once or twice a week. I nearly always stay in the library which is very dull and you can't eat in there too. Sometimes I don't eat for the entire day at college which I know is very bad. It leaves me with headaches. I also hide in the toilets and have eaten in there too. It's ridiculous! It shouldn't be like this. I wish I had someone to be with. I keep thinking to myself that it's only one more year but then what will I be like at university? I don't want this to happen again. I remember a time when I laughed and ate with friends at high school. Everything seems to have changed so much in such a short time. Another problem is that I think I give the impression that I'm arrogant, rude and hard to approach. It's terrible.

I wondered how everyone else coped?

dooby-duck

That's pretty much how it happened for me. Except I rarely visited the library and never ate in the toilets. I stayed on in the sixth form at my school so that wasn't that bad as there were plenty of people I knew and were friendly with. University wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and in the second year I made some good friends who I could hang out with in and out of uni.
I have problems eating in places too, and often went a long time without eating. For me food increases my anxiety.
I can never initiate conversations with people but will join in given the opportunity. For me university was a lot more laid back than sixth form. The friends I made were all in most of my classes.

Darker Than Black

when I was in summer school, during each break, I would go to the wash room and stay there, cuz I didn't know anybody and was hard for me to make convo on a 1:1 base. Now I'm in 2nd yr university. 1st yr sucked, I stayed in my dorm 24/7, except when I had to go to class or my labs. Other times I stayed in the library reading books 8-|. Now its 2nd yr, and well, I wouldn't say its totally the same. I took a SA group therapy and things got better a LITTLE, last yr.

lets set f(x)=1/x as a function to describe how much i got better, now take the limit as x approaches infinity, where L = 0, but never touch 0, that's how much my life have gotten better, :(.

Now I go for jogs everyday, and try to make convo w/ ppl, and self talk that not everyone is comfortable talking w/ strangers, and bunch of other things I learned to calm myself down. I keep myself busy by signing up for volunteer opportunities, and DEFINITELY going to them, doing my homework,go workout. Ya...thats how I deal w/ my problems.

GL

lyricalliaisons

Last January was my first semester at college. I was on campus for nine hours a day & had to eat in the bathroom because I was way too scared to eat anywhere else. Everyone I've told laughs at that lol, I know what they mean, but I had no other choice. I totally know what it's like. Luckily, I'm only there for two of my classes this semester, so I don't have to eat there & worry about that anymore.

Darker Than Black

Last January was my first semester at college. I was on campus for nine hours a day & had to eat in the bathroom because I was way too scared to eat anywhere else. Everyone I've told laughs at that lol, I know what they mean, but I had no other choice. I totally know what it's like. Luckily, I'm only there for two of my classes this semester, so I don't have to eat there & worry about that anymore.

that used to be like me, but now I force myself to eat in a mall or something where there is people, its good for me u know? I found deep breathing really helped..ya..I force myself to do a lot of thing that I wouldn't usually do, and sometime I get back to my dorm, and I found myself all dizzy and stuff, cuz I was too nervous :(, damn me lol..ya no engineer would be successful by working alone, engineers work in groups

Last edited:

Acme

I'll be starting college again very soon. I'm a little excited but also dreading it at the same time. I haven't made any friends at all. There are just a few people who know my name who I may say 'hello' to occasionally. I'm a loner and absolutley hate break, lunchtimes and free periods when I have to stay at college. There's no where for me to go. Fortunately this only happens maybe once or twice a week. I nearly always stay in the library which is very dull and you can't eat in there too. Sometimes I don't eat for the entire day at college which I know is very bad. It leaves me with headaches. I also hide in the toilets and have eaten in there too. It's ridiculous! It shouldn't be like this. I wish I had someone to be with. I keep thinking to myself that it's only one more year but then what will I be like at university? I don't want this to happen again. I remember a time when I laughed and ate with friends at high school. Everything seems to have changed so much in such a short time. Another problem is that I think I give the impression that I'm arrogant, rude and hard to approach. It's terrible.

I wondered how everyone else coped?

If you have a car, just chill in your car whenever you have a break or free time. At college I used to do this a lot when I had a little time between classes - would just chill in my car and listen to music and eat something that I picked up on the way, etc. Just be sure to park under a tree if hot out.

P+G

If you have a car, just chill in your car whenever you have a break or free time. At college I used to do this a lot when I had a little time between classes - would just chill in my car and listen to music and eat something that I picked up on the way, etc. Just be sure to park under a tree if hot out.

I'm actually learning to drive at the moment. :) But anyway, I think if I did that then I'd be pushing myself away even more. I think I need to be persistent and force myself to not get so easily scared. I really think that if I tried harder this year, college may be better. I bet there are people at college who have the same problem, I just wish we knew each other so that we could battle it together.