LOVE? (long read)

ces4r87

Someone tell me, is this love or something far more unhealthy?
About 2 years ago, I met this girl in class and I think I've written about her on this forum before. Anywayz, I met her the first day of junior year in colllege. The professor paired us up to interview each other and then introduce each other to the class. Like usual, I merely contributed to the conversation. She asked most question and I very briefly answered. After that, we sat next to each other for the entire semester. she would talk to me every now and then. I would just smile and say a few things back as well. Sometimes I would get tongue tied or stutter, but she just smiled and she would never give me the "What's wrong with this guy" look that I got from most people, even from people that were usually friendly with me. She never asked, "why are you so quiet?" which I've heard millions of times. She was just a beautuiful person, but I knew I had no shot with her. She already had a boyfriend whom I had no shot of competing against. At the end of the semester, she told me, " We're having another class together next semester!" and we did. The first day, when I walked into the class, she told me to sit next to her. The semster went by just like the previous, except I had more stuff say this time. not much but it was an improvement from last time. Twice she even laughed at the little corny jokes I said. SOmetimes the professor broke the class up into groups and she always made sure I was in hers. Around the end of the semster, she broke up with her boyfriend and seemed pretty sad most of the time. That's when I came into this forum and asked you guys what should I do in this situation since I really really liked her. I got some great advice, but my cowardly self didn't do any of it. the semester finished and our little frienship or whatever you could call that remained in school. Time came to choose classes for the next semester and I doubted I would ever see her again. I knew she was an english major so I chose 2 english classes as electives just in case. and I was lucky.about 2 weeks later, I got an email from her saying, "we have to get through another class together!" and we did get through another class together. Only this time, she got to see a lot more of my flaws. the class involved a lot of group discussions, and I would always go blank in front of the entire class. It was some of my most embarassing moments. She still always smiled at me. She always gave me the most real smiles I ever recieved from anyone. It's like she really meant it. She had another boyfriend now though and I wasn't able to improve our friendship from smiles, HI, and a little school talk. By the end of this semester, I had given up. It really hurt knowing that someone like her was out there but I couldn't have her. When I registered for the next semester, I only had to take math and computer classes and a 1 music elective. So I was sure I wasnt gonna see her again. but, she ended up in one of my classes again. WHat are the odds? 4 semesters in a row, and only once where I actually tried to end up in one of her classes. I find out she's single again, but I really didn't do much about it. She was having a lot of trouble witht the class and she had missed a few very important classes. I helped her as much as I could. This is where we had our longest conversations, still just about school work. She didnt know much about me, but she called me genious, even though my gpa was just a 3.0. well, after spring break, she dropped the class. I saw her only once more after that. That was back in march and I havent seen her since. Next semester I only have to take 2 classes and then ill graduate. I don't think i'll ever see her again, or maybe just briefly. She has a boyfriend again. This is where the worst is, no matter how hard I try I can't stop thinking about her. It's gotten to the point where it actually hurts. Every secnd, something remnds me of her. I have her as a friend on facebook, but I barely use that. No one writes on my wall and neither do I. So that's what I want to ask. Do you think this is love or just an obsession. Maybe I feel like this because she's the only beatiful person that's actually treated me so nicely. What do you think? What should I do? How dO I forget?

Rheves

Im sorry to hear about your pain man. I've had similar situations, but never for such a long period. You just have to start looking at other chicks. I know what its like, you cant stop thinking about her, cant stop looking her way. You just have to realize there are a lot of other fish out there.

madmike

I think whether or not it's love, you really missed out on an opportunity there because it sounds like she really put herself out there to tell you that she likes you. You have to either convince yourself that she really was too good for you and that it would never have worked out, or tell yourself that it still can work out and get in touch with her, try to chat to her on facebook or whatever and make it work. If you just sit on the fence you'll never forget and the pain will become unbearable! i feel for you though, i'd be exactly the same in this situation :/ Girls don't make those kinds of moves though, you have to !

DaaaBulls

I think at the very least you should send her a message on facebook, you don't have to write on her wall but just send her a message. Tell her that you want to see if she wants to meet up some time before the school year ends.

To answer your question though, I think it is an obsession. I'm not sure if you have OCD or not but I know that I do and I sometimes do the same things as you. I will meet a girl and just pretty much think about her all of the time and wonder "what if" and then eventually it cools down and I move on to the next girl. I think love is something that is built up over a period of time, not just breif encounters.

If you do decide not to do anything then it's really no big deal. I'm sure you will still think about her for a while but it will cool off. Remember, you hardly ever remember the times you get rejected by a girl, but you always remember the times that you never tried.

Rodox

Oh you wont forget,specially if you let her scape,time can help,people always say that you need to find someone new,dont think so,it just isnt the same,sorry to be negative,but that was how it was to me,its just a no way route for some people,you like her so much but its just looks like its to good to be true.

I say ask her out or something. She definitely sees something in you and enjoyed your company a few times. Whats the worse that could happen? Get over being scared and jsut do it, you are torturing yourself by jsut wondering about it. You also need to start believing in yourself more, you dont have to have everything to make a girl happy. Maybe thats the reaosn why she broke up with those other BFs, they couldnt give her what she needed. Girls like guys who are caring and sensitive too. Try it out man, Its either you go out with her or just remain friends. Its a win/win situation, you got nothing to lose.

-hermit-

It's just infatuation. You barely know her after 4 years? It seems more like lust as by the sounds of it she is the only girl to have ever smiled at you.

jamez

Man, this shit sucks.

My advice is just try to be productive, improve yourself. Next time, something like this comes up, you will be ready for it.

lassokid

I don't have any suggestions; but for us who fear rejection, isn't unconditional love what we desire? From the sounds of it, that is what she had shown you, smiling at you when you thought she would do otherwise. Hey, at least you met a nice person in your life. That is something to cherish. :)