Living in a shell

dannyboy65

Today I was out with my mom and she pointed out that outside of school I have no life. I have the one best friend who I don't even hangout with much anymore. I'm single (which I don't think matters as much as she thinks it does). I have some friends at school but I never go out with them or anything.

I'd love to have a social life but I find it's so hard to connect with people. Literally all I do all day and night is play video games or watch tv series. I want to do more but I just don't feel like I fit in anywhere. The only place I felt like I really fitted in was Hal con (Atlantic Canada's Comic Con).

Does anyone else feel this way?

Megaten

Kinda. Im into geeky things like comics too so there's not many people I know in person that would want to talk about that stuff any further than what they saw in a movie. I have a few friends I grew up with but we all kind of grew apart. Or at least they did. My best friend (which Ive spent the past year trying to get to hang out with me) seems to spend all his time working then sleeping. If he's not doing that he's playing a game by himself. So Ive pretty much not had a single person to hang out with for a looooong time.

Whoopdeedoo

Yes
So i witness things and feel like im on the outside looking in
Or part taking in some sociological study
You ll find friends when you notice that someone else is noticing what you do lol
Hang on peace exists

MotherWolff

Banned
Today I was out with my mom and she pointed out that outside of school I have no life. I have the one best friend who I don't even hangout with much anymore. I'm single (which I don't think matters as much as she thinks it does). I have some friends at school but I never go out with them or anything.

I'd love to have a social life but I find it's so hard to connect with people. Literally all I do all day and night is play video games or watch tv series. I want to do more but I just don't feel like I fit in anywhere. The only place I felt like I really fitted in was Hal con (Atlantic Canada's Comic Con).

Does your family ever encourage or praise you? Excuse the expression, but your mom's words are full of shit.

You came out of her. If she talks about you like that, she obviously feels the same way about herself too!

What do YOU think about YOUR life?

Turn that tv off. Nothing but pure mind control. And so are those video games.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!

Kinda... I definitely feel I can't connect with people.

I had a few friends in high school but since I left we've kinda went or separate and not spoken for 10 years.

I used to be like you, playin' video games and watch TV shows days and night. But not as much I used to - unless I binge watch a DVD boxset of my fav show - or stay up to watch on BBC Three or BBC Four (American Dad / Family Guy reruns or a documentary). Other than I don't really keep up with TV shows or watch much telly. So have seen of the TV shows that everyone is raving on about. And I've never been a fan of "reality TV".

Anyway, I'm ramblin' on. I've started reading again, which, I guess... is good? I don't know, I supposed I've missed that solitary feelin' on being engrossed in a good book.

But I guess I don't really feel like I fit in either. :sad:

Deco

I insist you guys fight these fears now, head-on. Seek all the help you need. And keep trying no matter how hard it seems. You're still young. I know its not easy, but I had many friends who were even more introvert than I was, and now they're married and have kids. Because they focused on their passions and talents and didn't isolate themselves because of peoples expectations.
I was bullied in school many times, but I got over it when I stoped taking people too seriously, started being more sarcastic and spent more of my free time in sports and drawing. And sometimes it is better to have a few true friends than many superficial people around us. This is how we build self esteem, then the social circle could only grow.
I wish I could go back in time and give this advice to myself.
You said in another thread you already doing stuff that makes you happy during free time. One big step forward. Focus on it. Maybe working with animals and comics is your true passion. What about drawing or writing fan-fiction?

Sometimes mothers can be rude, but I'm sure she only wants the best for you. God knows how many times my mother said some harsh truths to me. That's life.
Sorry for writing like this, but it really saddens me to see so many young people with these same issues. Don't let it take over you. It is one of the most precious times of our lives.

Last edited:

simona

I also feel I cannot fit in any social environment.