Keeping a job?

castaway

I've always had trouble hanging onto jobs, as the enforced social interaction every day always proves too much in the end. I wondered how other SA sufferers deal with having a job or not having a job?

People have been said hurtful things to me because I don't/can't work and it makes me feel even worse for not having a job. I would like to feel like I am contributing to society but I don't even want to leave the house most of the time and I don't know how to explain that to people without it sounding like an excuse :(

bcsr

There are plenty of job opportunities that don't require much social interaction, I'd suggest trying one of those, even if it's not something you particularly want to do.

My first "real" employment was an overnight job unloading trucks and stocking shelves. I've also worked as a groundskeeper, and at a livestock auction. There wasn't much social interaction with any of them. :)

dottie

Keep trying... not all jobs and job cultures are the same. For example, a fast food job is going to have a different vibe than an office job (the obvious part)... but, the personalities within that arena will be a big factor, too. The thing is to keep trying. It is rough but you will eventually find something tolerable and hopefully even rewarding!

Flanscho

I'm currently having my third job. Not sure if they'll take me, I'm still in the 6month trial period.

Good about having a job:
- money
- I learn stuff
- I meet new people

Bad about having a job:
- stress
- less time for myself

*shrugs*

It depends. While I have no job, I'm more relaxed, but also worry constantly about the future. I think that people that have no job should spend their time in other useful ways. Like, trying to create art of any sort, or whatever. At least, that's what I think when I'm unemployed. Otherwise I feel useless. But as long as I do something useful, I'm fine. If I'd spend all day watching TV, I'd have the feeling that my life would be wasted. But if I spend time trying to create stuff, learn things and so on, then things are better.

GhoulsNightOut

I don't have a lot of experience on this but I think what would help is to mentally prepare yourself for those forced social interactions. Remind yourself to adapt and go with the flow. It's a game. Fake it if you have to (smile, "Hello, how are you?" Ugh I HATE that.) It sucks way more to waste away chunks of this short life you've got all because of no money. Yeah, you die a little inside each day from those forced social interactions but that's the game and there's no way around it. The good news is it's only temporary until you find the career you're passionate about and you get to work alongside people who are genuine and care about the same things you do.

castaway

Thanks for the replies. I've been applying for jobs but can't sleep for worrying about how I'll cope if I actually get one...

planetweirdo

People have been said hurtful things to me because I don't/can't work and it makes me feel even worse for not having a job. I would like to feel like I am contributing to society but I don't even want to leave the house most of the time and I don't know how to explain that to people without it sounding like an excuse :(

I can relate to that. I have never had a job because of my fear of going out in public and interacting with people. I have never experienced anyone saying hurtful things to me about it. but I still feel like a big loser for not contributing to society. :sad: