Jury Duty

zharl

I'm nineteen and I'm just about finished with my first year at college, and I've been summoned for Jury Duty. I'm absolutely terrified. I was finally getting settled with myself, settled with my anxiety, but now I've exploded like a powder keg. I'm a sheltered, suburban neophyte...I have no place on a jury! I mean, I've always been at a maturity level that is about 2 years younger, so I'm practically 17. To make matters worse, this is a FEDERAL case, not a state, but federal! I don't even drive yet, and from where I live, it's about 33 minutes from the courthouse, and that's without accounting for traffic, which may add about an hour. My mom would have to drive me, and she has her own schedule to adhere to as well...and to think a couple hours ago, my biggest worry was what I was gonna' do for summer...HELP, PLEASE! In any way...please...:eek:

DaaaBulls

I had Jury duty about 2 weeks ago but got dismissed because of a misdemeanor on my record. It is a little nerve racking because there are a ton of people there and I can imagine that going in front of the lawyers to answer questions could be nerve racking as well.

BUT...

You might not even be called to a case. And it is an oppurtunity for you to have something to talk about after and some more life experience.

Ashiene

why do you have to go Jury Duty? is it compulsory in your country for everyone? what is the purpose?

Tiercel

why do you have to go Jury Duty? is it compulsory in your country for everyone? what is the purpose?

In this country we have that silly trial by a jury of one's "peers." They create a pool of potential jurors by randomly selecting people. I think they use voter registration records for this, but I'm not sure. So every year there is a very small chance you'll be picked. And I'm not sure if there is a "safe" period after you get picked or not. But I've never heard of anyone getting picked twice in one year.

But don't worry too much, zharl. I got that same notice about 5 or 6 years ago. You basically sit around in a room all day and wait to see what trials need jurors. When they need them they'll pick about 30 people and send them to whatever courtroom. There the legal counsel for both sides pick one person at a time and ask a few questions. If both sides agree, you'll get on the jury. If not, back to the pool you go. But things seem to move very slowly, so you'll actually be glad to be told to get up and go to another room.

Of course I was in the county courthouse, not the federal one. All I know about the way the feds do things I heard from my mom. Last fall she wasn't selected to be on the jury that recently convicted those guys of planning to attack Fort Dix. But that was a high profile case, and she had to fill out several long questionnaires. One was over 50 pages!

But if you end up talking to the judge and lawyers, just tell them the truth. If there's anything that might possibly keep you from being 100% impartial, they'll move on to the next candidate.

And look on the bright side. Several weeks after your (hopefully only one) day in court, you'll get your check for a whopping FIVE AMERICAN DOLLARS! That might even be enough for 2 whole gallons of regular gasoline when you do start driving!