Job seeking tips for people w/ SA

hexagon_sun

I was wondering if the wisest and more experienced among us could offer their experience in the job market; good job types for people with SA (limited people contact) and any advice you think is helpful? I'm tired of being the square peg fitting all the round holes out there. I want to be a productive member of society but don't want to put myself in a situation where I'm guaranteed to fail.

Metal_isthe_Answer

the square peg fitting all the round holes
This reminds me of how I think of some of my co workers, theyre so dumb and inept at doing minor things that I imagine theyd be the kids trying to put a square peg in a round hole.
Anyway, I did a search for jobs for introverts, that may give some direction. One that stood out to me was accounting, essentially you might be locked in an office just typing numbers all day, sounds like bliss to me.

mikebird

Banned
I deeply wish my intended world of 'werq', gathering an income, was all about being unique, doing something that others cannot do. I was never ready for 'fitting in with a clique'. I brushed away all this at school. A strange unearthing of my ancient motto of mine would be an anti-love-based principle of being gay - :giggle: happy, reliant on friends & family - huggz & kisses, bending to anyone's request. My way is entirely about choosing your own way. Nothing gets in my way. Seems not to work properly. Inner imaginary fist available at my will.

After all these years, I am so weak, without the strength / stamina I assumed.

The way I get enraged at meetings around a table where my employment is under question. Should have got the shoe polish kit ready to brush everyone's feet.

coyote

i worked for many years in emergency communications - answering 911 calls and dispatching police, fire, and emergency medical services - in a large city

it was great, because you dealt with everything from a distance - over the phone or radio - rather than face to face. and it was so fast-paced, that i had no time to sit and worry about myself or how others judged me - i was too busy trying to save their lives

it was very rewarding, but it did take a heavy emotional toll after years of dealing with the worst things imaginable eight hours a day every day - you end up developing a hard shell and sick sense of humor

the pay and benefits are excellent in large city departments - not so good working for a small rural agency. most agencies do not require any experience or education beyond a high school diploma, but the training is very intense.

cosmosis

One that stood out to me was accounting, essentially you might be locked in an office just typing numbers all day, sounds like bliss to me.

I initially had that same thought about accounting. The media usually always portrays accountants as introverts. But I believe its a major misconception. Having graduated with an accounting degree, all of my fellow student were very much extroverted that I felt way out of place. And talking with other people in field, it seems like that is the norm. The field of accounting is no longer about being locked up in some office crunching numbers. In order to succeed, to actually get a job, you typically have to have to be available to your clients which means alot of communication. So I suggest to just be careful and do some research and maybe not waste years of your life like I did :) I personally think engineering and similar fields is much better suited to those who have social anxiety and the industry is much more forgiving of those type of traits.

hexagon_sun

I have a technical brain, gravitating toward engineering type jobs (science and technology) but my ability to do math (in my head) is severely damaged which has resulted in less than adequate academic performance for such professions. I love the human race, but HATE jobs dealing with people... I can't stand what I perceive as unnecessary formalities in business interaction, politics or gossip. I don't care to worship people or material things... I worship the ideas behind them.

bcsr

There's a lot of jobs that don't require a lot of social interaction.
IT field, mechanics, lab technician, medical transcription, electrician, data entry, warehouse workers, stocking, heating / ac technicians, etc...

I personally wouldn't limit myself in this regard, if there's something you really want to do, go for it. The field I went into is highly social, but it's what I've always wanted to do, and I'm loving it.

hexagon_sun

I initially had that same thought about accounting. The media usually always portrays accountants as introverts. But I believe its a major misconception. Having graduated with an accounting degree, all of my fellow student were very much extroverted that I felt way out of place. And talking with other people in field, it seems like that is the norm. The field of accounting is no longer about being locked up in some office crunching numbers. In order to succeed, to actually get a job, you typically have to have to be available to your clients which means alot of communication. So I suggest to just be careful and do some research and maybe not waste years of your life like I did :) I personally think engineering and similar fields is much better suited to those who have social anxiety and the industry is much more forgiving of those type of traits.
My dad was an accountant in the 80's back when they used to bury themselves in the books (no quickbooks). I suppose it should be no surprise I am the way I am! I've done a little accounting myself. It's not fun, but it seems less futile than sales.

awkwardamanda

I'm in job search hell right now. I'm looking for some sort of an office job. I finished university with a major in applied math. I'm lost. I'm trying to find something entry level and it's next to impossible. I've been looking mostly at administrative jobs, but even most of those require a year or two of experience. Being such an introvert really limits my options too. I'd be happiest just sitting alone all day, crunching numbers, but I really don't know what I'm gonna find. I don't mind having to work closely with a few other people. But I don't want a job where I'm going to have to work in large groups or do a lot of presentations. And I'm hoping to avoid jobs that involve a lot of being on the telephone. But sometimes it's hard to know from the job description. I applied for a data entry job at a large insurance company. The description specifically said it is mostly individual work, which I found very appealing. I also thought there would be a lot of opportunities to move up there, especially having a math background. I certainly do not want to be job searching very often in life. But I never heard back from them. I just came across an ad for a service rep at another insurance company. I'm debating whether I want to apply for that. It's a smaller local office, so there might still be future opportunities, but maybe not as many. I'm just not sure if I really want a customer service type job. I've worked retail long enough, so I have that experience, but I'm also tired of dealing with people. I just don't know how much it involves being on the phone with clients. I dunno. I have a few days to think about it. I don't really want a job that involves selling anything. I'm too shy for that. And so many job ads want someone who is outgoing, or customer-oriented, and thrives in a fast-paced environment. I feel so inadequate. Quiet people are at a severe disadvantage. I'd also like to only apply for jobs I kind of want, not just anything. I don't want to get stuck doing something I really don't like. It's so frustrating.

I personally think engineering and similar fields is much better suited to those who have social anxiety and the industry is much more forgiving of those type of traits.
Engineering involves a lot of team work, both in school and in your career. That's one of the reasons I dropped out.

awkwardamanda

Ok, never mind. The job is apparently no longer available. It was only posted five days ago. Oh well, that makes that decision for me.

hexagon_sun

I'm in job search hell right now. I'm looking for some sort of an office job. I finished university with a major in applied math. I'm lost. I'm trying to find something entry level and it's next to impossible. I've been looking mostly at administrative jobs, but even most of those require a year or two of experience. Being such an introvert really limits my options too. I'd be happiest just sitting alone all day, crunching numbers, but I really don't know what I'm gonna find. I don't mind having to work closely with a few other people. But I don't want a job where I'm going to have to work in large groups or do a lot of presentations. And I'm hoping to avoid jobs that involve a lot of being on the telephone. But sometimes it's hard to know from the job description. I applied for a data entry job at a large insurance company. The description specifically said it is mostly individual work, which I found very appealing. I also thought there would be a lot of opportunities to move up there, especially having a math background. I certainly do not want to be job searching very often in life. But I never heard back from them. I just came across an ad for a service rep at another insurance company. I'm debating whether I want to apply for that. It's a smaller local office, so there might still be future opportunities, but maybe not as many. I'm just not sure if I really want a customer service type job. I've worked retail long enough, so I have that experience, but I'm also tired of dealing with people. I just don't know how much it involves being on the phone with clients. I dunno. I have a few days to think about it. I don't really want a job that involves selling anything. I'm too shy for that. And so many job ads want someone who is outgoing, or customer-oriented, and thrives in a fast-paced environment. I feel so inadequate. Quiet people are at a severe disadvantage. I'd also like to only apply for jobs I kind of want, not just anything. I don't want to get stuck doing something I really don't like. It's so frustrating.

Engineering involves a lot of team work, both in school and in your career. That's one of the reasons I dropped out.

You should look into freelance book keeping, data entry, writing gigs. These are often telecommute type jobs (contract) which requires virtual no human contact. I'm a college drop-out so I haven't had much success in that area but maybe you'd have a better chance since your a college graduate. There are people making decent livings this way. Check-out freelance .com

OceanMist

I think something that has to be accepted is that every job requires quite a bit of communication if you have SA because to me, a lot of communication is what an outgoing person would consider not much communication.

It depends on where you live, but if you live in the USA then most spots are hard pressed to find work at all. Most of the jobs that don't require much communication are hot jobs that most people want.

I already know that I'm probably screwed because I'm going to need to look for a 2nd job soon and I know I'm going to have to work some fast food job if I'm lucky. I've tried applying to Wal Mart, target, dominos, a sub shop for stocker or delivery driver spots and it's nearly impossible to get those jobs because older people with good social skills and tons of work experience are coming down and taking these jobs due to the economy.

Most places aren't hiring, and the ones that are have stacks of applications for one opening.

Sure, I'd like to get a job with not much people interaction, but I've come to the conclusion that the odds are not good for that. If I want a job, it's going to have to be something I don't want to do. It's either that or unemployment.

awkwardamanda

You should look into freelance book keeping, data entry, writing gigs. These are often telecommute type jobs (contract) which requires virtual no human contact. I'm a college drop-out so I haven't had much success in that area but maybe you'd have a better chance since your a college graduate. There are people making decent livings this way. Check-out freelance .com

Thanks, but no thanks. I want job security. I don't want to be self-employed. The last thing I want to deal with is having to constantly find new contracts.

I think something that has to be accepted is that every job requires quite a bit of communication if you have SA because to me, a lot of communication is what an outgoing person would consider not much communication.

You make a good point. Yes, pretty well any job is going to require some amount of interaction with other people. I'm just trying to avoid the jobs that involve a lot of it. Some jobs really are best suited to someone who is outgoing and personable. (Say, public relations, sales, etc.) If you really aren't those things, you likely won't make it past the interview, or if you do get hired, you'll fail miserably.

SilentAndShy

As long as I can remember, I've always been in and out of jobs because I want to have a job but simultaneously, I want to have a job that I can do well and go home and not be stressed about it. I want to be a journalist but that might seem a weird job as I suffer from SA and journalists are always sometimes portrayed as extroverted, fearless people who do their jobs without any failure. But I feel my introverted nature helps because I ask more meaningful questions than mundane cookie cutter ones.

At moment, I write on my blog and looking for admin work but like someone above said, you need experience. I'd happily to a packing job in a factory, as long as money is OK. But the job market is pretty dire at the moment.

...lab technician...

Ah, this is something I was really interested in doing. After researching it a bit though, it seems that although there is little to no contact with patients/doctors in a hospital (besides orders from doctors over the phone), you are usually under a great deal of stress because there is no margin for error, and there are sometimes many samples coming in all at once, and supervisors breathing down your neck. If someone is neurotic enough to have SA then I would guess he/she would probably not do well under this kind of pressure either. It's too bad, seems like it could be a really interesting job.

Anyway. Me and my sidetracking.