Job interviews

Mike88

Hey everyone

I have managed to get myself a job interview for next Wednesday. As soon as I found out about the interview I started to shake a little, felt a little sick.

How do people manage with job interviews?

I don't take medication, I take Kalms tablets (probably a placebo effect) and I always arrive early so that I can calm down. My friends think I always make a big deal out of the little things; I am considering going to see the doctor before next Wednesday.

Rockabilly

Thinking too much about it will increase the anxiety. I have the same problem and to imagine the situation is the worst thing I can do. For me the point relies in "I have a Job interview tomorrow, so until half an hour before it I don't have anything. It doesn't exist until that moment" and start to worry about it when is the moment to do it. In my experience, thinking too much about things creates too much expectations and perfectionism can be a greater enemy in that cases.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
My trick works well for me but I don't know if it would work for others: If I go there thinking that I really need and want that job, I'm screwed. So I convince myself that I don't really care about the job. I make sure I have 4-5 other plans in mind in case I don't get it. I convinced myself that it is no big deal, it doesn't matter if they don't like me because I have other plans. This way, I am very relax and easy going, I answer very frankly and don't try to impress them, and I noticed they like it better. Then they hire me and realize I'm a socially awkward weirdo. :rolleyes:

You can also prepare in advance for some questions that you think they will ask - it helps a lot to be fluid.

Anyway good luck for your interview!

Feathers

I imagine how RELAXED I will be afterwards, and maybe make some nice plans like go to the library and read a nice magazine or book no matter what and no matter how it goes, just for reward for going there and being brave... :)

Also, it's an opportunity to network.. and maybe even if this job goes to someone else, maybe the same people could hire you for another position in a month or few... So keep your options open-minded...

Also, I tell myself 'if it's meant to be, I'll get it' or something like that (I could obsess about both problems of getting it or not getting it.. :) so I understand your worries..)
It helps to tell yourself (I read this on blog of someone who has worked for Google :) I think it's called Life after College) 'I'll worry about this problem if/when I'm lucky enough to have it' which I think is absolutely amazing way to tell yourself stuff! :)

YAY for managing to get interview!! It means you've got POTENTIAL!!

You could research the company online and see what they like and believe in and what they are after, to see if you're a good fit with them (they for you too!) and to impress them with what they want to hear (their website and vision statement or what services they offer or plans or interviews with CEOs can give hints)
Having something else in the works, like Pacific said, or at least a plan of looking for jobs and networking, can be really helpful too!

Hm, I wouldn't take new meds before an interview though, some people have side effects.. Can you just work on worries or 'worst case scenarios' via CBT - like presented in Feeling Good Handbook or online or such?

There are good websites and books with tips on how to do well interviews too!

So, hope it goes well!! And remember, if not this one, then something BETTER!!

Last edited:

Lonelykitsune

I'm flipping out over a goddamn mock interview so I'm no help but the advice above sounds pretty good.Well done on actually getting an interview,thats quite hard these days.Tell us how it goes,good luck!

Remember that you are also interviewing them as a potential employer; the interviewers can also get nervous as well

Phoenixx

I'm flipping out over a goddamn mock interview so I'm no help but the advice above sounds pretty good.Well done on actually getting an interview,thats quite hard these days.Tell us how it goes,good luck!
^ I just had mock interviews at school last Monday. I was a little nervous, until I walked in the room and saw all the people there that were interviewing. My stomach just dropped and I immediately started trembling a bit.

Thankfully, I didn't get to be interviewed by anyone in that room. There was another woman in the back office that was doing interviews, and I was scheduled with her. Pacific's advice works pretty well, as that's similar to what I did to calm myself down. Plus it was "mock" interviews, so it was easier to not give a crap.