Is it paranoia?

IamThisOne

Everytime I see someone or walk by someone I think they are talking about me or laughing at me. It is hard for me to walk into a crowded room. Sometimes I will see someone driving down the road talking on a phone and I think they are talking about me.

Of course I know this is not true but I get those thoughts.

I will hear someone laughing with their friends across a parking lot or something and I automatically think that they are laughing at me.

It would be cool if someone responded.

dottie

i'm the same way. it is totally irrational. do you talk yourself out of it when it is happening? i have to remind myself that they are probably more concerned with themselves than they are concerned about me. and even if they are talking about me: so what? how will that change anything at the end of the day? still, as irrational as it is, the paranoia occurs as an involuntary response. but talking myself down is the only way i can cope otherwise i'd never leave the house. i wish it was more controllable.

Kristof

I have the same thing. My cheeks are quite rosy at all times and since i have a problem with shyness/blushing i always assume people are talking about me, laughing at me etc.
I know it's irrational but i have been picked on about it for years so it's hard to let those thoughts go.

yes, I do this to. Sometimes it is really bad, I want to get screened for schizophrenia but they don't have those services in the town I live in.

Kiwong

I feel like that too. The trouble is people have talked about me, and it had affected my health.

WeirdyMcGee

I think the exact same way.
I'm agoraphobic - working with my therapist; doing cognitive behavioral therapy to help train my mind not to automatically suspect people of being negative towards me.

It's a good sign that you know it's probably not true.
The trick, I guess, is to train yourself to think otherwise.
It's pretty hard though.

DespairSoul

Yes dont worry u arent alone i have the same thoughts if i see group of people standing and laughing already i think everything negative is about me and they turn and pay to me attention. Sometimes is true propably but not anytime what i think it is. Because im very nervouss and people notice that actually that can make them feel stronger and they can start stare or laugh. Thats why the best way is just have head straight up and ignore them. And definetly not search escapism as i do and try walk on places where is less and less people wich cant smile to me or see me as i use to do. Overanalyze every step outside that i meet the less people creatures what i can. Those negative thoughts what are whispering in your head that is towards you are irrational try focus think opposite that they dont smile to you but something else, anytime what u start have those thoughts. Even if they would they are just humans what are stupid acting in the moment and u cant change it only with ignoring and they will stop.