Is it okay to have friends 3 years younger than me?

Auburn

I'm 16, 17 in May, and I don't really have a lot of friends. But some of the ones that I do are 2-3 years younger than me. One is 13 and two are 14 years old.
Oh I should also mention they are only internet friends.
The 13yr old is very mature for her age and one of the 14yr olds can be rather immature, but I believe she's doing it for attention sometimes. And I've once spoken to someone who is the same age and she acted like I'd imagine a 11 year old to (Whom I'm no longer in contact with). Not that I'm judging! I just found it hard to talk to her.

Most of my life I've always gotten along with people at least 2 years younger than me better than people my age. I'd just always choose to hang around people younger than me. I used to also have friends older than me by 4 years, but I mostly just hung around rather than having conversation or same interests with them.
I was thinking maybe it's because I have a sister who is 2 and a half years younger (Who I'm really close with and she's practically my only best friend) and a brother you is 4 years older.

I only question my friendship with the people being younger than me because my parents have never approved of me hanging around people younger than my age. It's rather hypocritical seeing as my mum is 42 and is friends with a 26 year old.
I also find it hard to have more mature conversations with them, but being the immature that I am I honestly don't mind all that much aha.
I have friends my age, whom I know in person, but after moving house I can't exactly hang out with them. And I'm still yet to make friends my age here. Even so, I know I can always pick up the phone or message them whenever, and we'd talk like we'd never even stopped talking. If that makes any sense.

My point is, is this bad?
I feel as if me talking to people younger than me is making it harder for me to connect with people my age. I've always been a late bloomer so find it hard to relate anyhow. I mean it's hard enough with having SA anyway. Is there a chance it's related to SA (hanging around with people younger)?
I really don't know ahe.

At the end of the day I'm still going to talk to these amazing friends that I have made. I share a lot in common and I get to just be my random crazy self around them, rather than feeling I have to be mature and behave myself around people my age.
I just wanted to hear everyones opinions and view points ^-^.

Metal_isthe_Answer

Yeah, no big woop I would say. When I was 15 I had a friend who was 11, we just got along surprisingly well, and most of my friends who were my age were the same way.

dannyboy65

Nothing wrong with it at all, I have plenty of friends younger then me. But I'm an easy going guy and I have a lot of friends that range from 16 to 50+ and the friends I have I couldn't change. I love them all in their own way.

LazyHermitCrab

aw yeah that's okay :) I had a friend at your age who was only 11 haha. People would think I was his babysitter which I kinda was but we had fun playing videogames and eating pizza

Steiner

Not a problem at all. I had a lot of friends that were 2-3 years older than me and I enjoyed their company.

Well some of them I enjoyed their company. It's fine for sure on the internet even. I know in the past I had become friends with a 25 year old when I was 13. Heh. When he found out my age he practically stopped talking to me. Good times.

peakwary

There really is no such thing as age gap when it comes to friendship. You can be friends to who ever you want, no matter what their age is. As long as you get along with them and they are a good influence to you.

Requiescat

My cousin has friends who are in their late teens, very twenties and she is the most extrovert and talkative person I know (she turned thirty a few weeka ago, has a 19 year old boyfriend). If you get along with them then that's all that matters. The only time I have objected to younger friendships was when there was a 28 year old gentleman who was having sleepovers with early teens, ****! Granted there was nothing nefarious going on - he is very child like with an obsession in Pokemon and the like - but I still think was inappropriate. But that's just me... andba particular mother.