Insecure body language :/

Hi,

Because I love singing so much, I went to a talentshow yesterday. I was freakin' anxious, There were like a 200 of people , and I had to do a photoshoot on the stage. And they told me I don't have to be so insecure. :[ After that I went to the audition room and I sung my song, they told me i have a nice voice but I was too nervous.. ( God damn anxiety -_-) And after that a journalist came to me and I had to talk in front of the camera. And after that I talked in front of ALL the people in the public.. And he asked me why i was so nervous and I told my problem to everyone.. I didn't make it because I am too nervous.
And I really want to do something ABOUT IT!
I don't want to look insecure anymore because I want to make it!!
But my social phobia makes me feel so much anxiety that I don't know where to look and don't know how to move.. I felt like dying over there and a huge embarrasment.
I feel kind of pissed off that my anxiety standed in the way.. Cuz my voice wasn't the problem.
But I can't even go to school and see friends because of anxiety. So this was so freaking wow that i did this..

Do you guys have any tips how I can practice to get a better body language?
And to be confident?

Well xxx Saskia

DeathMetal

I admire your courage Flowergirlie. I would never do something like that.

I suppose if you just keep doing it, you should eventually get more comfortable with being in front of people.

I think there's generally two approaches that I've read. (1) Change your belief/confidence level then the body language will reflect this (2) Actually mimic and learn confident body language and over time, this will affect your beliefs/confidence levels.

bigrob

Reading people is one of my "gifts".

I can't say much because I didn't see your performance and haven't seen you act normal as a baseline, but.....

Insecure body language usually involves "covering up". You will roll the shoulders forward. You will place a hand (or both hands) close to the genitals. You may even have the legs so close together that you can't see daylight between them.

So to look more positive you need to do the opposite. Keep shoulders squared and back. Speak (or sing) with your hands, using gestures as emphasis. May walk the stage as opposed to standing in one spot...that shows energy and confidence. And smile.

One of the harder things would be if the nervousness effects your voice. There are many hormonal changes that take place during "fight or flight" that can't be controlled consciously. One of those changed is that blood is taken from the vocal cord area leaving the voice a higher pitch than normal. Of course in singing that effects you greatly. The only way around that is through practice and exposure....eventually you will get so used to it the body doesn't react.

I would like to add that I admire you doing karaoke in the first place. You may not have won the contest but you did win a battle within yourself. You have my respect.