Inconsistant emotions

philly2bits

Who else has this problem? I'll be in one situation and my emotions react a certain way. Like if I hear a sad story I'll get sad. Or I'll get mad, frustrated, or whatever else fits. But in other similar situations the emotions are different. I won't get mad or frustrated when before I would. I have to act my way through based on previous experience. I have to say or do things based on what I did before and not how I feel at the time or else I come off as some insincere hypocrite.

dottie

yes, i have inconsistent emotions and responses, too. this can be attributed to outside factors like my mood, the weather, who is around me. the fact that i am so malleable from outside factors in this way makes me not trust myself.

GoBlue72

Hmmm. Not sure I get what you describe exactly, but something always feels "off" with me. I've noticed in the past 5 years or more that I get tearful at odd times. It used to be just during really sad movies very infrequently. Lately, I'll watch an emotional commercial on television and get sad/tearful. Or even some movie soundtracks that are moving to me, get me tearful. And animal stories on the news, sad or happy, don't even get me started on that....

My overthinking self has concluded it's from all my emotions being welled up for so long by being alone. Hugging is pretty much the most contact I have with anyone from week to week.

I can relate to this, especially the ''when I hear a sad story I get sad''
i don't know where to look at, and i don't know how to act.. because It controls me
My emotions keep going, although another situation it can be so different.
But it all comes from ''anxiety'', because when I'm afraid my emotions are even stronger,
I'd rather not show it too much, just hide it, but that's so damn hard.

Yes, I can relate to this. I think it's because we (''we'' meaning people that have this same issue, not ''we'' as in social phobics) approach the story/situation differently each time, and so causing a different emotional outcome.

I noticed a lot of detail factors are involved in this. It's a bit like a rollercoaster sometimes.