Impossible to make friends on todays internet?

coyote

maybe it has something to do with your own expectations of what friendship entails

unfortunately, it seems that life has become very fast paced in the last few years

not everyone has the time to commit to being online at certain hours of the day or for specific lengths of time

even though they may find you interesting and enjoy communication with you, there may just be other things - namely real life - that take precedence

i'd be happy to be your online friend - you don't even have to send me a picture (unless you want to)

but my schedule is quite chaotic, so i may not be the most reliable person to communicate with

Tiercel

I'd say that anything is possible.

Have I made any friends on the internet? Sort of.

But I'd put any failures on my own difficulties with talking to people and keeping conversations going.

mikebird

Banned
Not impossible to make some

Only real ones with the simple, provided 'networking' things of school, uni.

I've shut my world down. Facebook only way to find out who's doing what.

The reason why I slowly, piece-by-piece, bit-by-bit, disengaged myself from everyone else, while not wanting to, was because they all did that to me.

It's all a mystique. A forever loop of who communicates with someone else. It's called effort. If we all keep it up, then all is good. If one person lets it slide, it goes downward for both

I think so.

Too many people. I was online back in the 90's.. it was totally different back then.. people felt more obliged to 'try' to work out a friendship cause back then, you couldn't just delete them and move on... If you deleted them back then, you found nobody else, and then sorta still had to deal with this person.

There's some 'good/bad' in that though...

Lord_Spotface

Omegles not good idea mate, you either run into someone who wants to show you their dick or someone who wants to show you a picture of someone elses dick.
Occasionally you get a spambot...who wants to show you pictures of dicks.

Sassielassie

Hi Lud, I've been online for only 2 months and I've made some genuine friends
that I talk to on a daily basis. Don't give up there's hope. Im new at this site, so bear wuth me. Tell me a little about yourself. I do have one question I'd like to ask you now. Do you like yourself? I don't mean to offend.

Sassielassie

E-mail address: [email protected]

jonas89

It's not Impossible but its really hard tho, I have only meet one that I would consider as a friend. we always talked almost daily but now it's a lot less due to the fact that she is really busy with school and work and Im busy with school, it annoys me a little bit because we talked almost everyday and now its like once a month, I start sometimes to think what if Im just forgotten now from the lack of conversation maybe it's just some paranoid in me as usual.

AGR

maybe this isnt the best place to ask this?
I dont have a close friend since I was around 14 or 15 almot ten years ago haha,in the net I run out of things to say and cant really conect with anyone.

totoro

It is hard to make friends wherever you go whether it be on the internet or out there in the real world.

bsammy

ehh i dont find it hard to make online friends i just dont really see the purpose of them other than PMing back and forth?i mean, its not even close to a real relationship...

wow that website is a joke, first try someone asked male or female, said male and conv partner is gone xD, second try conv partner says pl4nes and conv ended before I could write something. Third try a "female" asks how big it is.

AsTimeBurns

Yeah I've never successfully made any friends online and I've been using the internet and forums for.. 8 years or more?

Same as in life, no friends there either. Problem is, even if I start having conversations with people (on or offline), I run out of things to say, because frankly I'm a very dull and uninteresting person, so no-one really wants to put the effort in.

dancingintherain

I made three good friends I've been talking to for around three years already. They are good friends but one of them is thinking of meeting me from a far country. would be very awkward if I was to shy to converse with her

Iluv

Nothing is impossible! It's really not that hard you just got to be confident! Good luck!

Last edited:

Iluv

To be fair, if it was that easy I don't think many of us would be here.

SA doesn't make you immune to friends. IMO If you set yourself on the same level as anyone else we all might go through the same thing to find friends. Friends are easy to find these days, it's keeping them thats' hard.

MrJones

Confidence is a big factor in making friends.

I don't know if you can make friends on the internet, one day you think you have great friends and the next you don't see them again, or they were actually scammers, or whatever. I think that only way you can actually can someone a friend (and of course I can be wrong) is meeting in real life.

Talking with people online is nice, but if you want a real friendship you have to meet them in person (though I never tried).

irrational

Meeting people online isn't that much different from meeting people IRL. I wil agree that the internet today isn't what it used to be. I met my wife online 16 years ago when the internet was still new and exciting. We had party's for our IRC..... ok I'm drifting here.

But yea, unless you go to a website specifically to meet people (e-harmony et al) I don't think it it all that different from meeting people at church, club or a bar, or wherever it is people go to meet like minded people. Just have to be willing (and able) to open yourself up for friendship. And like the RL examples, some places will be easier to do this depending on your comfort level then others.

I ask this to the users of this forum because I've consistently failed at finding people to make friends with since about 2009, and the few times I have met people, they've turned out to be liars.

Just tonight I met someone on Omegle who I talked to for a straight 1-2 hours about a variety of topics, and they even sent me their picture. After all that time and pushing me to e-mail them, they disconnected immediately when I told them I sent them one. I haven't received a reply an hour later, and after reviewing the pictures, it turns out two of them were uploaded a week ago despite the person saying they just uploaded them. I may just be paranoid, but it seems very suspicious to me, especially because of previous bad experiences with that website.

But regardless of that one instance, it seems no one is interested in anyone these days. I could go to a forum, or a chat room and meet plenty of people 5 years ago, but now people seem content alone.

Does anyone have advice for how to meet trustworthy people online, or websites to go to, to find them? I'm at a complete loss, and really need a reliable friend as of lately.

Lexus199

Online friends are the exception to the rule I think. Regardless I used to talk to a good number of people but the thing is sooner or later you lose touch with each other. I honestly would recommend focusing on meeting people IRL. I know it's much easier than said. I have a lot of trouble with it myself.