Im Two Different people

Does anyone else get this when they are/were in school/ college when they're around certain people. cos i do and it makes me wonder who i am when im by myself.

Last edited:

Emily_G

Not anymore, now I'm pretty much the same person with everyone. I am a lot more outgoing and talkative with my hubby and more shy around people I don't know as well...but other than that I'm pretty much the same :)

In high school I lived a double life...it was horrible.

Lost Girl

I was definitely this way in high school. The confident always laughing person with some people, and shy and awkward and totally not-confident person around most others.
I remember thinking while I was reflecting about it a few years ago that perhaps I (for some odd reason) only offer certain parts of myself with certain people... I remember being a listener and advice giver to one friend, the loud-mouth party person to a couple of others, the unstable mess to another friend...but these roles never ever crossed over it seems, I was either entirely this or entirely that. Strange. When I reflected on it, I remember thinking "wtf...". I almost felt like had been a fraud without knowing it. Like all I did was play with different masks, and that there was no real identity behind the face, no real personality. I started to doubt every thought and opinion that popped into my head. I'd be like - 'is that my thought? Or am I just thinking what I think I'm supposed to think?' Or 'am I thinking what I think the person I am projecting should think?' Total mind****. (excuse my french) That lead to one of my biggest depressive episodes and went on for months.

I don't have that problem anymore, what I feel and think is the person I am, and I am comfortable with myself(which I think may have been the problem - just not knowing myself or being completely comfortable with myself yet). I am still quiet and a little reserved when around others, and I am not a fan of my SA - doesn't help, but I think just learning who you are and embracing that person with all your thoughts, feeling, likes, and dislikes is key.

PS. I highly recommend that you watch the movie 'I heart Huckabees' ;)

lunarla

I feel that I sort of match certain aspects of myself to how I think other people are. And then I usually leave out a lot of the other stuff besides that one side of me. I know that all these different things areeee parts of me at this point, but I withhold aspects from certain people. I think it's normal though? At least for me. It takes me a reaaaally long time to warm up to most people

Eam

I adapt myself to people way too much, often it can be with a lot of self deprecation. I often come away disliking the way I've 'acted' and just wish I could be myself.

Kinetik

I have several sides to me. One is anxious, one is depressed, one is angry, and one is semi-functional/normal. I seem to alternate between these four depending on the situation at hand, and there doesn't seem to be any real pattern to them, insofar as I could be any one randomly, and handle the same situation differently on different days. It makes me feel schizophrenic.

xxaimsxx

I get you :)
When im around people i change. I either go super quiet with some and then loud with some others.

When im by myself i just like to be comfortable.

dmcleod

I don't have that problem anymore, what I feel and think is the person I am, and I am comfortable with myself(which I think may have been the problem - just not knowing myself or being completely comfortable with myself yet). I am still quiet and a little reserved when around others, and I am not a fan of my SA - doesn't help, but I think just learning who you are and embracing that person with all your thoughts, feeling, likes, and dislikes is key.

I wonder what helped you do this, if anything, or was it all about controlling you mind? Did you read any books/websites?

I think I have 4, maybe 5 personalities that I have slowly learned to be okay with. It just seems that I cant be ok with having them all in the first place

EscapeArtist

I can't seperate myself from who I wish I was and who I am. Who I wish I was takes a different form very often so I'm equally as confused as you in the sense of not being one person... I am the opposite of my every trait, because I feel even what I'm good at, i'm only good at because I'm in denial of how bad I am at it.
Then part of me believes man was never meant to be given individual identities, that spare time (created in mass-amount by humankind) has created this false belief that we must all be different and we must all be able to summarize ourselves. No, I don't believe this... Perhaps we're all the same, meant to survive and nothing more. Too bad I can't believe this either

I was definitely this way in high school. The confident always laughing person with some people, and shy and awkward and totally not-confident person around most others.
I remember thinking while I was reflecting about it a few years ago that perhaps I (for some odd reason) only offer certain parts of myself with certain people... I remember being a listener and advice giver to one friend, the loud-mouth party person to a couple of others, the unstable mess to another friend...but these roles never ever crossed over it seems, I was either entirely this or entirely that. Strange. When I reflected on it, I remember thinking "wtf...". I almost felt like had been a fraud without knowing it. Like all I did was play with different masks, and that there was no real identity behind the face, no real personality. I started to doubt every thought and opinion that popped into my head. I'd be like - 'is that my thought? Or am I just thinking what I think I'm supposed to think?' Or 'am I thinking what I think the person I am projecting should think?' Total mind****. (excuse my french) That lead to one of my biggest depressive episodes and went on for months.

PS. I highly recommend that you watch the movie 'I heart Huckabees' ;)

I am do exactly that! i do only offer certain parts of myself with certain people. thanks for taking time to respond by the way :).
And I think your right about just being yourself, im gonna try this from now on.

OK ill try and get a hold of that movie!!

I have several sides to me. One is anxious, one is depressed, one is angry, and one is semi-functional/normal. I seem to alternate between these four depending on the situation at hand, and there doesn't seem to be any real pattern to them, insofar as I could be any one randomly, and handle the same situation differently on different days. It makes me feel schizophrenic.

lol same here. :)

NinjaLikesToast

I don't feel totally comfortable around anyone including my parents. At work it is always horribly awkward to be around more than 1-2 people and sometimes I will have to make up an excuse to get out of that situation..