I'm Starting to Really Hate Bars

Shy_Gurl2007

Every time my boyfriend and I go out to a bar, the bartender always gives us a weird look and asks for I.D in a rude way. I believe we look young because we are both pretty short lol. Well, last night we went out, and as soon as the bartender saw my boyfriend and I, she said in a bitchy way, "Look, if you are not 21, you need to get out of here!" She said it vry loudly, and everyone turned around and stared at us. My boyfriend just chuckled and threw his I.D up there. I was so embarrassed! After she saw both our I.D, she says again in a bitchy tone, "Wow, you two look like you need to be in bed for school tomorrow." Everyone laughs, and I want to die right there. The funny thing is my one friend that was with us didn't get carded at all. :/ I hate looking so young! Once we go away from the bartender, it was fine. It sucks when you first walk in, and ever stares at you funny. Does this happen to anyone else?

Last edited:

Rembrandt Broam

I wish! :D

Perhaps you should go into the bar with your ID already out and ready to present before the bartender has a chance to say anything.

DarkPhoenix

Wow thats really rude behavior from the bartender. I used to get annoyed when asked for ID, especially when they took 2nd or third looks at my photo. Nowadays i take it as a compliment, a sure sign i'm getting old haha :)

Shy_Gurl2007

I usually have my I.D out anyway because I know this is going to happen lol. My boyfriend told me not to worry about it, but I couldn't help it. The bartender didn't have to make a big deal about it! I've always been told that I looked 17 (I'm 21), and it annoys me beyond belief.

DarkPhoenix

I usually have my I.D out anyway because I know this is going to happen lol. My boyfriend told me not to worry about it, but I couldn't help it. The bartender didn't have to make a big deal about it! I've always been told that I looked 17 (I'm 21), and it annoys me beyond belief.

I suppose the positive spin on your situation is that when your 30 you'll look like your in your mid 20's. People spend thousands of dollars on cosmetic surgery to look younger than they are, you have it naturally :)

Shy_Gurl2007

I suppose the positive spin on your situation is that when your 30 you'll look like your in your mid 20's. People spend thousands of dollars on cosmetic surgery to look younger than they are, you have it naturally :)

Yeah, you're right. I should appreciate my youthful look. I hate drawing attention to myself, and looking young in a bar doesn't help! I just want to look my age, maybe I should consider a new look.

Sinar_Matahari

I've been carded a few times. Not at the bar, but at the door at the club. If I were you or your friend, I'd ask the bartender if there's a problem. That you paid to get in like everyone else, that you've been there before and that she's checked your ID the last time you were there. And last but not least, don't tip the bitch. She'll get the picture. You wanna make her feel stupid? Ask her how many times you have to patronize the bar and how many times she has to see your ID before it finally sinks in. I've done it before when this woman would always ask for ID every time I tried to buy cigarettes (although, I know for a fact that she sold ciagrettes to underaged high school kids). Needless to say, she never asked for my ID again.

One bouncer tried being rude with me when I tried getting into this club with my friends last year. I look young, but I know damn well I don't look younger than eighteen. The thing about bouncers around here is that they're not as tough as they try to appear. Still, I didn't appreciate this guy giving me an attitude like I was a trouble maker so I got defensive. I was just as rude to him as he had been with me. It's only fair, I think. I told him that I don't bring my ID because I don't need it to verify my age precisely because I'm not underaged. He changed his tune and let me in. Another incident, one bouncer was giving me a hard time... I told the bouncer my birthyear and I don't think he knew his math because he looked blank for a moment. He let me in quick rather than trying to figure out how old I was. lol

Honestly, you have to be rude with some people. I'm not saying make a scene, but it's only fair that they be treated the way they treat others.

Last edited:

Shy_Gurl2007

I've been carded a few times. Not at the bar, but at the door at the club. If I were you or your friend, I'd ask the bartender if there's a problem. That you paid to get in like everyone else, that you've been there before and that she's checked your ID the last time you were there. And last but not least, don't tip the bitch. She'll get the picture. You wanna make her feel stupid? Ask her how many times you have to patronize the bar and how many times she has to see your ID before it finally sinks in. I've done it before when this woman would always ask for ID every time I tried to buy cigarettes (although, I know for a fact that she sold ciagrettes to underaged high school kids). Needless to say, she never asked for my ID again.

One bouncer tried being rude with me when I tried getting into this club with my friends last year. I look young, but I know damn well I don't look younger than eighteen. The thing about bouncers around here is that they're not as tough as they try to appear. Still, I didn't appreciate this guy giving me an attitude like I was a trouble maker so I got defensive. I was just as rude to him as he had been with me. It's only fair, I think. I told him that I don't bring my ID because I don't need it to verify my age precisely because I'm not underaged. He changed his tune and let me in. Another incident, one bouncer was giving me a hard time... I told the bouncer my birthyear and I don't think he knew his math because he looked blank for a moment. He let me in quick rather than trying to figure out how old I was. lol

Honestly, you have to be rude with some people. I'm not saying make a scene, but it's only fair that they be treated the way they treat others.

I like that idea lol. My boyfriend is the one who would be rude though. He's not shy at all. I'm surprised he didn't say anything last night.

Hastings & Main

Is it a dive bar? There's plenty of seedy joints around here where that kind of rudeness is part of the general atmosphere and is pretty much expected.
If it's supposed to be a more respectable place, I'd turn the embarrassment into anger and brazen it out with a "Well, can I call you 'Mother'?", and see which way the crowd turns.
Or, steel yourself & get the management down for a talk with the bartender in question.
Me, I'd probably switch bars or go in with the ID on a chain around my neck as a smart-ass non-verbal retort to this 'tender....

coyote

The bartender obviously hasn't learned that she gets paid to serve you.

You don't have to spend your money there.

Or tip her.

It would be appropriate to remind her of that fact.

Feathers

Oh gosh, I've been asked if my friend (who is a year older than me) is my mum??

And when I finished Uni some people asked 'Have you finished school yet?' and they meant 'primary' school!!! LOL!! OMG!

Actually I have a few lines now and I think look my age (or more, on some days) and I miss the days when I was looking so young, lol!! :)

(I was really angry about it sometimes though, lol.. Though after a certain time you do get flattered if people think you're 18 or 20.. lol..)

Last edited:

Pookah

I just plain don't go to bars. /shrug

If you are 21, you just became of age to drink, so I'm not sure you should be surprised about being carded.

There is no reason for the bartender to be rude though, I would cease patronage.

Looking_in105

Every time my boyfriend and I go out to a bar, the bartender always gives us a weird look and asks for I.D in a rude way. I believe we look young because we are both pretty short lol. Well, last night we went out, and as soon as the bartender saw my boyfriend and I, she said in a bitchy way, "Look, if you are not 21, you need to get out of here!" She said it so loud, and everyone turned around and stared at us. My boyfriend just chuckled and threw his I.D up there. I was so embarrassed! After she saw both our I.D, she says again in a bitchy tone, "Wow, you two look like you need to be in bed for school tomorrow." Everyone laughs, and I want to die right there. The funny thing is my one friend that was with us didn't get carded at all. :/ I hate looking so young! Once we go away from the bartender, it was fine. It sucks when you first walk in, and ever stares at you funny. Does this happen to anyone else?

I smell a hint of jealousy from the bartender...;)

I look quite young for my age, and I feel that some of the older customer service people etc seem to hate serving me. appears as though they're embarrassed or seem annoyed they need to serve a teenager ( eventho im not one, but i look like it).

KiaKaha

Banned
Thats just downright rude. I cant stand people like that...being bitchy and nasty for no reason. I would go to a different bar. They dont deserve your custom.

SeptembersGold19

Who cares what they think! Don't let it affect your good time out! There's a lot of negative people and haters in this world! By the way... You should be happy that you look young....... trust me!

Shy_Gurl2007

All these comments have made me feel so much better! Thank you all so much. I think I might actually go back to that bar and face that bitch, if she tries to be snippy with me again! :)