I'm crazy nervous about lunch time in college

Auburn

I used to hide between the school building to eat my lunch when I was in secondary school, but now I'm in college I don't have this option and I'm terrified.

Food is my enemy and I truly mean it. I hate eating so it's hard enough as it is. The college I start in a couple days is very very small and we're expected to leave the grounds and get/eat our lunches in town (though I think we can also eat in the classroom. Not that I would).

The problem is I don't know where or what to do. I'm beyond terrified to eat with other people so the classroom option is out the window which leaves me with town. But that will force me to have to eat in public anyway! I'd have to find somewhere to sit! What if it's busy and there's nowhere for me to go! What if the weathers bad and I can't be outside!?

I wish I could skip this meal all together, but I know my stomach would make music the entire time in class if I don't, and that alone would be enough to make me never go back.

I have a couple friends there already, but just thinking about them asking me to go eat with them makes me feel queasy.

mca88

I completely relate. In college I would skip meals just because I was terrified of going to the dining centre or god forbid the grocery store. I survived off vending machines food for a while. Lol. Not good. Not fun at all.

slimjim119

I can relate also. When I went to college locally I think I was in the cafeteria only twice. I avoided it like the plague. I would eat in my car or go home to eat which wasn't too far away.

At least you have some friends you can eat with. It should help a little. I know I felt more at ease eating with people I knew. Being alone was a lot harder. Well good luck.:)

Auburn

I start tomorrow and I'm so nervous I want to cry. I can't eat around people I just can't full stop. Everybody in my life keeps blowing me off saying that I'll be fine even though history states otherwise. It's such a dumb thing to be so nervous about food of all things. I don't even know what I'm supposed to do with the half an hour of lunch!? Just stand there in the middle of town a complete wreck and too nervous to eat.
I can already feel the panic attack I'm gonna have in the morning.

I usually have a person from a youth center walk me to class (when we were doing taster sessions which were only half a day) and sit with me for a bit then we go outside at 9:30 for fresh air and to talk about my anxiety or how the day is going to go, then she leaves me to go back to class on my own for the rest of the day. She's such a huge help and I need that little moment outside to gather myself, but she's not going to be with me tomorrow (of all days!). So that's adding to my nervousness.

I'm fighting so much to stop myself from wanting to stay home, but it's really reaally hard right now

Last edited:

Megaten

What I usually do is bring a packed lunch and eat outside in a low traffic area. Emphasis on the low traffic area, because the last time I sat where a lot of people walked by I got some remarks from people when I was minding my own business. Maybe your friends will invite you to sit with them.

DanielLewis

You're creating all sorts of unnecessary fear and worry. You don't know how busy it will be. You don't know how the weather will be. Just go and eat. I assure you that you'll be fine.

fate12321

Try bringing your own meal and try to find a place to sit on campus. This is what I usually do.

well I guess this was yesterday so I hope today went ok

My advice for what its worth

If nothing changes... nothing changes. And what could be worse than doing this forever so you gotta try something different, try a new way because however bad you think its going to be to eat in public, worrying about it forever is worse. And believe me the anxiety gets worse the longer you put things off to the point were the anxiety about the scary thing is so so much worse than the scary thing. As appealing as it might sound to stay home and not go in because of it....if nothing changes...nothing changes and nothing is worse than 'nothing' changing. If nothing changes in another 10 years youll be facing the same thing and worrying. The situation wont change unless you do something out of the ordinary to change it so you instead of being passive about it and avoiding and trying to get around it, you gotta take ownership of the situation and face it head on. Youll come out of this the best way that way. And I know that sounds like the worst thing right now but believe me, however bad you think it is, nothing is worse than nothing changing. And if you dont believe me take it from any number of people on this forum that have avoided and delayed and put lives on hold for days weeks months years decades, the best way is however hard to try not to let things hold you back, ask for help. I think maybe it might be a good idea to talk to drop an email maybe to the counsellor in college. Lots of people have anxieties and they are so used to absolutely everything you can imagine, they often have excellent advice and resources and might even be able to give practical advice and support, perhaps there is a support groups for people with anxiety or even they might suggest a place you can go to eat that might help. They just want to be able to offer support to help you get through college.

Let us know how it goes, I have a lot of food anxiety I really struggle but believe me, avoidance gets you nowhere...for a long time.

zharl

My suggestion is to find a tree. That's what I usually do in school. If the weather outside is frightful, maybe a secluded corner table would work? You could also try the Library, if they allow that kind of thing--they do on my campus at least--people tend to leave you alone in there.