I'm a Rich, Nigerian Prince...

Xervello

...who watches Dexter and The Walking Dead. Among other things. I need new people to chat to about my shows! Or how free verse poetry is for lazy people. And a thousand other things. I have loads of time to kill, and an MSN seat to fill. If you're interested, message me. I'll pay you in blood-crusted bullion. ;-) Warning: it's cursed. How do you think I got my SAD! Srsly though, did anyone watch TWD's The Killer Within. Ugh.

By the way, I saw a Xmas commercial during a Halloween movie marathon. Really? I'm thinking of collecting signatures for an initiative that bans said advertisments til AFTER Thanksgiving at the earliest. It's time our nation finally addressed this problem. That is all.

jonas89

I thought this was about on how I would get rich by helping a prince to claim his money from his dad by giving him some money :Þ haha

But I haven't watch the latest episode due to studies, maybe I'll in the evening.

Ruditchka

...who watches Dexter and The Walking Dead. Among other things. I need new people to chat to about my shows! Or how free verse poetry is for lazy people. And a thousand other things. I have loads of time to kill, and an MSN seat to fill. If you're interested, message me. I'll pay you in blood-crusted bullion. ;-) Warning: it's cursed. How do you think I got my SAD! Srsly though, did anyone watch TWD's The Killer Within. Ugh.

By the way, I saw a Xmas commercial during a Halloween movie marathon. Really? I'm thinking of collecting signatures for an initiative that bans said advertisments til AFTER Thanksgiving at the earliest. It's time our nation finally addressed this problem. That is all.

I used to write strictly "rhyme" poetry for many, many years until I found that free-verse is much more meaningful and isn't altered by having to find words that rhyme. To say it is lazy is just BS. I've written for over 30 years and free-verse is the only way I write now. When you "advance" your skills one day , maybe you to will find that your free-vers poetry will make you want to throw your "rhyme" poetry in a trash can. I've kept both, but I'll put free-verse on a higher pedestal anyday.

Oh, I do love "The Walking Dead" though!

Xervello

I used to write strictly "rhyme" poetry for many, many years until I found that free-verse is much more meaningful and isn't altered by having to find words that rhyme. To say it is lazy is just BS. I've written for over 30 years and free-verse is the only way I write now. When you "advance" your skills one day , maybe you to will find that your free-vers poetry will make you want to throw your "rhyme" poetry in a trash can. I've kept both, but I'll put free-verse on a higher pedestal anyday.

Oh, I do love "The Walking Dead" though!

Here's the thing, free verse when written by capable writers CAN be meaningful, artful and so forth. But my general point pertains mostly to amateurs. It's the go-to method for those who just scribble their journal thoughts down without any poetic merit to it. Free verse, in order to be seen as an equal form in my eyes, has to have some technical devices being applied within it. Otherwise it's just a journal entry or essay. Which then bothers me when people claim so much of free verse to be "poetry". Fixed verse requires the writer to adhere to some technical standard. Why does that matter? Because it's evident that some effort, time and skill was required in order to complete it. Fixed verse poetry can be executed badly. But at least I can respect that some thought was put into it. With free verse, often I can't. And that's not just my failing as a reader. It's the obvious lack of purpose by the author using free verse as an excuse to appear "mysterious" or "elusive" - this post-modern disease of relying on the observer to define the work. It's lazy. Of most that write it.

Poetry is a meaningless word now to me. Over the last few decades, poetry and poets have devolved into caricatures and jokes. Free verse is largely the reason. It's lived past its usefulness. I'm hoping for a fixed form rejuvenation. And on some sites people have re-embraced it. Poetry needs it swagger back. More importantly, it needs to recapture its snobbery. Otherwise the art will continue to remain at the bottom rung of the ladder, right alongside song lyrics.

Roman Legion

Petitions are in most cases, quite useless. I believe it is idiotic for advertisers to do this stuff, but so few people in America care as long as they get their shopping fix. I believe George Carlin said that the real national religion in the US was not Christianity, but rather consumerism. I have long ago stopped watching TV, with the occasional Walking Dead or Mad Men, but I watch everything commercial free from my computer. The best way to fight advertising spam is by means of civil disobedience. Simply do what you think is right regardless of the consequences. I do not listen to radio, but rather burn CDs or play the MP3 files, TV is substituted for books and computer and on the computer I block all ads. Americans do not care about anything but feeding their own wants, not needs but pure uneccesary wants and corporations hire advertising agencies to cater to this obsession with wants (The things you own, end up owning you.). <End Rant>

Xervello

Petitions are in most cases, quite useless. I believe it is idiotic for advertisers to do this stuff, but so few people in America care as long as they get their shopping fix. I believe George Carlin said that the real national religion in the US was not Christianity, but rather consumerism. I have long ago stopped watching TV, with the occasional Walking Dead or Mad Men, but I watch everything commercial free from my computer. The best way to fight advertising spam is by means of civil disobedience. Simply do what you think is right regardless of the consequences. I do not listen to radio, but rather burn CDs or play the MP3 files, TV is substituted for books and computer and on the computer I block all ads. Americans do not care about anything but feeding their own wants, not needs but pure uneccesary wants and corporations hire advertising agencies to cater to this obsession with wants (The things you own, end up owning you.). <End Rant>

Anyone who quotes George Carlin gets my attention. Well done. The petition was a joke. But my annoyance with it was not. As for material goods, I agree. I protest consumerism by being poor, lol. Actually, I'm not going to hate on advertisements too much. I've discovered some of the best music thanks to commercials. The Xmas ones, however, are a whole other deal. Then again, Xmas itself is a multi-paragraph-worthy rant that I'll try to avoid here. For most adults its more about the family (and gift buying) and for children, about the gift-getting. It's always been that way, but heightened, I think, in the last couple decades. If the majority toned down the gift part and elevated the family aspect more, I think it would be beneficial for all. All but the economy, that is. Xmas has become such a cornerstone for retail that too many businesses hang their fate on this time of year. Hence why the "season" begins so early. At any rate, it's the reality at the moment. I just want them to stay off of Halloween's turf, yo. Or else we's gots a problem, Mr. Claus.