If you knew more nice people would your SA be gone ?

myheartisastone

Nope. For me it's not an issue of "nice" people vs "mean" people. Obviously i'll feel less anxious around "nice" people, but that doesn't completely get rid of my anxiety.

It's always there no matter what.

depression is an illness caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain

the illness, in turn, affects your thinking, causing you to see the world the way you do

treat the illness, and your world will become a better place

I disagree with this whole way of thinking. It's basically telling people that they think about things incorrectly, which I don't believe is either morally right. I don't believe that it's even possible to think about something incorrectly; any thoughts one has are not correct or incorrect- they just are. (Unless, of course, your thoughts involve hurting someone else.) People see the same things in different ways; that doesn't make the more pessimistic way wrong.

I see good in the world, but the bad far outweighs it. So the "way the world is" depresses me also.

Our thoughts and personalities are electrochemical processes and I'd rather die trying to change what I think is wrong with the world than artificially modify my brain to be ok with it.

coyote

I disagree with this whole way of thinking. It's basically telling people that they think about things incorrectly, which I don't believe is either morally right. I don't believe that it's even possible to think about something incorrectly; any thoughts one has are not correct or incorrect- they just are. (Unless, of course, your thoughts involve hurting someone else.) People see the same things in different ways; that doesn't make the more pessimistic way wrong.

I see good in the world, but the bad far outweighs it. So the "way the world is" depresses me also.

Our thoughts and personalities are electrochemical processes and I'd rather die trying to change what I think is wrong with the world than artificially modify my brain to be ok with it.

where did I use the words "wrong" or "incorrect?"

and there are plenty of ways to change your brain and body chemistry that are not artificial

:thumbup:

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole

and there are plenty of ways to change your brain and body chemistry that are not artificial

I think there is just a little misunderstanding here. You guys are not talking about the same thing. There is a big difference between being depressed by how the world goes, and having clinical depression.

Edit: About OP's question, I think it's not impossible that being surrounded by more "nice" people as you grow up could have a counter-effect if you were bullied. But once grown-up, people in general are nice enough or at least neutral, and we should be strong enough to not let the few cruel people we encounter ruin the day.

Last edited:

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as accusatory and I'm not saying anything against you specifically, coyote. I just don't like the way our modern society deals with people who are depressed/have depression. (I don't like a lot about modern society!)

If a person is looking to change someone's mind about something, he's basically saying that the other person's way of looking at it is wrong, and his way is right. Which is what culture and society does: tells people how they should act and think.

Antidepressants- the most used method for treating clinical depression- are manufactured, artificial drugs which alter brain chemistry.

girlinthecorner

the illness, in turn, affects your thinking, causing you to see the world the way you do

I do think being depressed makes me feel things more but treating it definitely wouldn't make the world better. Being drugged up would probably make me think it's better but people would still be horrible.

coyote

Antidepressants- the most used method for treating clinical depression- are manufactured, artificial drugs which alter brain chemistry.

...Being drugged up would probably make me think it's better but people would still be horrible.

there's also exercise, diet, meditation, CBT, counselling, etc. - many treatments that don't involve pharmaceuticals

they could change your life :thumbup:

Kiwong

I think depression is more than a chemical imbalance, it can be by product of trauma and abuse, by living in environments, school and work for example that are harmful to your health. I can be really positive around positive people and situations that inspire me. I've proved I can be happy away from my toxic work and living environment. If you don't try to fix what you can that is wrong about the environment in which you live, then the illness will not be possible to treat.

shyguy210

I feel this way sometime that this is a big part of my SA . I wish their was better people in this world. It feels pointless to try and win the approval of rude people all the time that I don`t real like to begin with .​
well How do you all feel about this ? If you knew nicer people in this world would your SA be gone ?

don't think so..if there were less people criticizing and judging then maybe yes

Kiwong

I think my problem is the way I react to people. People are complicated even the nice ones. I'm too sensitive in the way I respond to people, kind or unkind. I tend to focus on perceived unkindness. If someone is unkind I dwell on it, and think about, I become angry and fearful. I get into a spiral of anxious and angry thoughts that can go on for days. People are kind to me too, bit I don't respond to that with the same intensity as I do unkindness. It's my sensitivity which is a part of this illness.

Last edited:

Zackarydoo

Yes to the OP, my SA would definitely be so much better if people were nicer. The whole reason I suffer from it is because of the way people have always treated me and reacted towards me, bullied me when at school and then when I started work, and even today when people walk or drive past they sometimes make their feelings known. Without all that I would be a different person.

Flanscho

I spent my last decade of getting a circle of friends of nice people. And it was worth it. And it helped me overcome my SA.

Nanita

I regain a little trust in humanity, whenever I´m having a good time with a nice-behaving person... But sometimes it doesn´t matter how nice people around me behave, I still feel nervous and can´t handle the socializing. I guess it is myself and my own demons/issues, that I can´t handle.

Whoopdeedoo

There are nice people out there
Ive had lovely interactions with strangers
But I allowed a few bad apples
To Spoil the bunch
And thats what we have to heal
While preventing future bad apples
From having @ you again

It seems to all come down to having boundries and belief in yourself
And its practice that makes perfect
So i take on my small life in small managable doses
And take babysteps toward healing everyday