I think I'm finally going to tell someone

squidgee

Day after tomorrow is a compulsory school camp thing that I really do not wish to go. I plan on convincing the teacher/organiser if he/she could make an exception due to anxiety problems, I'd be more than happy to go to school instead.

The thing is though, my SAD is self diagnosed, and even though it's very likely that I indeed do have SAD, I don't think I could make a convincing argument without a doctor's note or something. I can only talk to the teacher tomorrow because I stupidly left this to the last minute and I couldn't possibly see a doctor in time. I don't know what to tell him, where to start. It's intimidating because I've never told anyone about it. I've worried myself for the past two months about this very incident and all I did was try to distract myself and put it at the back of my mind.

Really need some advice on what to say.

R3K

make an appointment with your doctor. then tell your teacher your situation and that you'll have a doctor's note for him next week or w/e, but that going to this event will exacerbate your anxiety

Nanita

That sounds familiar to me. When I started to realize I had SA it was really difficult to admit it, and explain it to people.
I was in a history class years ago and we had made plans to go to Italy as an educative experience (or partying, basically!) I wanted to go, or so I thought, and I even paid a deposit of the price for the trip. Then I started skipping classes because of social anxiety. In the back of my mind I knew I couldn't handle going on that trip, but I couldn't figure out how to tell the history teacher. About a month before that trip the teacher called me on the phone and asked how I was doing and why he hadn't seen me at school for a long while. I told him straight out that I was experiencing a lot of social anxiety and that I couldn't stand going to school, and that I couldn't handle going on the trip. He was really nice and understood me and didn't make a big deal about it, he just said then it's probably better that you take care of yourself and don't worry about the trip or my history classes. He pretty much told me to keep skipping classes... And that I could call him if I needed to talk or anything.
Now he might have been the coolest teacher ever, and it might be more difficult for you to tell people about your difficulties. But sometimes people can be surprisingly understanding. I think you should try to tell it like it is, even though it feels embarrassing or like you can't get the words out.

Last edited:

goblin

Personally, I would leave out the actual term and not try to make a case of it beyond telling them that you're thinking of seeing a professional. Some teachers don't care about their students at all, but I think if your teacher is one of those who do he or she will be able to tell that you're serious about anxiety and possibly give you a break.

squidgee

Wow I'm pathetic...

I thought I was actually going to do it but I chickened out every single time. Before School, nope. Recess, nope. Lunchtime, nope. After school, too late. :kickingmyself:

Now I'm at home and I'll just have to endure the next two days the best I can and hope it's not as bad as think it will be. In the meantime, I'm trying my very best to stay positive, but I'm still quite apprehensive.

Thanks for the responses, they were interesting to read and would be useful if I wasn't such a wuss at times.

MikeyC

Good luck with the camp, mate. I hope it turns out far less intense than you anticipate. :)

squidgee

To my pleasant surprise, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I can't say it was fun and I wouldn't go back anytime soon, but at least I kept calm... mostly.

There was one incident...
On the train back home, people were giving me weird looks, which made me nervous and then I realised that my jeans were unzipped.:eek: That was awkward to say the least.

But in retrospect I realise that I've been worrying myself over nothing of much significance, and that had I convinced the organiser not to go, I would've missed out on an oppotunity to test my anxiety and expose myself a little. I don't think I feel as self-conscious about my appearance as before (though I'm still rubbish at socializing).

MikeyC

On the train back home, people were giving me weird looks, which made me nervous and then I realised that my jeans were unzipped.:eek: That was awkward to say the least.
Bahahaha, oh man! How unfortunate!

But in retrospect I realise that I've been worrying myself over nothing of much significance, and that had I convinced the organiser not to go, I would've missed out on an oppotunity to test my anxiety and expose myself a little. I don't think I feel as self-conscious about my appearance as before (though I'm still rubbish at socializing).
Things like this are never as bad as we envision them to be, so I'm glad you went and got some experience from it. :)

goblin

To my pleasant surprise, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I can't say it was fun and I wouldn't go back anytime soon, but at least I kept calm... mostly.

Consider it good fortune and something to emulate, then! :applause:

Nanita

I'm glad to see your update on how it went!

Things like this are never as bad as we envision them to be, so I'm glad you went and got some experience from it. :)

I often find this to be true... Our worries are worse than actual incidents.