I need your help!

Harleyq

You guys need to convince me to go through with Halloween night at work. I just tried out my Sweeney Todd costume and it's so f-cking cool! It's just that it's really elaborate - clothes, accessories, makeup, hair, fake blood. So being socially anxious, I'm having second thoughts like "What if it's too much? What if I'm the only one who actually goes through with dressing up?"

Snap me out of it :)

Oh yeah, and not related to SA but the only thing I can't figure out is how to incorporate a (fake) razor into my costume so any suggestions would be helpful, but not necessary.

RedRibbons

Do it. People will love it. I'm sure all the customers will get a kick out of it. Just enjoy it - the spirit of halloween.. You'll regret it if you don't really.. Halloween rules!! Celebrate! XD

Harleyq

Do it. People will love it. I'm sure all the customers will get a kick out of it. Just enjoy it - the spirit of halloween.. You'll regret it if you don't really.. Halloween rules!! Celebrate! XD

Yeah, Halloween is the best holiday, IMO. What other time can you go around and literally demand strangers to give you candy - and then they do it and are happy about it?

Thanks for the encouragement

agoraphobickatie

is there any way you could rig up the razor so it hangs from a necklace? or something like that?? idk, if it's a straight razor and you could wrap it in some kind of flexible wire kinda cool and have it hang from just a plain necklace... i don't know! i'll try to think of other stuff! lol...

and you should totally do it!! people will love it, and you can just run around telling yourself people aren't looking at you because you screwed something up or did something wrong, they're just looking at your outfit, and that is ALL they see.. maybe it could be cool to feel like you're just hiding behind that mask?? lol... it's weird, but sometimes if i have to go places and i'm nervous, i'll wear my sunglasses inside, or i'll just not try to get dressed up, so i look like bum, lol.. then i think "well they're only looking at me because i look retarded" and somehow, that's easier for me to handle than "they think i'm sick! or i'm going to puke! or i'm anxious!" lol.. i dunno if you get what i'm sayin? haha..... but anyway, you've been through tons of crazy/stressful nights at work and you've made it out alive! this time it could actually just be a lot of fun! do it! :)

Harleyq

is there any way you could rig up the razor so it hangs from a necklace? or something like that?? idk, if it's a straight razor and you could wrap it in some kind of flexible wire kinda cool and have it hang from just a plain necklace... i don't know! i'll try to think of other stuff! lol...

and you should totally do it!! people will love it, and you can just run around telling yourself people aren't looking at you because you screwed something up or did something wrong, they're just looking at your outfit, and that is ALL they see.. maybe it could be cool to feel like you're just hiding behind that mask?? lol... it's weird, but sometimes if i have to go places and i'm nervous, i'll wear my sunglasses inside, or i'll just not try to get dressed up, so i look like bum, lol.. then i think "well they're only looking at me because i look retarded" and somehow, that's easier for me to handle than "they think i'm sick! or i'm going to puke! or i'm anxious!" lol.. i dunno if you get what i'm sayin? haha..... but anyway, you've been through tons of crazy/stressful nights at work and you've made it out alive! this time it could actually just be a lot of fun! do it! :)

That's a cute idea for a razor...I just need to find one - or make one. I wouldn't know how to go about doing that. I can draw so maybe I'll just draw one out onto some cardboard or something lol. I just don't want it to look really tacky.

I like the thought of hiding behind a mask. Just crazy enough to work :D

Tiercel

Definitely do it! As far as the razor goes, I'd say either posterboard or cardboard with some unwrinkled tinfoil glued on for the metal part. Add in one of those thumb tack type things with the two prongs on the back (looks like a little brass button that you push through, then flatten the prongs in opposite directions) and a crappy handle that you'll have in your hand anyway, and there's a razor. And a crappy razor is better than dealing with a cop for carrying a real one. If anyone asks about it, you could always say something like, "The cops already took all my good ones." Or pout and say, "Mommy doesn't let me play with real knives anymore."

Back in college I made a (crappy) knight costume out of cardboard. At least the stencil work on the shield looked good (sorry, pic is lost somewhere around here). The roommate didn't appreciate me using silver spraypaint in the dorm room, but he was a slob anyway. And I won a bag of candy, so it was worth it.

Of course, the year before I dressed up like Eric Draven and lost to a girl with a store-bought Spongebob costume. And I still hate that little yellow guy. :D

Harleyq

Definitely do it! As far as the razor goes....

TIN FOIL!!!! Oh my god, I feel so stupid for never having thought of that, it seems so obvious!

You, my dear, are nothing short of Genius. I love all your ideas and I'm going to start making a shopping list of materials I need to make a blade. And then I'm going to combine it with Katie's idea of having it around my neck.

I love you all ::eek::

Mack_Berserk

You guys need to convince me to go through with Halloween night at work. I just tried out my Sweeney Todd costume and it's so f-cking cool! It's just that it's really elaborate - clothes, accessories, makeup, hair, fake blood. So being socially anxious, I'm having second thoughts like "What if it's too much? What if I'm the only one who actually goes through with dressing up?"

Oh yeah, and not related to SA but the only thing I can't figure out is how to incorporate a (fake) razor into my costume so any suggestions would be helpful, but not necessary.

If you haven't left yet...

I just saw your costume and it's pretty kickass. If anything, people will be impressed. No suggestions for the razor incorporation because... i'm just not creative like that.

*snaps fingers* Kay, now GO FOR IT

Harleyq

I don't think i have ever dressed up for Halloween except for when i was a kid, but it sounds fun though do it to it!

This'll actually be my first Halloween dressed up. I used to do it when I was little, but my mom never let me trick-or-treat so I just played around the house in my costume. I don't count those times.

I guess I should use that as incentive - if I don't do it this Halloween, who knows when I'll get another opportunity.

Nack

Banned
Eh...All my costumes as a little kid were just a batman mask, paint on face; color hairspray a little here and there and.. PROFIT!
O yea i forgot, DO IT!

If you don't wear your costume I will convince everyone here never to talk to you again. :D I wore my halloween king costume complete with hat, tights, and tunic, around a popular college town the day after halloween. Only a few other people were still in costume and no one even gave me a second glance.

Ebbe

You should definitely go! Dressing up is a great way to express yourself without having to talk.
It's also an easy way to initiate and practice smalltalk if you would want to, because you already know that people are going to say to you: "Wow, I love your costume! That must have been a lot of work." (or something similar), so you can prepare some replies.
Hope you have a lot of fun!

Tiercel

You, my dear, are nothing short of Genius.

This is far and away the best thing a woman has ever said to me. And it's the first comment I've received in quite a while, so thanks a lot. It almost makes me believe in myself. Almost. ;)

If you said that to me in person, a hug wouldn't show enough appreciation. I'd have to kiss the back of your hand.

I'm glad I could help, though your costume looks good enough without any help.

Maybe that would be how to get people from this board to meet in real life. The SPW Masquerade Ball. We could actually meet others with social hangups without having to reveal our true selves. At the very least, it'd be a reason to get dressed up and act like an ass.

:D