I missed it, that moment...

psych

... The high five moment, I totally missed it.

The two people I was standing with exchanged looks too...
Damnit! I wanted to explain... I was holding a drink & a letter of recommendation in my hands... My shoulders were really tense... & I just failed to respond. ::(:

The thing is, it was sooo hard for me to ask for references in the first place... Then, someone went out of their way to write that for me...

& Like all wonderful surprises, it made my blood pressure go up, my nerves frayed, & I was a mess of tension.
Such a wrong reaction to something good. So backward.
Gawd, I'm so screwed up!
conf45.gif

market.garden

Shaking hands & hugging people goodbye. Even worse when you go in for it and either back out halfway, or do it so half arsed the moment sort of... limps away.

psych

Awww...
Just the memories, makes me sort of clench my teeth in agony.
Sweaty handshakes are another. That panicked moment when you don't know whether to wipe your hand off on yer jeans or not. Oy!::(:

bcsr

I never miss an opportunity for a high-five, knuckle-bump, or a hug. Those are just fun to do!

WeirdyMcGee

I miss it on purpose- don't like touching people.
haha
And when I miss it accidentally due to pure cluelessness; I pretend that I meant to miss it-- like, I'm too cool to high-five, yo.

psych

Hahaha! I like that answer, WMG! :D

Thanks for the replies guys, it's helping me take this more lighthearted.

Kinda the opposite of what this thread is about. A couple years ago I shook a guy's hand for.. no reason. He was reaching for something that I was going to hand him, and for some reason I went to shake his hand instead. He was an older guy, laughed at me a bit, but accepted the handshake.

Probably the most polite embarrassing thing I've ever done.

WeirdyMcGee

He was reaching for something that I was going to hand him, and for some reason I went to shake his hand instead. He was an older guy, laughed at me a bit, but accepted the handshake.

haha
I think that sounds sweet-- seeing as he laughed and accepted the shake, he probably enjoyed it.

Boby

Kinda the opposite of what this thread is about. A couple years ago I shook a guy's hand for.. no reason. He was reaching for something that I was going to hand him, and for some reason I went to shake his hand instead. He was an older guy, laughed at me a bit, but accepted the handshake.

Probably the most polite embarrassing thing I've ever done.

Haha that happened to me too at a weeding,there was guy from the bride family near me and I had the impression he was trying to reach with his hand for a handshake.The truth is he was just trying to point to something but I shook his hand and introduced myself,really awkward moment....

Darkness_'82

For me, the most embarrassing ones are when someone says "Hi" and I say hi back, and then I realise they were talking to someone else. And then I feel like a total d**k. I HATE that. When someone says something and you don't know if they were talking to you, or to someone else. Really embarrassing, plus having SA just makes it even worse.

psych

For me, the most embarrassing ones are when someone says "Hi" and I say hi back, and then I realise they were talking to someone else. And then I feel like a total d**k. I HATE that. When someone says something and you don't know if they were talking to you, or to someone else. Really embarrassing, plus having SA just makes it even worse.

I said hi to someone from behind as I was leaving work the other day... They turned, & it wasn't the person I thought it was... Wasn't that big a deal, but I was a bit mortified. I just gave a big cheesy smile, probably made them wonder... wtf :confused: