I hope I get fired tomorrow

harlseq

I've been wanting to quit for a while now, but am too afraid to actually do it. Getting fired will make it SO much easier... plus it'll be more like "let go" or "laid off" instead of being fired. It's a very high-stress job and as my SA has been increasing a lot lately I feel I really need to have some time off to unwind. I've also been getting a lot done on my days off such as home repairs, DIY projects, woodworking, writing etc. Also I live with my mom so it's not like I'll be homeless or anything.

Wouldn't it be better to just resign? That usually looks better on the resume I think than being fired. Maybe just cite some of the usual reasons... spend more time with family, pursue another line of work.. etc...

Honda

Resign but if i where you wait a while to find an alternative job cuz im struggling to find another job as i quit my last one cuz my ex-boss was anal..

harlseq

What would be the best way to resign? I know it's customary to give 2 weeks notice, but I don't know if I'd be able to stand the awkwardness of those two weeks. Do you think it would be okay to just give one week or maybe just a few days? If I do resign I'm not just gonna quit without any kind notice because that would totally throw other people under the bus and it's the kind of job where someone does need to be there. Also my manager is a decent guy who hasn't treated me bad or anything, so I don't want to cause any major problems if I can avoid it.

I just feel like the stress of this job is draining the life from me and that I could probably find something less stressful and closer to home if I really needed it.

Feathers

He he, I've had jobs I was really happy to say bye-bye to, too! So I can understand!

Check how it is with any unemployment benefits (if you could use them) - would you get them if you got fired/'laid off' (that may depend somewhat on how long you've been working for them too) - do get advice about it locally (with the unemployment office?) as it may be different around the world..
If you resign, I'm not sure if you get anything.. Also, how will your parents look at it if you are 'let go' or if you quit? (And if you are without a job, and for how long?)
If you manage to get 'let go' for some valid reason (like restructuring of companies etc) it may not be seen so bad on your CV anyway.. I'd be more worried about possible gaps if you just quit and live at home.. (Also, living with parents while not working can be or turn into somewhat of a nightmare lol.)
How easy is it to get a job or do freelancing or start your own biz/non profit in your line of work? Could you start looking for something now already?

About the time between resigning and stopping work, check your contract, what does it say there? If there's nothing, see if there's any official stuff online for people in your line of work. (In my country, there is.)

Emily_G

I've only had 3 jobs in my lifetime. One was at a college out of state, so I automatically "quit" when summer break came. One was at a bagel shop and one at a day care....I put in a 2 week notice both places, I didn't find it akward at all.

harlseq

He he, I've had jobs I was really happy to say bye-bye to, too! So I can understand!

Check how it is with any unemployment benefits (if you could use them) - would you get them if you got fired/'laid off' (that may depend somewhat on how long you've been working for them too) - do get advice about it locally (with the unemployment office?) as it may be different around the world..
If you resign, I'm not sure if you get anything.. Also, how will your parents look at it if you are 'let go' or if you quit? (And if you are without a job, and for how long?)
If you manage to get 'let go' for some valid reason (like restructuring of companies etc) it may not be seen so bad on your CV anyway.. I'd be more worried about possible gaps if you just quit and live at home.. (Also, living with parents while not working can be or turn into somewhat of a nightmare lol.)
How easy is it to get a job or do freelancing or start your own biz/non profit in your line of work? Could you start looking for something now already?

About the time between resigning and stopping work, check your contract, what does it say there? If there's nothing, see if there's any official stuff online for people in your line of work. (In my country, there is.)

Unemployment would be nice and it is another reason why I would rather not just resign straight away. However, at the same time if you give them a legitimate reason to fire you then in many cases you won't get benefits then either. I can tell my most of my immediate supervisors don't care for me... they give me funny looks and seem to cock attitudes with me when talking to me. Like I've said, I've been feeling increasingly anxious and uncomfortable with the job mainly because I was basically thrown into a new unit (I work in corrections) with different standards/procedures and a whole new set of responsibilities and wasn't told a damn thing about how to actually do it. I have a hard time sticking up for myself to begin with and so I find myself just taking these things in stride by myself (half the time my immediate supervisor doesn't even answer her phone to begin with) and gleaming info from other staff in the unit. Just not a work environment I feel comfortable in anymore.

I've only had 3 jobs in my lifetime. One was at a college out of state, so I automatically "quit" when summer break came. One was at a bagel shop and one at a day care....I put in a 2 week notice both places, I didn't find it akward at all.

Well good for you.

Richey

I hope I get fired tomorrow

sameg ::(:

only because i find it to be a massive waste of time even though i know its the responsible method of living. i feel that i'm comforming most of the time instead of enjoying the job.

i think i'll end up walking out soon and just doing as i please for a living. have to plan it out though.

Last edited:

Feathers

Unemployment would be nice and it is another reason why I would rather not just resign straight away. However, at the same time if you give them a legitimate reason to fire you then in many cases you won't get benefits then either. I can tell my most of my immediate supervisors don't care for me... they give me funny looks and seem to cock attitudes with me when talking to me. Like I've said, I've been feeling increasingly anxious and uncomfortable with the job mainly because I was basically thrown into a new unit (I work in corrections) with different standards/procedures and a whole new set of responsibilities and wasn't told a damn thing about how to actually do it. I have a hard time sticking up for myself to begin with and so I find myself just taking these things in stride by myself (half the time my immediate supervisor doesn't even answer her phone to begin with) and gleaming info from other staff in the unit. Just not a work environment I feel comfortable in anymore.
Hm, there are ways to get fired while still looking good on the outside lol But I don't necessarily recommend them.. Like I said, can you find out if the company is going to do any restructuring (mergers, moving...?) or such anytime soon? This might explain some of supervisors' inertia...?

My sister worked for a company that moved her around all the time, when she got used to something, they moved her.. and it sucked, yeah.. She just didn't renew her contract when it came round to it..

Can you find out about the unit and how to do the job and/or what's the deal with the supervisors? (Maybe other people who have been there longer can help?) You can also see online if the company is having any financial difficulties and might collapse soon? (There may be websites and forums with this info, at least they are here where I live..) If the company's going to collapse or restructure anyway it might be worth it to wait..
You may also want to find out what are the legitimate and non legitimate reasons to still get benefits? And what are any responsibilities of employers too?

I'm pretty sure they'd need to tell you what you need to do-? It might be worth it to try to get some job description or such from someone, you can just say, 'I'd like to do my job better and make things easier for you, when could we talk for (10 minutes/half an hour, whatever you deem necessary)' or something like that? Or could you get an informal mentor? Or find stuff (like standards etc) online?

Ideally you'd talk to someone in that unit on your level (or a previous predecessor?) in an informal way first if you can? (Be careful of telling too much though, just try to 'feel out' a situation, don't say a word about your possible intentions!! Just ask how they have usually worked and if it's been like that with others/your predecessor too, how come the other person left - or was this a new position? and if they had someone else in mind for your position or such?) Take it all with a grain of salt, it may not be all necessarily true anyway, so just act in a distant manner, but it could be helpful info..

Some people don't work by phone and e-mails or just going there might be better? Or they may be real bad with organizing or expect you to know it all or something like that?

There may be bosses who may think it's best to just 'throw people in the water' and see if they swim - others may have their own agendas.. It's good to know where you're standing, a bit..

Jimsie

I am in exactly the same situation right now. I want to leave my job due to the stress of it and the fact that its not the work I want. I feel like it would be so awkward sending the resignation letter and waiting for some kind of response and will people treat me different knowing that I will be leaving in a few weeks etc. It's probably not such a big deal. It would be easier to find another job first but sometimes its not possible.