I have a really bad memory :(

Hero

Hi. I'm not sure if this is a social anxiety-related question or not. I just would really like some advice or to know if I'm not alone.

I have a really bad memory. I find it hard to focus on anything, my mind gets sidetracked and distracted very easily.
For example, I watched the movie Ted the other day. I know that is what about a talking teddy bear, and I remember a scene involving Flash Gordon, but I wouldn't be able to tell you any of the jokes, funny quotes, character names or other funny scenes. I also find it hard to remember song lyrics, daily events or interactions I had with people. When I try to think my mind is completely blank.

Most conversations I find talk about past stories, and I find it impossible to add my own as I simply cannot find the detail to express my stories. I would love to remember some facts, stories or jokes to tell people... it would help my improvable conversation skills.

What can I do? please help..

Section_31

im very scatterbrained myself and its gotten me in alot of trouble at work before. Ill forget details or things people told me.

The only solution ive found is to postit note everything. :/

Your not alone with this!

mikebird

Banned
Can you tell if its long term memories... age 3 events as you grow up
I remember everything from then to now
few things get forgotten along the way

My worst is when I have a thought which I lose within a few seconds of 'what was I going to do?'
Just a word from the dictionary I wanted to use; giving a few minutes, I'll always remember. I tell people... 'wait! bear with me! I'll remember, before you go' and as we speak about other stuff, I say 'there it is!! Saint Tropez!'

I've had years of inpatient epilepsy seizures. It's a personal mind blank - reboot - coma to rehab. After each I'm absolutely fine, and never forget my oldest memories.

Last edited:

cosmosis

I can totally relate. It's strange because my first memories of life come in around 10. I don't really remember anything before that. It's not that I have a faulty brain or memory by itself since I did really well at school if I NEEDED to remember. The problem is if there's something I don't need to remember, it leaves my brain. I hardly remember what I watched, what the movie was about, what I did yesterday, what my teachers names were, what classes they were...things other people remember so well. My theory is that my brain is focused in a different way. I remember emotions, deeper thoughts and fears, but hardly ever any facts - which seems to be the opposite of most people.

mikebird

Banned
Remembering movies are different.

Each time I get to re-watch, after 10 or 20 years, cos it's on TV or a friend shows it to me, all I remember is the outcome, or general theme. I usually know which ones I liked the most, or remembered it's not worth another go.

It's good to see again, because I forgot all the openings, and it's nice that it seems fresh - a reminder

A Many Splendored Thing

The run down of my memory process:

I decide to go get something, get up, and walk into the other room. Then think to myself: "What was I going to get again?"

I'll sometimes have to give up because I totally forgot what I was going to do.

If I really focus, I can usually bring up lots of details, but that doesn't happen in public. Names are difficult for me to remember, in fact, I just ran into my high school teacher today, and I can't even recall his name; it's only been about a year and a half since I was in his class.

I could probably tell you all about the season premiere Doctor Who episode though; it's like a video in my mind atm.
---
You can't let your mind idle or you have a hard time remembering. I think what really helps me remember that episode is because I try to figure out what the Doctor is thinking.

Without focus and purpose, your brain doesn't need to remember anything, so it does just that. We only remember the important things, besides the select few that remember everything.

And training the mind is just like training the body, slow and steady. You have to figure out what helps you remember better. Repetition is always helpful to remember certain things, but you also have to think outside of the box every now and then so your brain doesn't fall into a rut(much like muscle training).

I was going to post something in this thread but I've forgotten what it was.

Badoom Tish
^Well someone had to post this!
smiley-laughing024.gif

Kat

My memories not the best it seems to improve a little when I exercise. There’s probably certain foods you can eat that may help as well.

I find my memory is not as good whenever I am taking antidepressants. Are you taking antidepressants?
I can remember things from my distant past ok, but I have trouble recollecting things from the past few years.

1BlackSheep

The run down of my memory process:

I decide to go get something, get up, and walk into the other room. Then think to myself: "What was I going to get again?"
I do this a lot too! :eek:

I think part of my memory problems is due to having low thyroid. I never used to have memory problems before.

Either that, or I'm just getting old! ::p:

montejocarlo

i don't have a good memory either. this is especially true when i have been sleep-deprived. i find it helpful to take notes.

Gaucho

hi, i relate to you very well. it makes me angry, because i have deep in my mind that its not able to be successful without being smart.