I hate facebook

Lea

Banned
God you just take it too seriously. I have nothing in my profile either and 4 friends (2 of them familymembers), but don´t know why it should cause me so much stress. Do it if you enjoy it, if you don´t there is no point to have facebook account.

It just suits certain types o people (more likely if they tend to be sociable and find it hard to be alone even when they´re at home, it kind of makes life easier for them). Remember extraverts are different, they need as much people as possible in order to relax, introverts need solitude. There is no point hating Facebook just because it doesn´t suit our type.

dpr

I'm sure there have been threads about this before, but I hate it so much I thought I'd start a new one :)
It's like facebook confirms to me, the world and his wife how socially behind I am to everyone else my own age. I mean, I can't even log into it without cringing at my profile picture and lack of friends.

You know what, though? The reason why social networking sites are so popular is because they enable people to make it look like they have a great life, even if their lives are sad and pathetic.

All those people you envy may not have the great lives you think they do. I mean, if they did, why would they spend so much time on Facebook in the first place?

You can go out to a bar or a house party one night, take 2000 pictures of yourself with different friends, and then upload them to your account. You can also join the Facebook group from your elementary school, add a million people you don't know as "friends," and usually they'll add you back since you went to their school (which then gives everyone else the illusion that you have a lot of friends).

When I was in university, this girl in my class said she missed a lesson and asked if I had the notes for it. I did, so she gave me her email and I emailed them to her. The same day, I noticed she had saved my email and used it to search for me on Facebook and had added me as a friend.

I sent her a message on Facebook, something like, "Hey, how's the studying going?" or something. She never responded.

I think some people's desire to have 400 "facebook" friends stems from the fact that they have no "real" friends. They don't even want to talk to you online, they just want to add you so they'll look cool to everyone else.

Last edited:

Errordotocx

Can't say I ever liked Facebook. I thought it was rather lame. Now Myspace is different because I look at it from a web designing point of view. I like to connect with people as much as possible as well, but the main thing that drew me to Myspace was the customization. I designed my profile to be as professional and cool looking as possible. Now i'm no pro status web designer and things could look better here and there but I love my overall layout. It's better than nearly 99% of the rest of the population. IMO of course.

I look at this with a totally different prospective I suppose lol.

recluse

I was on facebook for a few months but it's too f##ed up so i quit. I had people from my school days adding me as a ''friend'' even though in school they treated me like dirt. It's like a competition to see who has the most ''friends''..Let me tell you something; Most of the people they have on their list are not true friends, they probably don't even see them in person anyway. I believe in quality and not quantity, and having a huge list of so called friends does not mean that they are somehow cooler.

Havocan

I'm just in there every now and then when I'm bored. I no longer read the mini-feed as I pretty much don't care what others are doing to satisfy their gargantuan needs for seeming popular. Sometimes someone posts some amusing videos from Youtube that can be worth checking out, though^^.

wibbze2

Facebook is designed for people who assume that the whole world is interested in the most mundane aspects of their lives and that we are all desparate to know what that person had for breakfast and what they think about the latest episode of Hollyoaks.

I have reached the age of 37 and can count the number of real friends on one hand and not one of them is one of my facebook friends. I can say that without an ounce of embarrassment as I know for a fact that most people would say the same thing - real friends are the ones you can call upon to help you out whenever you need them, not people who find it necessary to write a comment every time you decide to post a picture of yourself with a stupid hat on.

I'm sure that Facebook has its uses but it's really not an accurate reflection of real relationships and not worth getting worked up about

I think that in addition to avoiding Facebook/MySpace because I don't want people to think I'm a loser, another reason is that potential employers can look up these things on you, and in this environment, it's tough enough to find a job without worrying about your "internet" image.

Chrysalis

Exactly why I don't have an account - not enough 'friends', nor do I do enough interesting stuff to write about (or any wild nights out :p) - also I'm a very private person so am worried about security etc.

I like it on these Forums however - mingling with people in similar situations and we usually have alot in common (and we don't have to be embarrassed for sharing our stories, no matter how negative they may be).

I agree - Facebook and MySpace are becoming more like Popularity Contests or He / She with the most 'friends' wins - they're not all their real friends.

I count real friends as one who will be there at your door when you need them without any questions asked - they're very rare to come by though.

Good topic by the way

:)

thor01

Exactly why I don't have an account - not enough 'friends', nor do I do enough interesting stuff to write about (or any wild nights out :p) - also I'm a very private person so am worried about security etc.

I like it on these Forums however - mingling with people in similar situations and we usually have alot in common (and we don't have to be embarrassed for sharing our stories, no matter how negative they may be).

I agree - Facebook and MySpace are becoming more like Popularity Contests or He / She with the most 'friends' wins - they're not all their real friends.

I count real friends as one who will be there at your door when you need them without any questions asked - they're very rare to come by though.

Good topic by the way:)

I agree exactly.
Ive never joined, and dont plan on doing so.

Riiya

Yes, they're nonexistent in my life.

I have one "friend" (more like someone I exchanged five sentences with - though we oddly talk more now that we don't see each other regularly) who keeps bugging me to get a facebook. I did get one, but I got so paranoid I ended up making everything private. In fact, the only people who can search me on facebook have to be my friends to begin with. I don't know how that works exactly, but apparently that's possible.

Ah, well.

Nack

Banned
Funny thing, just right now i checked my email and my friend just added me to face book. The thing is that i didn't even know that i have a facebook lol. I just realized that i made an account a while back when one of my school pal added me. I don't even touch it, you wanna know how many friends i got on facebook? 2

Chrysalis

I don't think everyone fits the cookie cutter mould of what society would like us all to be, so when these new networks or IMs emerge, shy and anxious people will feel weird about it.

I just steer clear.

Should we create our own "Anti-Facebook Anonymous"......or would that in doing so create the opposite effect?

:p

dpr

Facebook is designed for people who assume that the whole world is interested in the most mundane aspects of their lives and that we are all desparate to know what that person had for breakfast and what they think about the latest episode of Hollyoaks.

So true! It's kind of sad to see them begging for attention by changing their "third person status" ten times a day in hopes that someone will talk to them.

I have seen many of my "friends'" status lines which read something like: "Jason is really excited about tomorrow!"

So like, it's my cue to message him and ask: "What is going on tomorrow Jason? I'm just DYING to know!"

Or like... "Melissa is sick of men."

(Cue me to message her with: "What happened, Melissa? Are you okay?")

The whole neo-conservatist network is so undeniably lame. My brother deleted his account out of disgust lol... I still keep mine so that I can keep in touch with my students (since most of them live, sleep and breathe Facebook), but yeah... it's best in small doses.

What disturbs me more than the network itself though, is the people and the agenda behind it all.

Read here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/14/facebook

Long read, but very interesting in a scary kind of way.

Last edited:

lime

There sounds like a lot of bitterness in this thread.

Whilst I agree that there are people who seem a bit too concerned with their 'friends count', or having as many pictures of them as possible having an 'amazing' time.. the whole idea behind it is still amazing.
Having a simple to use, single point to consolidate your friends, networks etc. If you lose someone's number you can look it up, it reminds you people's birthdays, its so easy to stay connected with people.

Sure people are shallow, but there's no need to hold resentment against them because you'd be resenting pretty much every human being.

TheLoneWolf

I used to like facebook. Now it has become too commercialized like myspace. I'd get excited when i see a notification or an inbox message, only to find out its an ad for some stupid event or gig. The worst recently has been the compare people. I get things like. "you lost to someone in, 'who would be a better father'" Why would they tell you something like that if you lost? What a horrible thing to say

madmike

I have a facebook with hundreds of friends and i use it every day... but never do anything on it :p I'll occasionally play one of the games when a 'friend' invites me or chat to the only two people i ever chat to, but apart from that it's pointless. It's not that special, you shouldn't take it too seriously or be pressurized to go on it...