I had botox in my hands 2 weeks ago

DesertFox

Hi everyone, I just registered, I’m a lurker but I’ve never posted.
A brief introduction, I’m a 23 year old girl from Australia.
I suffer from severe palmar and plantar ( hands and feet) hyperhidrosis.
2 weeks ago today I had 100 injections of botox injected in my hands, Palms only.
My doctors organised a plan for me so I wasn’t required to pay, this was a one off so that if it was successful I could save up for next time.
I went to this doctor and they put numbing cream on my hands for about an hour.
My doctor said it would take about 2 minutes each hand with 100 injections in each palm.
Because it was painful and I asked her to stop so many times it took about 15 minutes.
It was very painful but not to the point where I needed to cry or anything, and at the time I felt it was well worth it and if it worked I wouldn’t hesitate to repeat it each year.
My hands bled a bit and my doctor said I have the most blood vessels in someone’s hand she had ever seen. After the procedure my hands were a shade of blue and purple and this indicated where my blood vessels were. My hands remained bruised for 3 days and each individual needle prick was visible as well. My hands had a annoying sensation like I had fallen over on cement, that annoying tingling feeling.
My doctor said it would last between 9 to 12 months and hands were her specialty and just the week before had performed it on a 13 year old girl, but it was clear hers was not as severe as mine. So my hopes were pretty high. I was told that I would see results between 4 to 7 days.
At around day 5 my palms were 100% dry, and it made my fingers look 10 times worse. I was so happy in this time, I was showing my close friends and family constantly, I checked my hands many times a day because I just couldn’t believe it. Even though we only did my palms I felt more confident. I didn’t have to have my car air-conditioning on the highest setting to prevent sweat dripping down my arms. I didn’t have to carry a towel around the house.
At about day 12 I started noticing my palms getting damp again, I dismissed it as sweat that had dripped down from my fingers, but it’s become more obvious that I’m slowly starting to sweat more and more again.
Today, day 14, I went to my doctor and she did a test to see if my sweat glands had stopped working. She put something that looked like white flour on my hands and the had me tip my hands over to remove the flour. I then turned my hands back over to reveal black flour. The black flour indicates where the sweat glands are still present in your hands. Half of my right hand had patches of black and 30 % of my left palm had black patches. I was devastated. My doctors have decided that we will not go forward with putting Botox in my fingers as probably by next week my hands will be at full sweating capacity again.
I’ve been pretty upset all day crying and such. I don’t want to talk to anyone but I felt like posting on here and just getting it all out. I’m studying at the moment so I can enter the Police academy but I thought I could have my hands sorted by then. It looks like I might never get to do my dream job. I was so excited about the thought of dating guys and letting people get close to me. I was excited about being able to high five people. Excited about not carrying a towel around…
I just wanted to share my Botox experience, maybe save some people spending money. My doctor said (if it worked) it would cost me $2000 a year to have Botox in my palms and fingers. Which I would have found a way to pay (if it worked). I think my hands are just too damn sweaty. I would only encourage people with mild sweating in the hands to get it done.
So I think that’s it, post some questions or whatever if you like and I’ll keep an eye on this thread.
I have some amazing determined doctors so I will keep you updated.
Candice

MikeyC

Hello, Candice, fellow Australian.

I don't have much to reply with, as I don't suffer from hyperhidrosis, but it sounds like the botox did work to an extent. Maybe if you persisted with it, it might work more next time.

Why would that stop you getting in the Police force? By the way, I work at my local Police station (as a cleaner, haha). Where are you planning to go, if you don't mind me asking?

Again, welcome.

DesertFox

@MikeyC wow you're a fast reader. I have found it quite hard for others to understand how much it affects things without having it themselves, no offence. Having hands that are sweaty to the point where it drips hinders me from doing simple things like write on paper, I cannot write on paper without it tearing when i write because the paper gets wet. It leaves marks on my clothes when i wipe them, and makes everyone around me think I am nervous and I appear nervous and not confident because I have to hide them. I am situated on the Gold Coast so I would hopefully get stationed in this area. Where abouts are you, thats cool that your work there haha, I bet you see/hear some interesting things. Ever thought about joining them?

Thankyou for the warm welcome :)

Blabla..

Hi and welcome ,

sad to hear that it didn't work , but don't let this stop you from living your life fully , don't stop dating , if guys are not interested in you because of this , they definitely have no good in them , so don't be afraid to be yourself , stay confident , and try for that job !

DesertFox

100 in each hand! I just had to mention because I felt totally brave hahaha!
It's so good to hear about the great relationship you have with your partner :)
My friends are very understanding. I just find that guys and girls my age get intimate real quickly and I'm not like that at all, I kinda feel like I'm getting left behind ya know?

Thanks for your reply

DesertFox

I will be going back to my doctors in the next 2 weeks, I have 3 different doctors working on it, no charge so I feel very lucky. I think i will mention the machine thing Ion something haha I can't say or write it, or maybe some oral medications. I just had a bad day with other things going on as well so I still have hope but because today was so awful it's made everything so much worse at the moment.

Uncharted

Don't loose hope! You should try iontophoresis device! If you do it right I almost sure it will work for your condition. The other methods are meds Ditropan, Avert or Robinul

ukchick

Candice
You sound so positive ,good for you. People just don't realise how this awful thing changes you as a person.I'm a mum to a daughter who gets so depressed about her hand sweating. My hands used to drip when I was her age (14) and I begged my parents to let me have the surgery,which I had but would never let my daughter have it due to the massive increase of sweating I have now.So currently my daughter has been using the iontopherisis machine for 4 months on her hands,sadly she's had no improvement with her sweating but reading about positive people like yourself, it helps me to keep her motivating and push her to persist with it.
Have you tried the iontopherisis machine? I know here in the Uk we would be offered treatments at our local hospital but I was so sure it'd work,I used savings to buy one. Saying that,it has completely controlled my feet sweating-I only use it once every 2 weeks and they are dry.
The best of luck with what you try next and I will encourage my daughter to read your post just so it confirms again that there are other people suffering like her. Michelle x

DesertFox

@ Uncharted, I will definitely try everything that I can ~ Thankyou.

@ Michelle, your post made me SMILE big! I heard this condition was passed down but no one in my family has anything similar. It's so awesome that you can relate to your daughter though and help her through it. Sometimes, especially when i was younger my mum didn't understand how much it affected things, my schooling etc.
I'm very sorry that the surgery didn't work for you. I promise that i will not get it done! When i get down, it helps me to think that I am lucky that I have good friends and family and things could be worse then being a bit sweaty... so she should definitely keep that in mind. Thankyou for your encouragement and sharing your story :)

MikeyC

@MikeyC wow you're a fast reader. I have found it quite hard for others to understand how much it affects things without having it themselves, no offence. Having hands that are sweaty to the point where it drips hinders me from doing simple things like write on paper, I cannot write on paper without it tearing when i write because the paper gets wet. It leaves marks on my clothes when i wipe them, and makes everyone around me think I am nervous and I appear nervous and not confident because I have to hide them. I am situated on the Gold Coast so I would hopefully get stationed in this area. Where abouts are you, thats cool that your work there haha, I bet you see/hear some interesting things. Ever thought about joining them?

Thankyou for the warm welcome :)
Sorry for the late reply.

No offense taken. I do get clammy hands in the heat, but nothing to the point of them dripping, however I can imagine how awful that'd be.

I am situated on the NSW South Coast (Lake Illawarra Police Station is where I work). I do get to see and hear cool things, and that's one of the perks of my job. I did consider joining them in the past but I could never do it. I don't have a thick enough skin to handle it.

You're very welcome.

HH

Sorry to hear the botox didn't work for you DesertFox. I suffer from hyperhidrosis myself on the hands and have been using a Iontophoresis machine for a few years now to keep it under control.

If you haven't tried Iontophoresis then you should really give it a go, it may take a few weeks/months before you see results but it may reduce the sweating by quite a bit (I'm not going to get your hopes up and say it's going to stop it completely....it might do though : )

I know how suffering from this condition can make doing simple things an absolute nightmare and cause all sorts of mental and physical problems, only people who suffer from it can truly understand what a disabilitating condition it is (it screwed with my head more than anything ::(: )

Good luck

N0D

Banned
botox? my entire brain memory file for botox just says how it's something usually used by cute girls to make themselves look ugly. (unless you have severe burns over most you're body) I won't talk to anyone who's had plstic surgery.

DesertFox

botox? my entire brain memory file for botox just says how it's something usually used by cute girls to make themselves look ugly. (unless you have severe burns over most you're body) I won't talk to anyone who's had plstic surgery.

Too bad you posted and I had to read your rubbish.

ukchick

Troubled- can you tell me the routine and level you used on the iontopherisis machine to get to where you are now with your sweating,please.
Thanks
Michelle

husky337

Hey DesertFox,

You'll find this forum to be a great place to be an outlet for us with HH. I am 22 years old in the states and also have severe HH in my hands, feet, and armpits. While my family does understand and has done everything to try and help me with this problem, sometimes I realize it is really hard for them to fully understand what we have to deal with 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There are weeks when I am really down about it and want to get surgery regardless of how bad the CS is elsewhere, and there are other weeks when I try and stay positive and realize that a lot of people have it worse than we do. Lately I've been sort of down about it because of my fear of intimate, sober, relationships with women (as we all know alcohol suppresses our HH past a certain point of drinking) and working a job because of our society's reliance on handshakes and being social.

Robinul (Glycopyrrolate) has helped me a bit. I would say that before this medicine, I would sweat from my hands feet and armpits nearly every waking minute of every day. That has been reduced by my guess is 60% where there are many times in controlled environments where I am completely dry, but that is when I am relaxed and in an AC'd environment after taking the medicine 2 hours before my breakfast. I take 4mg. I highly suggest you look into that medicine, as I live in a hot climate in Texas too. I have tried all the anti-perspirants, and even bought an Idromed 5 PS ionto machine and neither of them worked. I did the ionto machine following every suggestion and it just wouldn't work for me.

My dermatologist has not been happy with me though because she wanted me to only take 2mg at a time, not 4mg. Not sure why, as I have not found any studies regarding ingestion of glyco but obviously if I don't need it I shouldn't take it. But I do need the 4mg daily, and will have to take it for a very long time unless there is another solution that comes in the future. Because I am in law school and the relationships that need to be cultivated and maintained, HH is a huge problem for me, especially having to wear long-sleeves and slacks all the time if not a full suit. So I have been desperate for a solution, and I have been looking into the Mayo Clinic's sympaTHOTOMY, different from ETS surgery. I have personally spoken with the surgeon Dr. Atkinson who is a fantastic, honest, non-pressure guy and the CS results from him have been only minor sweating in the back and chest with completely paper dry hands and some reduced sweating potentially in the face and armpits. You can find more info googling it, but it seems promissing. I also spoke with 2 people who had the procedure done and 3+ years later they told me that they have been given a second chance at life and can't believe the dryness they permanently have. So it's tough, I'm 50/50 and still am taking time to talk it over with my family. the sympathotomy just disconnects the connection between some of the Tcluster nerves if I am not mistaken, while ETS removes the nerve itself through clamping or burning.

DesertFox

@Husky

It really is a relief to have people to talk to about this.
I will mention Robinul to my doctors when I see them next, but I already take medication for another thing so I'm not sure if there might be some interaction there.

Haha I totally get the sober relationship thing, I told my doctor that I stop sweating when I'm drunk, they thought it was a bit weird, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Thanks for the extra info :)

hyperxtechie

I can feel what you're going through. Botox worked for me for only a few weeks also. My palmer hyperhidrosis was severe too, the botox Dr. at the time said that I was the most severe patient. But like what everyone says, you got to start thinking the opposite and not let the condition run your life and prevent you from doing the things you want to do. Robinul worked for me but only on a completely empty stomach! I would have to starve myself throughout the day for it to work. Here was my thread about it: http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/question-to-robinul-users-26807/

It is different for everyone, but I hope it works for you! And like I said, keep doing you! Don't let HH bring you down!