I get these random habits when I'm in public...

HeadFace

Whenever I'm outside, in public, I really get these random habits in public.
The two main ones are putting my hands in my pockets or checking my phone incessantly.
But I randomy do other things like today I was scratching my check randomly.
Past ones were biting my finger nails, moving my smile/mouth around, doing random things with my fingers, biting my lips, scratching my forehead/face, etc...
It isnt much of a problem, as far as I can see. But I notice it whenever I leave my house. It seems like I pair going outside with these actions.
Could it be a bad habit?
Do you do this?

upndwn

I have a tendency to scratch my nose, fiddle with my beard and hair and checking my cellphone every five minutes. I also have restless leg syndrome. But most people I know have some sort of quirk and strange habits so I don't think it is anything to worry about.

HeadFace

Oh okay, and yeah I have something similiar to restless leg syndrome except to an extreme. In class I ****ing SHAKE man, not just my leg, I mean I litterally cannot sit still. I don't know if it has a name (ADD? Lol) but that's me!

Anyway yeah, I guess so. But it's basically every time I'm around people/a general crowd.

upndwn

Oh okay, and yeah I have something similiar to restless leg syndrome except to an extreme. In class I ****ing SHAKE man, not just my leg, I mean I litterally cannot sit still. I don't know if it has a name (ADD? Lol) but that's me!

Anyway yeah, I guess so. But it's basically every time I'm around people/a general crowd.

When my SA was at it's worst I could suddenly start to shake uncontrollably, starting with the hands, then moving downwards on the body. This especially happened when I had to go to some social event or talked to strangers. I also had a tendency to stutter a lot. In the worst cases I felt I totally lost control of myself and literally ran out in panic to others utter confusion.

HeadFace

When my SA was at it's worst I could suddenly start to shake uncontrollably, starting with the hands, then moving downwards on the body. This especially happened when I had to go to some social event or talked to strangers. I also had a tendency to stutter a lot. In the worst cases I felt I totally lost control of myself and literally ran out in panic to others utter confusion.
Thats like in class (actually it's mostly when I'm sitting anywhere and I start getting bored/anxious/nervous). It starts with my leg, starts getting worse, and then my shoulders, until I realize what I'm doing and stop myself. I've been trying to control it a bit more. Actually, I found that if I tap only my toes or foot to a song playing in my head, it helps a lot. Of course it looks like I'm not paying attention when I do it when I'm with a group of people, but it helps me stop shaking.
Anyway, I stutter at random times. It's not a speech problem, I think... But when I'm not exactly comfortable with someone, I try to talk faster or seem friendly or something, and stutter over dumb stuff.
Also sometimes mixing complete opposites though, like instead of saying
"How are you cold? It's so hot"
I mixed up hot and cold... Of course, that is just a small example. I cant think of much else right now since I havent really socialized in a while.

ridicule

Hmm, whenever I think I could be seen, for some reason I feel really self-conscious about just walking... have you concentrated on walking? But when I'm walking and I know no one can see me (late at night), then it's fine

Phoenixx

I get annoying habits too, not so much if I'm in public as it is just being nervous, no matter where I am. I tend to tighten my mouth, and most of the time I don't even realize I'm doing it until my jaw starts hurting. Then I come across looking like I'm either bored or angry. >.> I'll also start crossing/folding my arms (And then realize that's bad body language, so I repeatedly stop, then do it again), checking my phone, looking around, and sometimes biting my nails.

CrzyDrmr

HeadFace,
Me too! I always catch myself when I'm in public biting my bottom lip, hands in pockets, sighing, shifting my lips left to right, and of course, looking at my phone! I guess I feel like I have to keep doing those things to avoid looking too dismal or blank. If I just acted as I do when I'm at home, I'd probably look seriously messed up. :rolleyes:

MaliceInWickedland

I have so many random habits when I'm in public it's not even funny. Sticking my hands in my pockets and checking my phone are my two biggest habits. I don't know why but I feel more comfortable walking around with my hands in my pockets. It makes me feel less tense as I walk for some reason. Duly noted that the initial reason why I hate the summer so much is because I have to wear lighter clothes that lack pockets and then I have nowhere to stick my hands and it makes me really self-conscious about whether or not my arms are swinging normally and if I look tense as a result. Winter's my favorite season because I can always wear a jacket and put my hands in my pockets and not have to worry about looking like a walking plank in public ::p:

If I don't have anywhere to stick my hands, I cross my arms when I walk like Phoenixx said. I'll do it for a while until I get self-conscious, thinking that people think I'm pissed off or something. The fact that my jaw tightens doesn't help lighten my demeanor either. My face gets so tense in public, its ridiculous.

I also pretend I'm texting someone or randomly checking my phone whenever I feel awkward around people. I used to bite my nails too before but I don't do that anymore. Instead I bite my lower lip or purse my lips together as a weak attempt to lighten up my tense looking face. Although I developed a worse habit when I was younger up until now where I bite or pick at the skin on the sides of my fingers whenever I get nervous, sometimes picking off skin until it bleeds. It looks terrible but I can't stop doing it no matter how hard I try.

My legs have a bit of a jiggling problem too. Like if I'm sitting in a crowded area or someone attractive sits near me, I'll start subconsciously jiggling my legs. Not on an extreme level but it keeps picking up pace depending on how nervous I am and it gets to be kind of noticeable.

I've also noticed that my body temperature changes dramatically when I'm anxious. Like if its a hot day I'll feel cold (my hands and feet are always cold regardless) and if its cold I feel warmer. Only when I'm anxious though.

Some other quirks I have when I get anxious are playing with my hair or fixing it relentlessly, sighing, watching my feet as I walk, and shuffling my feet when I'm sitting. Wow, so yeah.. I wasn't kidding when I said I had a ridiculous amount of anxiety quirks ::p:

Last edited:

Dr. Doom

Oh yeah, nervous tics, no stranger to those. In public when I'm standing I have to be touching something, fiddling with something like a pen or my phone. I'm constantly cracking my fingers. Even when my hands are in my pockets I am messing with whatever is in them. When I'm sitting, I don't know what to do with my arms because they are moving, my legs I just shake or tap or whatever. Biting my lip, contorting my mouth in a weird fashion. Touching my face, touching my arm.

snowcream

I remember back in school when we had assembly in the morning; everyones all chatty until the teacher arrives to talk on stage; then suddenly the place goes all quiet (I'm at my worst when theres awkward silences) I would be fine for a while then all of a sudden I would get these twitches, I just scratched my head or put my hair behind my ears to distract whoever was sitting next to me; then my hands would start shaking and I would be all figgity.
Now I have a new habit; just play with my phone and pretend I'm busy when I feel uncomfortable around people=D

Luka

Whenever I'm outside, in public, I really get these random habits in public.
The two main ones are putting my hands in my pockets or checking my phone incessantly.
But I randomy do other things like today I was scratching my check randomly.
Past ones were biting my finger nails, moving my smile/mouth around, doing random things with my fingers, biting my lips, scratching my forehead/face, etc...
It isnt much of a problem, as far as I can see. But I notice it whenever I leave my house. It seems like I pair going outside with these actions.
Could it be a bad habit?
Do you do this?

I am just like that, I check my phone though I know I've recieved no texts. I chew my finger nails and cuticles non-stop, fiddle with my hair, look down at the ground and I get very twitchy especially when I'm talking to someone I start to scratch the back of my neck uncomfortably.

MrJones

If I can I have my headphones on, this makes me less self-conscious of the situation... but if I can't, usually I do weird stuff with my mouth (lips movement/biting, sighing, etc), hands movement (never know what to do with them lol), sometimes even the legs (a little shaking).

In general, a reeeally weird anxious dance.

rbecca

I 'scratch' my forehead/face sometimes too, and check my phone just because.. and it's not like there's anything interested on it since it's 4 years old, except when i get text messages..
I also bite my lip sometimes,or play with my snakebites.
When i'm very nervous,i bite the flesh around my fingers,not until it bleeds or so,just the top skin of it >.<
you can only do something about it when you think of it at that moment,but usually it happens automatically :p
When i think of it at the moment, i'm like; what am i doing |: *stops* but in a bit it happens again.