I feel retarded

recluse

I can't do maths! Well i can but not quickly in my head. For example when i am paying for something i can't work out quickly in my mind how much change i should be given. I think this is one thing which is holding me back from applying for jobs as a cashier and the such. Every job almost, requires the applicant to be numerate.

market.garden

Ohh man I know what you mean. I suck at maths big time. It makes my head hurt just thinking about it. There are plenty of jobs out there that don't necessarily require maths. I used to work in a shop on the tills all day and I never had problems, and in the rare event that I did, I just used a calculator.

I'm kinda proud of the fact that I'm not good at maths :D My Dad always told me I would need it in life but aside from coming unstuck in the occasional pub quiz when a maths question comes up, it doesn't bother me. **** mathematics!

klytus

Mental calculation is not 'mathematics'. That is a wrong popular belief. Arithmetic operations (like addition, multiplication) are only a very small part of what constitutes modern 'mathematics'. So, don't say you 'suck' at 'maths', because you likely don't know what you are talking about.

And it's wrong, too, to think you can't do mental calculation. The ability to compute sequences of arithmetic operations with large-ish numbers fast mentally can be learned. It is all a matter of exercise and exposure.

In general, the exposure and the exercise allow you - with time passing - to memorize lots of triples of numbers and the operation that you associate them with. (Like (1, 4, 5) and (+).) Then there are simple algebraic tricks that will allow you to make that very sparse list of numbers denser. You basically get new triples for free by applying those tricks. Say, the square of 13. You don't know it, but you know the square of 12. 13^2 = (12+1)^2 = 144 + 24 + 1 = 169. That was faster than calculating 13^2 "manually", because I basically looked up the components of 13^2, that is 12^2, 2*12, 1^2, mentally which happened almost instantaneously. There are more of those so-called 'identities' - or, for our purposes 'tricks' - to help you.

It really depends on how much time you are willing to devote to practicing mental calculation.

I'm kinda proud of the fact that I'm not good at maths My Dad always told me I would need it in life but aside from coming unstuck in the occasional pub quiz when a maths question comes up, it doesn't bother me. **** mathematics!
How would you feel if someone made openly fun of what you love and exclaimed that it was to be ****ed?

Last edited:

xlisax

Everyone is good at different things, so honestly Im sure there is something you are really good at that other people think they are rubbish at!
To the it stopping you getting a job as a cashier, in all the interviews I went to there was only one that had a 'test' which was for Laura Ashley. Last year I worked at Clinton cards and the till did everything so I just used to have to look at the screen. If I was ever stuck there was a calculator I could use.

klytus

Everyone is good at different things
The concept of 'talent' is an invention of the Western society - or a general coping technique for dealing with laziness. "I am simply not meant to do <whatever>! I am not as talented as <whoever> is! Why should I make the effort?". Everyone is good at whatever that person wants to be good at and is willing to invest much time and work in.

BlauweEngel

I am an Electrical Engineer and I taught Differential Equations and Calculus in university. And we have a saying "the higher level you are in your mathematics education the less you are able to do mental calculations". Hell, i am even beginning to forget some of the calculus mathematics because i got used to using mathematical tools so much.

In conclusion, doing quick arithmetic in your head is not really that useful.
I mean even as a cashier you use a calculator for everything right? So I wouldn't sell yourself short on anything in mathematics yet, in my experience understanding concepts (in mathematics and everything else) is the highest priority.

WelshOne

All about practice. I can't do sums in my head QUICKLY, but I can do them (even fairly complex ones) given enough time.

As for 13^2, I tend to tackle those differently. 13x10 + 13x3 = 130 + 39 = 169. Not saying that way is better, just a different approach. Lots of ways to break sums down into easier chunks.

recluse

I never learnt my x tables, instead in primary school when we had a weekly test i would write them on the palm of my hand! One teacher i had was a nasty piece of work and he would ridicule anyone who was poor at mathematics including me, i don't know how he was allowed to be a teacher because he really was a nasty tyrant!

Flowers-Of-Bloom

I devote myself to other things, so naturally I'm not top-notch when it comes to, even simple, arithmetic. I don't feel retarded or limited. It's just not my field of work.

Reiji Moritsugu

Well, there must be something else that you are good at...and in such case you shouldn´t worry so much about maths as there you will always have other options
out there :)

I understand how you feel because I suck big time when it comes to numbers...
but I´m rather used to it because actually I suck at pretty much everything, so if it
helps you even a little bit things could be a lot worse.

See you around :)

mmmm

Ah, Recluse my friend. Please be so so careful what you wish for. I am okay at mental maths and I ended up being a cashier for a while. It's not a job I would wish on my worst enemy. Especially if you have SA.

Sinar_Matahari

I can't do maths! Well i can but not quickly in my head. For example when i am paying for something i can't work out quickly in my mind how much change i should be given. I think this is one thing which is holding me back from applying for jobs as a cashier and the such. Every job almost, requires the applicant to be numerate.

Don't feel like a retard for not being great at math because then I'll have to feel like a retard for sucking at math too. lol

Sucking at math is one of the reasons why I've felt like a complete retard in the past. You'd be surprised that once you got the hang of working with money on a register it'll be like second nature. I used to have a hard time with it but then I got used to it and was able to do the math in my head. The more you engage your brain in mathematics the better you will become at it.

I do suck at math in general though. Not the regular arithmetic, trig, algebra, geometry. I was studying for my ASVAB and as much as I could understand the section on fractions, I just couldn't keep it in my head worth a damn. I had to do it over four times and I still can't remember it, but I'm just going to be stubborn and do it again and again until I get it! I've never been good at retaining information plus I'm a hands on learner as opposed to an audio learner. I'd give anything to have have rain man's memory! lol

But they're only numbers and they can't outsmart you. Thanks for posting this. You've made me want to try those godforsaken fractions again. ;)