I feel I've become more annoying.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Before getting medication, I was a more apathetic person. I had hyperactive outburst when I was in a good mood, but I felt apathetic most of the times, which made me come off as calm. When depression got worse, I went from "calm" to completely cold.

Now, after medication, when my mood improved and gained more physical energy, I feel I've become more hyper... in the way I act and in the way I speak also. My hyperactivity (I realize I am) comes together with a loss of attention span I've always had. Put them both together in a combo and you get a mass of all kinds of nonsensical random. This has bugged some people.

For example. I start talking... I become too absorbed, then I probably forget that the other person might want to add a sentence and it becomes a monologue.

Another example. I'm talking with someone about a topic, then I go off topic without realizing it, it can happen many times. I switch from one topic to another in a matter of minutes, suddenly. Then I might go back to the first topic and continue like nothing happens. I know this because it's been pointed out. many, many times. But I never ever realize this until someone tells me to calm down.

I also have no idea when someone is bugged by this. I don't think, nor realize it. I fail to see when someone is bothered, bored, confused... My mind has been programmed only to detect happiness, sadness and serious rage. Any other emotion just... I can't seem to sense it. When I realize things, it's too late. The other person is either bored or demotivated to talk, as I've occupied the whole talking space :1

My loss of attention span and randomized talking style has never been a bother to me, it feels normal. But it's starting to bug others and that's when it might become something to struggle with :kickingmyself:

Is anyone else like this?

Last edited:

Klonoa

Welp, I have some minor ADHD, I become bored REALLY easly when I have to focus and start to wander around in other thoughts, this brought me problems in school, so I guess I understand that loss of attention span. D:

It sounds almost like Asperger's, but I'm no doctor and people are quick to label with stuff like that. Just the whole being unaware of a whole range of reactions/emotions from others.

I know this is causing you trouble, and I hope this doesn't come across wrong, but I almost wish I had that problem (not detecting when other are bored, annoyed, etc.) because I am too hypersensitive to people's reactions.

Regardless, I am like that sometimes with people I am comfortable with, but otherwise, I am too careful with how I talk, although nervousness can sometimes make me babble a little.

If you don't notice until it's too late, is there any way you can just make a conscious effort not to do it, just in case you might annoy someone?

Hellhound

Super Moderator
If you don't notice until it's too late, is there any way you can just make a conscious effort not to do it, just in case you might annoy someone?

I've done that a lot. It only makes me act weirder, which causes more annoyance. I get confused, frustrated and I don't know how to proceed.

MikeyC

Being hyperactive might mean you do find it hard to focus on anything. I guess it takes practice to control the buzz you feel so you can still have a normal conversation. Being active and full of energy is a new feeling for you, since you've spent a lot of your life being silent and cold, so once you get the hang of it, you'll be okay.

I will admit that I have spoken to people who aren't focused and meander off-topic, and it is annoying, because it makes me feel I'm uninteresting and/or not worth their attention.

DepravedFurball

Could this sudden and large shift from one extreme to the other be caused by your meds being too powerful?

I mean, it's great that you're no longer depressed and apathetic, and you can put that boundless energy to good use... but it just sounds to me like your brain is releasing far too many endorphines, where before it didn't release enough.

Richey

Its just a practice thing.

Maybe write down what you could say to bring the other person into conversation. Maybe stop if you feel a bit too long winded with a topic then link their interest into the conversation.

something like that.

If you see it as really important to make sure they are being heard and that its just as important that they have their opportunity then that could help, it has to right?

Picture yourself as a therapist and a good listener, but in a more casual sense.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I will admit that I have spoken to people who aren't focused and meander off-topic, and it is annoying, because it makes me feel I'm uninteresting and/or not worth their attention.

That's the problem, and it's never the case >.<

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Could this sudden and large shift from one extreme to the other be caused by your meds being too powerful?

I mean, it's great that you're no longer depressed and apathetic, and you can put that boundless energy to good use... but it just sounds to me like your brain is releasing far too many endorphines, where before it didn't release enough.

I don't know. I've always had a short attention span. If it's persisted even after the meds, I don't think the depression was the cause.

Oh, and I am still taking a low dose. 10mg.

DepravedFurball

Oh, and I am still taking a low dose. 10mg.

Then your problem is that the people you talk to aren't interesting enough. Clearly, if you're excited about a topic, then they should be too, damnit!

:question:

Well... in a perfect world, anyways. >.<

MikeyC

That's the problem, and it's never the case >.<
Then perhaps just practice is the way to go. The more you talk, and the more you force yourself to listen to them and ask follow-up questions when appropriate, the more you'll train yourself to not be so hyperactive in conversations.

Easier said than done, though, I know.