I don't undestand flirting

MotherWolff

Banned
To go back to the argument from earlier, the reason flirting can be fake is because when people flirt it can often be an act. Let me use an example.

I'm a guy, let's say I tell a really stupid joke that nobody thinks is funny but the woman who is sexually interested in me starts laughing at the bombed joke. That happens many times with flirting, the flirting partner is pretending like the other person is funny so they can win their partner's attention and respect.

I mean, hey, there's nothing wrong with that. It's smart if you ask me. But can flirting be fake....oh yeah. No doubt about it.

Heck, on my last date I put on a little act. I'm guilty of using the flirting act too.

Flirting can be an excellent way of letting your partner know that you are interested in them intimately, whether the flirting is fake or not.

That's so sad how flirting is often an act like you said, OceanMist. Flirting just makes me so sick to my stomach. But is flirting natural? MotherWolff wonders if animals flirt too......

OceanMist

That's so sad how flirting is often an act like you said, OceanMist. Flirting just makes me so sick to my stomach. But is flirting natural? MotherWolff wonders if animals flirt too......

It can be natural, it really depends on the individual and the situation.

Of course, outgoing people tend to have an easier time flirting because talking/flirting comes to them more naturally.

Alcohol always helps with the flirting. :)

I understand how people can not like flirting. The time I hate it when a woman flirts is when she has a b/f and she's just teasing the guy she's flirting with. She's like "haha, I know you want me but you can't have me."

What a tease.

I also don't like how flirting can be in a sense being dishonest. Oh well, it is what it is.

1person

I'm not sure how to flirt properly but I've been told that I have done it a few times. I think I'm too serious at times and I miss those subtle gestures or tones in the voice.
I think it could be learned with enough exposure to it, someone could flirt with you and you could learn the..formula? The only flirting I know are some that sound more sexual or perverse, which seem fake to me.

It can be natural, it really depends on the individual and the situation.

Of course, outgoing people tend to have an easier time flirting because talking/flirting comes to them more naturally.

Alcohol always helps with the flirting. :)

I understand how people can not like flirting. The time I hate it when a woman flirts is when she has a b/f and she's just teasing the guy she's flirting with. She's like "haha, I know you want me but you can't have me."

What a tease.

I also don't like how flirting can be in a sense being dishonest. Oh well, it is what it is.

It depends on the person, alcohol hasn't helped me flirt except maybe to remove the feeling of embarrassment.

In my experience drinking alcohol makes me want to drink more alcohol, it also kills my tone of voice to the point where most people ask to repeat myself many times. I don't mind drinking with friends because we can have somewhat of a conversation but having a drink before talking with strangers is like shooting myself in the foot before doing a marathon.

OceanMist

In my experience drinking alcohol makes me want to drink more alcohol, it also kills my tone of voice to the point where most people ask to repeat myself many times. I don't mind drinking with friends because we can have somewhat of a conversation but having a drink before talking with strangers is like shooting myself in the foot before doing a marathon.

Ok, so it doesn't work for you.

I guess I should have rephrased what I meant. Alcohol can help with flirting.

Flirting can be really tough. It doesn't feel natural to me a lot of the time, even when having had some drinks. Sometimes it does.

Illusions

Hmm, I've never responded well to flirting either. I prefer subtlety, I think, because I'd rather have a guy start a friendly conversation with me.

Labyrinthine

But is flirting natural? MotherWolff wonders if animals flirt too......

Of course. Different animals have different mating rituals.

Personally, I think flirting is more so about body language. The little subtle things (or maybe not so subtle) that a person just naturally does when they are interested. Actions speak louder than words.
On that same note, words I can have a slight issue with, since I like playful banter and it can sometimes be misread. This happens when I don't know the other person is interested though.

MikeyC

On that same note, words I can have a slight issue with, since I like playful banter and it can sometimes be misread. This happens when I don't know the other person is interested though.
Yeah, even playful banter can get me upset, and that is not a good flirting mechanism to use on me.

knowledgeofself

I don't understand the being fake part, do you mean by talking to someone and enjoying it you feel fake because your social anxiety makes it difficult to talk to people and enjoy it?

i'm crap at being able to tell if a girl likes me or is flirting with me. I don't really understand other peoples flirting and cues, and I can't figure out if they are coming onto me or want me to make a move on them or they are just being nice. I just always play the safe option of them being friendly and nothing else because i'd probably die of embarrassment if I got it wrong!

MotherWolff

Banned
The time I hate it when a woman flirts is when she has a b/f and she's just teasing the guy she's flirting with. She's like "haha, I know you want me but you can't have me."

What a tease.

This seems like it could encourage rape even. Its like a woman doing something that stupid can make a guy want to rape her for real. I'll never be that kind of woman.