I don't get it.

kristina303

You guys say you're afraid of talking to people or being around people yet you have jobs and/or go to school. How is that possible?

Amitush123

You guys say you're afraid of talking to people or being around people yet you have jobs and/or go to school. How is that possible?

I focus at the job or the study..I come to work, put my headphones, and give service to the customers...then I go to break, return, continue until end of shift..
I can go like this for days without speaking one word to those around me.

1BlackSheep

Because we have bills to pay - lol. ::p:

I have a job which does actually require a lot of talking to people in person. I'm fine with talking to total strangers, but it's dealing with co-workers who I have to get to know on a deeper level that's tough for me. Some I'm comfortable with, but others cause me anxiety on a regular basis! It's all those questions about what I did over the weekend or on my day off that make me uncomfortable, because the people who ask are mostly very social types. It's not easy, that's for sure. ::eek::

Amitush123

What do you do? You give service to the customers so you're talking to them aren't you?

Because we have bills to pay - lol. ::p:

I have a job which does actually require a lot of talking to people in person. I'm fine with talking to total strangers, but it's dealing with co-workers who I have to get to know on a deeper level that's tough for me. Some I'm comfortable with, but others cause me anxiety on a regular basis! It's all those questions about what I did over the weekend or on my day off that make me uncomfortable, because the people who ask are mostly very social types. It's not easy, that's for sure. ::eek::

Mostly this.
Surprisingly, I'm quite good at customer service, so it's works out.
I simply tell myself that the people I talk to will go away in a minute and that I will never see or hear from them again...

kristina303

Mostly this.
Surprisingly, I'mm quite good at customer service, so it's works out.
I simply tell myself that the people I talk to will go away in a minute and that I will never see or hear from them again...

Wow I never thought of it like that. I'm gonna look into customer service jobs if I don't get this other job I'm waiting on.

1BlackSheep

You guys are lucky. I'm too scared to even go through an interview.
I think most people are scared of interviews, so you're not alone on that! It does get a little easier over time, the more you do them. Just try to be yourself and smile if possible! I know - easier said than done! :)

If you ever need someone to practice interviewing with, I'd be happy to help!

kristina303

I think most people are scared of interviews, so you're not alone on that! It does get a little easier over time, the more you do them. Just try to be yourself and smile if possible! I know - easier said than done! :)

If you ever need someone to practice interviewing with, I'd be happy to help!

Thank you that's so nice!

Labyrinthine

I've found my job is a good tool to help my anxiety actually. It was far harder for me to handle when I first started than it is now. I've always been fairly good at distancing myself from uncomfortable situations though. For whatever reason, I find it far easier to handle costumers than regular acquaintances.

Labyrinthine

It's quite simple, really, an interview is like a play - you need the act the way the employer wants you to act, to give the answers he wants to hear..

In my experience, this is exactly it. All you need to do is smile and act charming. The questions themselves generally have rather obvious answers.

1BlackSheep

The questions themselves generally have rather obvious answers.
Not always! But, I suppose that depends on what type of work you're interviewing for. I've heard some very odd questions asked to people interviewing for tech/engineer jobs! :eek:

Last edited:

1BlackSheep

Different people, different degrees of anxiety maybe.

I really admire you folks for just going on, getting up and facing people everyday lol. Being independent and all that stuff.

My anxiety has gotten too worse. Skipping school today (again, won't be long till someone will notice). I'm about to throw the towel into the ring and just drop out of high school. Cannot and don't want to continue this for another two years.
Ugh - high school is tough! Not something I'd want to have to do over again, that's for sure! Do your best to get through it because it is important. :)