I can't shut my brain up

starone

Yes, I have similar issues, usually for me the over analyzing occurs after a social situation, or just before I go to bed. I'd go over conversations over and over in my head and beat myself up if I felt I said something stupid. I'd go over little details of my whole day in my head, then begin to worry about the next day especially if Im dreading something. I constantly try to appear "normal" and do all I can to hide my anxiety. Usually this leads to headache for me and often a migraine as well. I do not have any advice for you because I'm going through the same thing and have not found relief yet. I'm taking meds now, but been there and gave up on the counseling thing

just tell yourself the opposite. your pale? you know how many middle eastern/indians wish they had pale skin? they even bleach it some of them. In asia, pale skin is considered very beautiful and what rich have. btw, i hope no one takes this the wrong way.. im just saying the truth, if you think i'm being racist, just google it first and see how many conciser light skin very highly. so that was one example, just look at people who have something that they wish they where more in your shoes, rather then you in theirs... shoot i think i probably confused u lol

luckycharms

Thanks for the welcome and replies.

As for the pale skin....you didn't confuse me. I guess I'd be lucky if I were in Asia, but I'm not, I'm in America where everyone likes a tan. And I'm not just a little pale, hell, you can see my whole circulatory system, lol. I see what you are getting at though and I appreciate your advice and I'll keep it in mind when negative thoughts creep in.

lucky charms im the same way as you. i was never diagnosed with add tho. its especially bad at night. ill just lay there thinking about the stupidiest things and i literally cant stop it. but it happens when im talking with another person too. ill focus so much on my thoughts that i can hardly follow the conversation. ill think things like do they notice this about me, or do they think im stupid. and then when its over i feel like such a failure because i couldn't even focus on a conversation.

i used to take Xanax for anxiety but like you said for adderrall it made me feel like i had a few drinks. I felt like myself when i took it, but to the point where i had no control of what i was doing, as if i was drunk. And not to mention it completely wiped my memory. i was wondering if adderall made you lose control as well? because beside that side effect i would consider going back on meds.

Toomuchfear

I'm glad someone else has an overloaded brain- I thought it was just me. I liken it to a constant battlefield of thoughts!

When I am about to sleep, that is when my brain will really start thinking, it's as if it knows I am trying to relax and I have no distractions. I begin to think about my favourite tv shows and day events, but I don't really want to think about them if that makes sense? I'm thinking 'what if I said this' well meanwhile I'm getting more and more agitated from the lack of sleep !

I suggest some brain calming exercises, like meditation, I have never tried as I don't know how they work.

LonelyWonders

Ya i'm usually the same way.. i'll constantly think of random little crap all day and when I get into a social situation I keep going over it in my head afterword. I think of things I could/should of said and things I shouldn't of said.. Drives me insane =\

djkghigh

only at certain times of day do the racing thoughts come and always after social interaction if any with ppl i dont know too well
for example "did i make a good impression?"
if i encounter someone who decides to disrespect me, i constantly go over it in my mind and it may continue for a few days even though i try not to think it and emotions of negativity will prevail

coyote

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I experience the same problems.

I took Adderall for diagnosed ADD for a few years - i found it worked wonders in keeping myself out of my thoughts and in the present. I'm not taking it anymore for various reasons - mostly because my insurance coverage lapsed.

Another thing you might consider is practicing meditation - particularly mindfulness meditation - it might help you learn to focus on the here and now and get out of your head.

Mindfulness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

luckycharms

Thanks everyone for the ideas, I'm going to look into the meditation. My brother swears by it but I have always doubted my ability to just block out all thoughts.

Cassiestrange...adderall doesn't make me feel drunk, it just takes away my social inhibitions for a short amount of time. I guess you could say it gives me a good sense of well-being. (Ahhhh, how great it would be to be like that naturally!) I love adderall, but it does have it's downfalls...the insomnia, overheating, and the "crash" in the afternoon. Also, I become tolerant to it pretty quickly so I have to take a lot of drug holidays. Adderall is one of the very few drugs that has ever been effective for my depression, too....but like I said Adderall only works for a few hours. But I'll take a few hours a day of happiness and lack of social inhibitions rather than none! And, of course, can't forget the main reason I am on Adderall in the first place....to just be able to concentrate and do my job and temporarily leave the vortex of negative thoughts. If Adderall worked all day, it would be a miracle drug, no doubt.

Hastings & Main

Hi, lucky!
Pretty much the same thing as me: I once described it to a friend that it's like being in a packed movie theatre with everyone talking, and instead of one screen there were three, each one showing a different movie.

Funny how it all shuts up when in a social situation. I guess it's either unfocused thoughts or none at all.

It's worse when they steer you off course suddenly. Like today I sort of snubbed a friend: she was on her way somewhere on the opposite side of the street, I noticed her, but I suddenly panicked (why?) and pretended to search on my MP3 player. It's a very wide street and chances are she didn't even notice me, but still, I feel bad about it. All I had to do was look over and wave...

And I, too, chase after insults or even sideways glances like a scientist. I tell myself straight away that it means nothing, but off it goes to the lab for breakdown. I've slowly taught myself to cut it back and the longest I'll think about it now is much less than a day.

But please don't think you're weak! Anyone fighting this is far from weak...

luckycharms

Hi, lucky!
Pretty much the same thing as me: I once described it to a friend that it's like being in a packed movie theatre with everyone talking, and instead of one screen there were three, each one showing a different movie.

Funny how it all shuts up when in a social situation. I guess it's either unfocused thoughts or none at all.

It's worse when they steer you off course suddenly. Like today I sort of snubbed a friend: she was on her way somewhere on the opposite side of the street, I noticed her, but I suddenly panicked (why?) and pretended to search on my MP3 player. It's a very wide street and chances are she didn't even notice me, but still, I feel bad about it. All I had to do was look over and wave...

And I, too, chase after insults or even sideways glances like a scientist. I tell myself straight away that it means nothing, but off it goes to the lab for breakdown. I've slowly taught myself to cut it back and the longest I'll think about it now is much less than a day.

But please don't think you're weak! Anyone fighting this is far from weak...

I lmao at your scientist statement and taking the insult off to the lab for a breakdown....yes that is what I do! I've tried imagining crumbling up the insult and throwing it, flushing it, kicking it or whatever ...and that worked on a few minor insults. The whole reason I avoid people and relationships is because I don't want to go through the pain associated with insults...and when you are a highly sensitive person insults are a dime a dozen, imaginary and real. I am highly in tune to how people react to me, I pick up subtle things that others may not.

I just wanna be one of those people who get insulted and don't give a damn, they just keep going like nothing happened. Not even a blip on the radar.

And, I don't know why...but I too have avoided acquaintances I've seen in public. There is no good reason for it but I just do. I think maybe because I'm not "mentally prepared." It's weird when I say it now though because I once had a coworker do that to me in a store. I saw him out of the corner of my eye, and ironically he was one of the few people I felt comfortable with, so I turned to say hi to him, but just as I turned I noticed him speed up and try to get over to the next aisle before I saw him. We exchanged a few words, but it was awkward and I remember the fact that he tried to avoid me ruined my day. Looking back though, he had all the signs of someone with social anxiety (30 year old male, still living at home, never went on dates)

I can remember insults with absolute clarity, but I rarely can recall a compliment.

Dark Phoenix...I love the quote about shyness and narcissism. Never thought of it that way.