I am a Study Patient of MiraDry for Hands

sweat2017

It is unacceptable how little information there has been regarding these trials. Like most, I have had severe palmo-plantar hyperhidrosis since birth and have been reliant on other therapies for well over a decade. I need this treatment, and will pay for it. There have been cures for underarm sweating for a long long time, we need something for hands and feet. I have spent over 2000 hours of my life with hands and feet in iontophoresis trays, bear in mind pulsed current machines are fairly recent so most of these hours were also spent in pain. PULL YOUR FINGER OUT miraDry or at least give us an update. What the hell have these people been doing?

AnOnIm

Who knows; maybe they can't make the apparatus work well. It is difficult as I understand it , as it can damage the hands/feet (unlike the devise used for underarm sweating that has some "headroom" so the microwaves don't reach the nerves).
I wouldn't want to have my hands paralyzed by this device.

Last edited:

Brenda

Who knows; maybe they can't make the apparatus work well. It is difficult as I understand it , as it can damage the hands/feet (unlike the devise used for underarm sweating that has some "headroom" so the microwaves don't reach the nerves).
I wouldn't want to have my hands paralyzed by this device.

The thing that avoid frying axillary nerves/ganglion is saline injections ... it works as a cold cushion protecting the tissue behind eccrine/appocrine sweat glands and hair

In hands would be tricky to apply this same technique, since most of sweat glands are located between fingers, an area so thin and full of nerves and bones!

AnOnIm

Wow, really? most of the sweat glands between the fingers :)? I must be different then as I have severe hyperhidrosis in the hands and the amount of sweat is the same in the palm, between the fingers and above the fingers (back side of the fingers). I can see it as the beads of sweat form and drip down. So I would say that my sweatglands are pretty evenly distributed in the palm back side of fingers and between them. If anything, in my case, the palm and back of fingers seem to sweat more than the in between-fingers part.
Here are a 2 images of my hands:
https://ibb.co/gU2NYQ
https://ibb.co/ce4Ef5

TravisHD90

Sorry, I am not part of the study anymore so I know as much about it as you guys do. But based on those replies from previous posts. Seems like they are progressing if they are planing to release it in 2017-2018. Fingers crossed everyone.

solutionsexplor

Anybody saw this?? Found it on miramar website

Does miraDry treat hands and feet?

By Miramar Labs

May 28, 2017 FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share
The currently available device should not be used to treat hands and feet. Using a special applicator, we conducted a research study for palmar hyperhidrosis at 3 study sites in the United States. The treatment regimen consisted of multiple treatments over a period of months followed by 6 months of post treatment study visits for monitoring. The study is now closed and we are pursuing commercialization of this applicator sometime in 2018.

Soy Sauce

That's great news! Hopefully the other trials went better than the OP's did. Even if the device doesn't work, it gives me hope that there are companies out there who are researching ways to cure HH. All they needed is some incentive ($$$). If they knew just how many people out there suffer from HH, then a cure equals $$$. Hopefully, companies are realizing this and more companies direct resources to find a cure for HH. Maybe a cure will be found in our lifetime!

solutionsexplor

Makes sense. I was also surprised the lack of media coverage for this breakthrough.
I remember reading so many articles on Miradry when it first came up.

Sprawling

I'm sure it's an expensive proposition for companies to put money into HH when the overall return is probably miniscule especially when insurance doesn't always cover treatment.

Cancer is a money maker. Can you imagine if a cure was released the devastation it would cause to the industry and how many people would be out of work? It's a real money maker as is most major diseases. HH is just not high on the totem pole.

Besides fighting HH I'm also fighting an invisible illness that's either somewhere along the lines of Fibromyalgia and Lyme disease. It's not a cash cow, yet many people suffer with me. My chances of being treated is probably the same as someone curing HH. Many snake oil potions, drinks, vitamins and a great niche for chiropractors. Unfortunately, not much works. HH at least has a few things at best to control what we have at best.

AnOnIm

I would say I'm skeptical. Let's see what they actually put on market. Maybe another over priced machine. I guess we'll just wait and see.

Ya, who knows how well it actually works, I've put a lot of time and money into other ""cures" that were supposed to work and didn't, and so I'm skeptical too. Is it going to effectively treat the WHOLE hand? time will tell... sooo...cautiously skeptical untill it comes out and someone tries it.
+money is a concern, it's expensive ... and a bit dangerous.

Sweats

I am a research patient. As of Oct 1, 2017, the company is currently undergoing a "cooling down period", but is still continuing trials. I have had multiple observations and a number of treatments. The results are very effective. They are not treating fingertips. Men are more difficult than women to treat, but I am a male and it has been working. The recovery is challenging, but depending on career and family situation it may be easier for some. I have seen a lot of posts of people losing hope in this study, but I wanted to let you know it is still ongoing. Let me know if you have specific questions.

-Sweats

I am a research patient. As of Oct 1, 2017, the company is currently undergoing a "cooling down period", but is still continuing trials. I have had multiple observations and a number of treatments. The results are very effective. They are not treating fingertips. Men are more difficult than women to treat, but I am a male and it has been working. The recovery is challenging, but depending on career and family situation it may be easier for some. I have seen a lot of posts of people losing hope in this study, but I wanted to let you know it is still ongoing. Let me know if you have specific questions.

-Sweats

Hey Sweats, I think people are losing hope because we're being told conflicting things. The most recent news we were told was that studies had ended and that they were pursuing commercialization in 2018 (which would be among one of the many postponed dates).

Can you talk a bit about what the treatment was like? How was recovery? You mentioned that they can't treat the fingertips, I'm assuming you mean the area just below the nail on the back of the hand. Could they treat the fingers on the front side of the hand? What are your results like? Do your hands still get sweaty? What percentage do you think your sweat reduced? How many treatments have you received? Have they told you anything about commercialization? Anything about it's use in feet sweating too? How many people did you see in the study?

Do you also have any way to verify that you're in the study? This is the internet and your account was recently made, hope you can understand where I'm coming from.

Sorry for all the questions but like a lot of the people on here, we're desperate for some answers. Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited:

Sprawling

Interesting enough is that fingertips also take the longest to treat when first starting ionto treatments. There must be a lot of nerve endings or sweat glands in the fingertips.

Interesting enough is that fingertips also take the longest to treat when first starting ionto treatments. There must be a lot of nerve endings or sweat glands in the fingertips.

TravisHD90 mentioned that the early prototype used a vacuum-like suction system the same way Miradry does for the armpits in the original post of this thread. If that's the case, it's obviously a lot harder to suction up skin at the fingertips because it's less pliable.

I hope they find a way to treat fingertips too cause having partially sweaty hands is still problematic.

Sprawling

I have gone through phases of doing extra treatments vis ionto for the fingertips and it has always worked in the long term. The big question will be is will Miradry work better than ionto and at what cost?

I have gone through phases of doing extra treatments vis ionto for the fingertips and it has always worked in the long term. The big question will be is will Miradry work better than ionto and at what cost?

Well iontophoresis doesn't work at all for me. I think it's more effective in mild to moderate cases-definitely not severe ones.

Treating focal hyperhidrosis is complicated though because until the sweat is completely stopped, it's really hard to gauge whether any reduction was placebo or not.