I am a Study Patient of MiraDry for Hands

TravisHD90

Hey Guys,

Ive been following this forum for 8 years now but I have never made a post. Like many of you I have been waiting a lifetime for a cure. I am now 25 years old and my main choice of relief has been glyco. I have pretty bad sweating on hands, feet, and underarms. We all know that the MiraDry system works very well for underarms. Miramar now has a new version of it for the hands and feet which is exciting. I was able to get a hold of the research consultant in Santa Clara who is extremely friendly. She contacted me back with news about the upcoming study and I am now officially a patient of it.

I will keep everyone updated on the study. It is not confidential or anything. I asked while I was in there. In fact, they still need 9 more patients. If you live in the California Bay area or Boston, please let me know I can get you in he study asap. It starts end of October. I will be bumping this thread everytime I go in for a visit and tell you what I know.

Fun Facts Learned So far (will update):

- This is the second study I believe for this device. The first study they used a smaller tip, this time the tip of the device will be bigger then previous. This is also not the last study.

- The name of the device is DTS Mini. I guess it can be subject to change, but it is on the contract. Protocol CP-0011

- Patients will be treated with 2x2cm sqaures on one/both hands up to 7 times. ( I hope I get all 7 on both, that's like a free treatment lol)

- In the previous study, they numbed the whole hand by injecting into the nerves on the wrist. This time they are changing it to just injecting lidocaine in the small area of the procedures as needed.

- Each procedure will be about a week apart. They will try to avoid doing the same area back to back because swelling will cause the sweat to reduce and make the results unreliable. Once the swelling recovers we can actually see the real results.

- I am of Asian decent so I asked the nice consultant lady if she thinks its an Asian gene. She said probably not, BUT majority of people who she has seen that has hyperhidrosis are typically slim and lean. That's something to think about ha-ha metabolism? o_O

- Based off the last fact. In Japan, people are very lean and alot of them have to be injected with liquid into the armpit to bloat it up to do the MiraDry Procedure. Without the extra liquid, there would be risk of nerve damage. Nerves do recover themselves though.

Study Dates (Will update):

10/08/15 Day 1: Today was mostly paperwork and the first Iodine-starch test to see if I even have hyperhidrosis. I signed consent forms that were 13 pages total. No treatments were done today. The first one will come End of Oct-Early Nov. Then after that they should come very frequently.
I am not allowed to take my Glyco meds on the day of the visits until after i leave the office. So on this day i used topical antiperspirant(Hydrosal gel) for my underarms, which made me realize something.... I sweat a lot less on the hands when my armpits are not sweating(anxiety sweating because of sweating?lol). I don't know if it was because i got some of the gel on my hands or what, but that was really weird. During the Iodine test, i actually was forcing myself to get more nervous so i can sweat more. But overall i did sweat enough to qualify for the Study. Phew...
----------------------------
11/05/15 Day 2: I had the first procedure done today. The room was more crowded than expected. Engineers of the Machine were there too. I barely felt anything during the procedure but the injections did sometimes have a spike of minor pain. Nothing to make you scream. I was treated in three areas on the left had only. Each area was injected once, a few inches away from the treatment spot. Then a bigger needle was used to spread more medication underneath the skin (This was the worst part, it just look so scary and where most the pain came from). My hand is super numb right now so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jzkouf8kduzakh5/IMG_20151105_181238.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6p29obgb4heuo1q/IMG_20151105_185615.jpg?dl=0

------------------------------
11/18/15 Day 3: We ended up doing the same hand again in different areas. They did the iodine test and we did see some spots that were kind of noticeably better. But by the looks on their faces, they too are not exactly sure. I learned today that the treated areas are way smaller than i thought it would be. If we did see any changes it is only little dots. The machine is about 1 inch by 1 inch but the actual treated area is like smaller than a grain of rice. So, the reduce sweating i experienced was most likely due to swelling =(. They said this time the energy level was increased, so i hope we see better results. They monitored my hands to see if the skin got too red, being careful not to cause any damage i guess. Recovery is the same as before. i barely feel anything the next day. I can still find the slightly painful areas if i poke at it hard enough.

Good God i can never get used to the needle. The pain itself is not too bad but the mental pain and anticipation kills you. You don't know when the pain hits. I have never seen a whole needle go into anyone and then moving around under the skin like a clock until now. It goes all the way in, the whole needle lol. Luckily the way of numbing the hand is still subject to change. They are trying to find a solution to the pain because the hands are very sensitive.

Heres an image of after procedure. The brown circles are where they think they noticed some changes, and it is pretty much the area of the last treatment. It is not for sure or that big, Just a rough idea. The blue dots guides the Doctor and the machine placement, but it is not exactly the area getting treated( somewhere close to it)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lopttp7ytr5jr4a/IMG_20151118_192156.jpg?dl=0

Here is an image of the numbing technique they used. It's called Fanning.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bcpoezg1y02eh7i/mest1.jpg?dl=0

-------------------------------------------------------------

Day 4: Hey Guys,

Sorry to inform everyone but I had a surprise move during the Holidays.
I no longer live in the Bay Area and had to stop the study.

I went to see them one last time before i moved.
The last visit they did not treat me because there would be no point if they can't see the results later. They did do an Iodine test though. Based on what i can tell, my results were not as good as the last study. They are trying out a different device tip so it's not that surprising. They could clearly make out the areas treated in the last study, but this time It was not very easy to see the spots. I am sure in time they will get it right.

I hope more people would apply for the study. I got paid $240 for my 2 treatments(4 visits total).

I am still in contact with them, they are nice people. If you guys need anything or have any questions let me know.

Last edited:
Hey Travis, thanks so much for taking part of this study! I'm in Canada and so I can't participate in it in unfortunately. This is incredibly exciting news :bigsmile:, there's been talk here and there about some kind of study but no conclusive information but your post gives a much clearer picture of what's going on.

You mention that this is the second study of this device and that a slight modification has been applied. Do you know the results of the first study? Was there any reduction in hand sweating, any nerve damage? You also mentioned that this will not be their final study, did they reveal how many more will be conducted? Thanks in advance and best of luck with the study.

TravisHD90

Hey James, those are excellent questions that i regret to not have asked. I was too excited haha. I will be sure to ask on my next visit (Early November). And yes it is a great relief to know that there really are people working on a cure and we don't have to be left with only rumors and false hope anymore.

That study from Sweathelp.org seems to be a different study from what i can tell. I don't remember the consultant ever mentioning anything about a location in Southern California. Also they state the study will last two weeks. The one i am in will last much longer. 12-18 months. But that is even better news! The more research the better right?! :D

Here are the exact time expected from my study on the contract.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpw9nj0zi2y4i59/Photo on 10-11-15 at 12.20 AM.jpg?dl=0

Updated some information on first post i forgot to mention on my first day.

Last edited:

Moshlwy

Travis you are write this you are still in this study or no sorry for this becuse iam not good in English

I am not allowed to take my Glyco meds on the day of the visits until after i leave the office. So on this day i used topical antiperspirant(Hydrosal gel) for my underarms, which made me realize something.... I sweat a lot less on the hands when my armpits are not sweating(anxiety sweating because of sweating?lol). I don't know if it was because i got some of the gel on my hands or what, but that was really weird. During the Iodine test, i actually was forcing myself to get more nervous so i can sweat more. But overall i did sweat enough to qualify for the Study. Phew...

TravisHD90

I am still in the study. I just cannot take the meds on the day of study and avoid taking antiperspirants too. My next visit should be in less than a month. It will be my first treatment. No Specific date yet.

Jezza

That's pretty good news...I have had decent succes with ionto on my palms and I'd probably be able to get my feet dry as well with a meticulous ionto schedule but it is a pain in the *** doing the treatments. It takes up so much time plus you're tied to the machine having to be around if you go anywhere for more than a week (my hands keep dry for a few days at best if I stop treatments).

I recently found out there is actually a medical facility here in the Netherlands that does the Miradry treatment. 'Of course' it's not insured and I believe it costs 1500 Euros for axillae. I haven't bothered with it cause really in the scheme of things axillae are the least of my problems, not because they're not a problem but the hand/feet/groin regions pose bigger challenges so getting my pits dry while welcome would not make that much of a difference in the bigger scheme of things right now.

A permanent solution for hands (and feet) would be most welcome though. Then I only need to find a solution for the dreaded swamp *** (excuse le mot) that rears its ugly head too often.

I'd be interested to try it if they're looking for patients here but I suppose they're not.

One question I would have is how about compensatory sweating? Is more body HH an issue with the treatments in general? Maybe they already have some data on that from the axillae treatments. If it is a worry I'd personally consider leaving the pits as is so heat can still dissipate there on most days and for those moments that soggy pits are even more unwanted than usual I find it's the only area that responds well (most of the times) to a couple of the strongest antiperspirants.

Last edited:

TravisHD90

I have never heard anyone talk about compensation sweating with MiraDry. If you look at realself reviews. It's been pretty positive for over 90% of the reviews. If I remember correctly. The sweat glands are actually destroyed. Unlike ets where they cut the nerves. So I don't think compensation sweating is a problem with other procedures except ets.

Last edited:

Mkostera16

Really good thread. Keep us updated! This could be a miracle for us. Do they also have a test for feet or is this just for the hands?

Sprawling

I believe that compensatory sweating will go where ever the sweat ceases to go before treating a said area. When I treat my hands, another part of my body increases sweat production. On the rare occasion I treat under my arm pits, sweat increases elsewhere. It's just the nature of what happens with us.

tiago1995

So nice to hear about this, and I'm also quite jealous of you for taking part in such a study for free. lol

Please do keep us updated. :)

Jezza

I believe that compensatory sweating will go where ever the sweat ceases to go before treating a said area. When I treat my hands, another part of my body increases sweat production. On the rare occasion I treat under my arm pits, sweat increases elsewhere. It's just the nature of what happens with us.

This is partly my experience as well...although there is a bot of the opposite as well which probably has to do with reduced anxiety. If I get my hands dry with ionto I'm slightly less anxious and I feel that makes me sweat a bit less elsewhere under normal circumstances, but then when I go work out or play some basketball I get the impression there is some compensatory sweating on my arms et cetera. Having said that I started playing again earlier this year (recreationally) and in my team of grown men in the age range early 20s late 30s there are quite a few who get a pretty good sweat on. The main difference is when we have a small break they seem to relax very quick and dry up, while I if anything just start sweating more. Seems like the system just doesn't relax...I feel like an F1 car stationary in the pits slowly boiling over cause it's no longer fed cold air by going fast.

Sprawling

The main difference is when we have a small break they seem to relax very quick and dry up, while I if anything just start sweating more. Seems like the system just doesn't relax...I feel like an F1 car stationary in the pits slowly boiling over cause it's no longer fed cold air by going fast.

I agree. It seems to take awhile for our system to relax and slow down. After doing any kind of physical labor or anything that amps up our body the sweat seems to poor out after we stop. For the most part when my hands are dry I tend to relax easier and sweat less. The exception being it depends on how hot it is outside and what I'm doing. Activity of almost any sort usually produces sweat. With me, during the warmer months the butt sweating is awful. It's something I just learned to live with almost all my life. It is what it is.

hh_sucks

will they make for other areas too? Like face, chest, and back?
Trunk area would be great for bad compensatory HH sufferers.

TravisHD90

I just posted Day 2 Treatment Update, check original post

will they make for other areas too? Like face, chest, and back?
Trunk area would be great for bad compensatory HH sufferers.

I don't think there has been any mentions of this but if hands and feet works out, i don't see why not.

You mention that this is the second study of this device and that a slight modification has been applied. Do you know the results of the first study? Was there any reduction in hand sweating, any nerve damage? You also mentioned that this will not be their final study, did they reveal how many more will be conducted? Thanks in advance and best of luck with the study.

The only thing i was told is that the first study went as expected. So im assuming there were no issues.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Travis. Seeing any results yet? Do you know if the device treats the entire hand, fingers and the spot just below your fingernails included? How bigs the device's tip by the way?

Last edited: