Hyper Aware when hanging out with people

jaim38

I notice that when I hang out with my friends or family, I become hyper aware of my surroundings. I notice every noise that I hear, every person that sits near us at the restaurant, and every little thing that goes on in the background. I pay more attention to the strangers around me than to the people I'm hanging out with. I can't be myself in public at all; sometimes I get so scared and anxious that I become mute and not enjoy the hang-out. Nowadays, when my friends invite me to events such as a party, I decline to go because of this. I know I will act like a stone (sit still and be mute) if I go there.

dottie

Hypervigilance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hypervigilance is an enhanced state of sensory sensitivity accompanied by an exaggerated intensity of behaviors whose purpose is to detect threats. Hypervigilance is also accompanied by a state of increased anxiety which can cause exhaustion. Other symptoms include: abnormally increased arousal, a high responsiveness to stimuli, and a constant scanning of the environment for threats.[1][2] In hypervigilance, there is a perpetual scanning of the environment to search for sights, sounds, people, behaviors, smells, or anything else that is reminiscent of threat or trauma. The individual is placed on high alert in order to be certain danger is not near. Hypervigilance can lead to a variety of obsessive behavior patterns, as well as producing difficulties with social interaction and relationships.

gg1978

I'm completely the same as you so when friends ask me to go out with them for drinks down town, I never go because I'm spending my time being paraniod about what the public are doing around me. I only really go out to the cinema with my partner because I know no one will be looking at me and I feel safe.:)

jaim38

Thanks everyone for your responses! Now I know the name for this condition and that I'm not alone.

Nanita

I notice that when I hang out with my friends or family, I become hyper aware of my surroundings. I notice every noise that I hear, every person that sits near us at the restaurant, and every little thing that goes on in the background. I pay more attention to the strangers around me than to the people I'm hanging out with. I can't be myself in public at all; sometimes I get so scared and anxious that I become mute and not enjoy the hang-out. Nowadays, when my friends invite me to events such as a party, I decline to go because of this. I know I will act like a stone (sit still and be mute) if I go there.

I know what you mean. And it´s really hard.
I am way too aware, mostly aware about myself, how I may seem to other people, what they think of me and so on. Waaay too self conscious. I think this is a classic social phobia kinda struggle. I also sometimes feel a need to control my surroundings, like if I can´t control it, I might get too nervous about all those unknown factors - especially in social situations. Yeah it pretty much sucks.

MollyBeGood

I have this too. It comes and goes but it is very disturbing. I was thinking about this lately and when I am stressed it comes on and it makes any situation a million times more intense. It's pretty much why I avoid stress like the plague anymore. PTSD related really makes me think.....

ImNotMyIllness

During my college years this was a huge issue for me. I've learned to ignore my surroundings but it still comes and goes. Sometimes, I'm unable to focus on the person in front of me because of all of the distractions from other people. I hate when that happens!